PDA

View Full Version : XMas Revisited Again!

Vierge99
01-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Okay, over the XMas season I ordered the following products:

- Injen Short Ram
- Nology Hotwires
- Denso Iridium Spark Plugs
- Skunk 2 Shift Knob
- DC Sports Headers

My car already had a CF hood from VIS installed and a Skunk2 Catback. Well finally this morning I got around to installing some of my XMas bounty. Why not earlier? Well I ordered all parts through Mantaray Motorsports (mmrusa.com) a day before new years eve. I paid $200 extra for Next Day shipping. Unfortunately problems with products not in stock caused my delivery to be late. So the wonderful folks at MMR refunded the cash for next day shipping, made my shift knob free and STILL sent the products next day delivery when they came in. So last night I finally got my stuff from UPS.

This morning I installed the spark plugs first. I found that the stock EP (2003) already has iridium spark plugs but they're from NGK. Also since I drive my car like an idiot most of the time, my plugs were coated in a healthy layer of carbon build-up. So I got those in fine. Then I installed the Hotiwires. The instructions have pics but they are hard to see and the text can only really be understood by mechanics. So these things were a pain in the arse to put in. After an hour of wrangling with the wires the have to be stripped from their shielding I finally got them in. It's nice how they use the stock plugs to connect the hotwires. If anyone wants more detailed instructions or tips on putting these things in, email me at Valence808@yahoo.com

Next I put in the intake. I had built it last night so basically all I had to do was drop it in and connect some hoses. Easy! It took maybe 10 minutes to put this thing in.

Then with a nervous and cautious turn, I started the car and it roared to life. No problems. No weird Noises. No changes in engine temp or anything out of the ordinary. It was great. Three products I installed myself in about 2 hours.

The result?

I test drove my car being careful at first. Then I found a nice straight stretch of road and really tested the new stuff. DAMN! I'm still smiling hugely. I have physical proof that my car has more torque...

Usually, I would be at a stop, I'd put the car in first gear, I'd slam on the gas, and go flying. By the time my car was tach'd out I would only be at like 30 mph or something. But with the new parts, I was going way faster in first gear when it was tach'd out. I'm very happy with the result. And I haven't even gotten the headers in yet.
WOW!

So at the moment I've got a set of DC Sports headers and some X2 fenders from aspecmotorsports.com sitting around awaiting install. A shop said that with paint and install, the set of fenders would be $250. Not bad especially since I CAN'T install these myself or paint them. And a shop downtown says that my headers will cost $60 to install. I can't wait.

Peking
01-21-2004, 03:39 PM
That is great man, post up again after you put on the headers. Post plenty of pics :)

ATRIOT
01-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Wouldnt you be "taching" out at the same speed regardless of an increase in power, due to the set ratios of the transmission?
ie 3200rpm will allways = 100km/h ?

anjapower
01-21-2004, 03:48 PM
that's great man, glad you're happy. But like someone said, you're still going the same speed, just accelerating faster. Your gear ratios would have to change in order for you to be going a different speed.

Vierge99
01-21-2004, 10:47 PM
Okay, I don't know as much about cars as everyone else, BUT, what happened is true. I tested it about ten times today to the same effect. lower RPM's AND less gas pedal is getting me to higher mph's then before. I've made no changes to the tranny other then mounting my Nology bracket to the outside of it. I'm not trying to be an @ss I'm just telling you all what happened. :(

When my tacj hit 7k today in 1st gear I was at a higher mph then I was at with my stock EP.

Vierge99
01-21-2004, 10:55 PM
This could be wrong but my theory on what happened:

The parts I installed this morning gave my car more torque which means that the engine doesn't have to spin as fast (less rpms) to achieve equal or greater power then it had before.

Let's say for a second that one revolution of the engine moved your car one foot. Okay? I know that's way off but just hear me out.

Now you add parts to your car which increase torque.

Now, the engine technically only had to spin like 3/4 turn or 1/2 turn to move the car the same foot.

So less of a spin per foot means less RPM's for the same or higher speed.

ep3hatchattack
01-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Thats awsome man, i am glad that you are happy with it........ just to make it feel chrismas like for ya........ merry christmas..... :) follow up about the headers because i am very curious. thanks bro.... dave

ATRIOT
01-21-2004, 11:03 PM
Sooo following that logic, if i get a turbo that doubles my power, i could be cruising down the highway at 200km/hour @ 3000rpm??? lol! I wish it was that way!

2k2SiAutoXer
01-22-2004, 01:59 AM
sorry, but since there is a mechanical connection between the engine and the trans/ wheels you could have all the power in the world and the engine would still have to make the same rpms to turn the wheels one rotation. Since you added power, it just does the work a little faster and with a bit more force.

--Tom

dj addicted
01-22-2004, 07:34 AM
I looked up those fenders and I like the way they look.. please make sure you post pics of them when you get them painted and installed!! I really would like to see how they look installed