PDA

View Full Version : My first road trip in my new Si

quincy04si
01-22-2004, 07:43 AM
I'm heading out today after work, from Boston down to Wilmington, Delaware to visit my girlfriends relatives for the Chinese New Year. It's the first long trip for my 04 Si.

So...is the car as uncomfortable on long trips as everyone makes it out to be?

After dring an Accord for 2 years my girlfriend now complains about the stiff suspension on the Si. I don't think it's that bad, I hope to hell she dosen't complain during the trip.

fsugatorbait
01-22-2004, 07:47 AM
I took my si last summer from CT to miami beach, and have done numerous smaller trips from CT to Jersey. I absolutely love the car for trips and get excited when I have the opportunity to take her on an extended drive. Enjoy your trip and be safe. :D

SilverEpInDc
01-22-2004, 08:33 AM
I drove from Va to Michagan and it was fine with 3 big ass guys in it and the ep did fine sat a lil low but all 3 of us were comfy

quincy04si
01-22-2004, 08:42 AM
You know... I have yet to sit in the back seat of my car. I'll have to try it out :)

BlairSpeed
01-22-2004, 09:51 AM
Went up to San Francisco for new years from San Diego and it was a blast. Going through the grape vine, I was averaging 100mph and my car was fine cruising at that speed. Even though the tach is around the 5k mark, it doesnt seem to bother the car at all and my temp guage never moved at all! Another thing I liked was the top gear passing power above 80mph, no need to downshift at all.

The seats were great and never caused any problems. I love my car! :cool:

danoonez
01-22-2004, 09:59 AM
I make a 600 mile round trip from Dallas to San Antonio about once a month and I have no problems with it. I love driving this car long distance and to be honest I wish the suspension were stiffer. The seats never give me any problem either. Yeah the 4k rpm cruising was slightly bothersome at first (it's not loud or anything...its just that, well, you're making a 4 hour trip at 4k rpm) but I've come to accept that Hondas are just made that way. Road trips in the Si are fun.

MPBSi
01-22-2004, 10:22 AM
I've been from colorado to vegas twice (~800 miles each way), and from colorado to san francisco and back once (just a few weeks ago, about 1400 miles each way). The car was plenty comfortable since the roads are all nice and smooth - but then again I'm pretty used to the suspension, and stock it isn't all that rough, so I don't know what people complain about. Gas mileage sucked big time (~24mpg) on my last trip since it was through a bunch of winter storms and it seemed like there was always a huge headwind. Nothing like having your foot planted on the gas and watching the speedometer continue to go down... on previous trips I've gotten 34mpg pretty regularly.

On a side note, I have huge turbo envy at high altitude now after driving the car at sea level. It's just weak as hell up here at 6,500ft. But it was a blast while I was in the bay area. Oh, and ipods rule for long road trips.

Mugen Power
01-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I think the EP is a fine car to travel with. Just be sure to watch your speed cuz in that car, it never looks or feels as fast as it really is going. ;)

DavidT
01-22-2004, 01:51 PM
Dude I just made a trip to Torrance, Ca. and back last Tuesday. Totalled 1056 miles from my house and back in less than 24 hours ;) I had no complaints as far as ride (Lowered on H&R), power was great, seats were comfy and my EP was a joy to drive. I drive at least 60-70 miles a day (Commuting to college and back) and have no issues with the EP on long trips. On the interstate I just set the cruise at 75-80 MPH and steer :D

FCobra94
01-22-2004, 04:01 PM
Have made two trips to CT from MD in the EP and it was a blast both times :) Even w/ two other passangers in the car.

The only thing that I hated was the rain on the way back last time...lousy stock windshiled wiper blades! :mad:

Anyways, you should have a blast :)

Tenacious G
01-22-2004, 06:17 PM
the one extended trip i've been on was about a 6 1/2 hour drive one way w/ four people in the car. i was reasonably comfortable, even in the back seat. it's relatively quiet considering it's a 4-cylinder. got about 31 mpg. ride isn't exceptional considering the stiff stock spring rates ... but it was never jittery or bouncy.

JBS02
01-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Despite having minimal adjustments, the Si seats are surprizing comfortable. I did experience some minor neck pains due to the cupped upper portion of the seat; however, after installing the RSX rear sway bar, my neck problems have been greatly minimized on long drives. I guess now with the flatter cornering, my head isn't getting tossed around as much - the 02 Si with its pencil-thin, stock rear sway bar exhibited terrible body roll and hop at higher speeds. Your 04 Si sports a larger rear sway and retuned suspension, so hopefully your covered there.