PDA

View Full Version : how long have yall...

IIx 03 EP xII
01-22-2004, 06:04 PM
how long have all of yall been lowered on just springs with the stock struts? my dad is freakin out cuz one of his friends told him that lowering springs will ruin the suspension of my car. i plan on getting aftermarket struts as soon as possible... but i just need to know how long i can wait for that. thanks guys.

SiRacer03
01-22-2004, 06:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that drops between 1-1.5" should let the stock shocks last for a while. Anything 2" or lower will probably blow within months.

IIx 03 EP xII
01-22-2004, 07:31 PM
come on guys... i need some information... i know most of yall are dropped on stock shocks? how are they doing???

4g63dsm
01-22-2004, 07:36 PM
i have stechs, the ride is like stock, my shocks are fine and i've had them for about 4 months now. Some people experince popping sounds with these springs but i haven't had any problems. the drop is suddle but nice. The only regret i have is that the spring rates are so soft , so they're not ideal for performance. but in general if you get a small drop like 1.5 your shocks won't blow as fast. I know you mentioned after market struts, but so far the struts for our car suck. if you think you are going to go with aftdr market sturts any ways save your money and buy a true coilover like hayame of tein basic.

IIx 03 EP xII
01-22-2004, 07:47 PM
well... the reason i ask is cuz i have H&R springs on the way... so i know ill have to get some wonderfully crappy KONI yellows in the near future... but i just wanted to know how long. how much would an install cost on the koni yellows since the struts will have to be modified? and will the koni's last a while? im full of questions cuz im a newb to all this.

31102si
01-22-2004, 07:53 PM
dropped over a year with GC's no problems. dropped really low at first I am atleast 1.5 right now. you should not have any problems for awhile.

dofu
01-22-2004, 07:54 PM
i dropped my car in september, '02 and i just changed them out.

Peking
01-22-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by SiRacer03
I'm pretty sure that drops between 1-1.5" should let the stock shocks last for a while. Anything 2" or lower will probably blow within months.

They will not blow in months. This has been covered so many times already.

Originally posted by IIx 03 EP xII
well... the reason i ask is cuz i have H&R springs on the way... so i know ill have to get some wonderfully crappy KONI yellows in the near future... but i just wanted to know how long. how much would an install cost on the koni yellows since the struts will have to be modified? and will the koni's last a while? im full of questions cuz im a newb to all this.

H&R's are a great choice, many members have them. Including me, also another member here in georgia. Both of us are rolling on stock shocks. Do not get the KONI's, they do not relocate the tire rod. I also remember reading that they do have to be modded to fit. Wait till some one else comes out with something or save up for a better upgrade.

Civicvtec1ps
01-22-2004, 08:06 PM
There are soo many factors that can destroy oem shocks.
Ive had tein s tech springs for 3000 miles so far.

IIx 03 EP xII
01-22-2004, 08:39 PM
thanks for all the information... that first post scared me a little bit. i did a search and wasnt sure of an answer. i didnt think a few months would be a right answer though. i hope some other company comes out with an aftermarket strut for our car, because ive heard alot of bad things about the koni's. thanks again guys.

02SilverSiHB
01-22-2004, 08:42 PM
it all depends man. They may go out next month or go out 2 years from now. Just depends. My stock rear strut had springs on them for about 4 months. I took them out, put the new konis in and when I did, I looked at the stock ones (the rears) and they were fine. Then months later, I needed to swap my rear stock ones in temporarily for a part I needed from koni...well, 2 hours after driving, my rear was unstable. Bouncy and scary as hell going round corners...felt like my damn tires were coming off. Next day, got my parts, went to install the koni and one of my rear shocks was leaking oil like a mother! Usually the piston of the shock will go back up when released...not anymore, it just stayed down and when I pushed it down, it went down too easy...blown right hell up.

estebones
01-22-2004, 08:47 PM
well i have been dropped for about 2-3 weeks and no problems so far the ride is not as bouncy as I thought it would be but this set up is just temporary.

you should be fine with the stock shocks, even if you go lower than 1.5, as long as you dont take a year or so to upgrade your shocks.

styllinep3
01-23-2004, 08:07 AM
ive got 9 months on teins andthe stock struts are just about shot

SiR_d1
01-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Tein S Tech going on 8 months and shocks are still fine

i-WERKS
01-23-2004, 09:46 AM
skunk2's for 1.5 years. Still rides fine. No blown shocks. At one point it was lowered more than 2.25 inches for a year. It just bottoms out a lot so i raised it up. I'd recommend that you go full coilovers/suspension instead of strut and spring combo. It's not that much more expensive. I did it the wrong way and now i'm coughing up more $$$ for mugens.

styllinep3
01-23-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by styllinep3
ive got 9 months on teins andthe stock struts are just about shot

let me repfrase this. the ride is still good, but i have to swerve to avoid potholes, or it feels like the cars gonna break. as apposed to the first six months it wanst that bad.

klik
01-23-2004, 11:41 AM
8 months here on tein, saving for Tein Basic