PDA

View Full Version : sagging springs

dustinhurley
01-22-2004, 06:27 PM
I'm about to order a new suspension. As most of us are, I'm debating between Mugen and Tein Basic. The main reason I don't want Mugen is because I'm afraid of the springs sagging. My current Sprint springs sagged a lot, even though guarenteed not to. And it happened on my old Civic with Eibachs. So, the adjustability of the Teins gives me some security on that issue. My question is, do you think the spring Mugen uses can/will sag? Thanks.

the JigGa mAn
01-22-2004, 11:25 PM
what does it mean when your springs "sag"? ive never heard of this term before

irrational
01-22-2004, 11:28 PM
i think that he is reffering to uneven wear. for example when the driver's side ends up notitcably lower than the passenger's. mugen is not low enough in my opinion anyways.

BSEVEER
01-22-2004, 11:43 PM
It means that over time the springs will compress and become shorter, making the car lower than it was when the springs were new. All springs will do this to some degree, some more than others.

the JigGa mAn
01-22-2004, 11:53 PM
ok cool...now back to the this young mans origional question...will the mugen sag? (i am also considering a set of those they are pretty cheap)

Vertigo
01-23-2004, 01:31 AM
Usually it take quite sometime for some spring to "sag". I figure it takes anywhere from 2-4 years for this to occur. I don't believe that anyone has had their Mugen suspension for that long.

the JigGa mAn
01-23-2004, 10:28 AM
what would you do when your springs start to sag? just buy a new set of springs?

dustinhurley
01-23-2004, 12:09 PM
I've had my Sprint springs for a year, maybe longer. They have sagged a lot in the rear especially. Started out at 2" drop. I'd say it has sagged to about 2.5" or so in the rear. I don't think they will sag any lower, however. It just makes sense to me that any spring will sag over a period of time. In my experiences, it takes about 1 year. It is sort of a break in period. Only problem is, none of us buy springs that will be the desired stance in a year from now, so we end up having cars sitting lower than we want. I'd like to hear a manufacturer's opinion on this.

Si Death
01-23-2004, 02:53 PM
i heard mugen makes pretty good stuff and its by the same OEM company. i dunno, i just think mugens will not sag as badly as sprint springs, plus its a 1.4 in drop so yah

Ocelot
01-24-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by the JigGa mAn
(i am also considering a set of those they are pretty cheap)

if you think $1000 is cheap, toss some of that excess my way. :P

now, I say that because he was comparing them to Tein basics, which are coilovers, so I assume he meant the Mugen suspension kit. If you meant just the springs, even those are like $300+ just for a pair! (from a very quick scan at king motorsports)