PDA

View Full Version : Snow/Rain/Crap Tires

BluePearl03Si
01-21-2004, 11:52 PM
I need a good set of snow tires for my EP, I'll be mounting them on the stockies since I still have them and don't feel like wasting money on steelies which look ugly as fuck anyway.

Anything with the Snowflake/Mountain" logo and M/S rating works, which allows a 2WD Vehicle to avoid using chains in Oregon(I have to carry them though, but in general snow tires get you the same legal status as someone with AWD with snow tires who need to carry chains anyway...

I don't want studs because these tires are going to be used maybe once or twice a week going into the snow, but they need to meet M/S Requirements and have the "Snowflake/Mountain" Logo according to the ODOT Site.

I want something that is good in the rain, and is decent on dry roads in the winter.

Any advice on tires?

RedLight_Si
01-22-2004, 12:09 AM
I have Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's on my EP and I am very happy with them. I originally had them on my 2002 Civic EX Coupe,which I traded, so they are little bit narrower than stock(185 vs. 195). I feel confident with them in the rain. They are a softer tire so they will wear a little faster than other tires. As far as dry roads go,they are awesome. They handle so much better than the stock tires,which is saying alot for a snow tire. They seem like performance tires to me. The car is much more planted with these tires. I researched alot before I bought these. If you look at some of the tire surveys for these tires on tirerack.com,almost everyone raves about them.

AkronSi
01-22-2004, 07:43 AM
I really like the Kuhmo I'ZEN Stud Snow Tire. They handle great in the snow. They aren't the best on wet or dry roads, but they aren't terrible either. These are the only snow tires I've owned so I can't compare them to anything. But, they do great for me. I've even taken a couple long trips with them on the car, and they performed flawlessly. One of the trips was about 400 miles or so round trip, the other one was like 1600 round trip.

As a bonus, you can get them studded, mine are not, and they are super cheap. They are definately worth a look.