PDA

View Full Version : Axle seal leaking

Stas03Si
01-22-2004, 02:11 PM
Anyone have this problem? A few days after I got Sportlines put on, i noticed there was some oil underneath my car in the garage. As it turnes out the seal coming out of the tranny on the passenger side is leaking a bit. So that kind of sucks. Just seeing if anyone else has experienced similar problem.

Vertigo
01-23-2004, 01:38 AM
I don't see any reason that this should be occuring. During your install, did anything happen to cause this problem? Did your axels come out of the tranny? If not then it might just be a bad seal..under warranty. Also, are you sure it's not oil the you forgot to clean off the subframe during a resent oil change just driping on the ground?

Stas03Si
01-23-2004, 08:09 AM
I'm pretty sure the axles stayed in tackt during the install. A few days later I was playing around with the car, makeing some hard turns and I made a hard left and I heard a loud pop. I didn't hit a bump or anything it was pretty smooth as far as i could tell. And I've looked at the filter and drain plug, and they're dry, and its definitely coming out of the seal. So we'll see, hopefully the warranty will cover it.

andy
01-23-2004, 08:17 AM
The rubber boot that goes around the joint where the axle meets
the transmissions should have a noticeable tear if it is "leaking".
I had to take mine off during coilover install, but I can tell you
that there definitely isn't "oil" in there, at least not motor
oil. It's a yellowish green goop/lubricator and looks nothing like
motor oil. So if it's motor oil you are seeing, it's definitely
not coming from there. Could be transmission fluid, possibly, but
I still think that would be unlikely (for it to be coming out of
the boot).

EDIT: Nevermind, you said it was coming out of a seal in the tranny.
Sounds like tranny fluid, then.