PDA

View Full Version : to hondata or v-afcII

VIZHUNZ02SI
01-22-2004, 07:04 PM
which one should i do

Tenacious G
01-22-2004, 07:07 PM
depends on what future plans you have for your car.

SpoonEP3
01-22-2004, 07:12 PM
if you are planning to go all motor with no swap, you should go hondata. it took my ep to 8000rpm and when the vtec kick-in it felt great...

idrive
01-22-2004, 07:25 PM
it doesnt really matter what you do with the car...
its all preference...
VAFC is simply an a/f controller which modifies the signal your ecu recieves. in english- its just tricking your ecu to do what you want it to do.
Hondata actually re-maps your ecu to do what you want it to do. its not getting tricked. OBVIOUSLY you can do more with hondata because it is not JUST an a/f controller.

OK and seriously, how many times does it need to be said.
VTEC x-over on our car is 2200... whatever you think youre feeling at anything above that ISNT VTEC "kicking in" :banana:

Vertigo
01-22-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by idrive
VTEC x-over on our car is 2200... whatever you think youre feeling at anything above that ISNT VTEC "kicking in" :banana:
TRUE! HAHA..vtec "kicking in". Go with the Hondata. If you got the green opt for the programable one.:)

Tenacious G
01-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by idrive
it doesnt really matter what you do with the car...
its all preference...
VAFC is simply an a/f controller which modifies the signal your ecu recieves. in english- its just tricking your ecu to do what you want it to do.
Hondata actually re-maps your ecu to do what you want it to do. its not getting tricked. OBVIOUSLY you can do more with hondata because it is not JUST an a/f controller.

actually, it does matter. on hondata's Web site, the reflash description says it is not tuned for FI or N20, so if he were wanting to go this route down the road, then save the $600 and just go with an SAFC ... which would be much more useful in a FI engine.

Dunrick
01-22-2004, 08:35 PM
Get Hondata. VAfcII wont do jack but look stunner for the ladies.

STP03BlueSI
01-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Dunrick
Get Hondata. VAfcII wont do jack but look stunner for the ladies.

Give it that BLING BLING look.:D

fsugatorbait
01-22-2004, 09:37 PM
The VAFC is definatly something you should look into, id even suggest it with hondata. There is a thread over in the engine forum currently that talks about how there was a noticable gain after tuning it. Hondata is optimized for a CAI only, if you have header, test pipe, and exhaust there is more a/f tuning that can be done.

Tenacious G
01-22-2004, 10:52 PM
fsugatorbait ... are you refering to dobiejoe's posts?

i'd still like to see an independent dyno of an A3 w/ I/H/E before and after tuning with an A/F controller. since the A3 head lacks real VTEC, it's pretty restrictive in the amount of air it can move. therefore, i don't see tweaking A/F ratios creating more than 5-6 whp on a good day ... but i could be wrong. i'm all for a cheaper alternative to hondata, but i'd first take the extra revs over a nominal power increase.

idrive
01-23-2004, 02:42 AM
hmm i think you guys are stuck on only what the current hondata re-flash can do... I refer to hondata, not as just a reflash, but as a standalone... yes its still a honda ecu... but internally its completely different? ionno if this is making sense...
but i think you guys really underestimate hondata BIG time...

fsugatorbait
01-23-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Tenacious G
fsugatorbait ... are you refering to dobiejoe's posts?

i'd still like to see an independent dyno of an A3 w/ I/H/E before and after tuning with an A/F controller. since the A3 head lacks real VTEC, it's pretty restrictive in the amount of air it can move. therefore, i don't see tweaking A/F ratios creating more than 5-6 whp on a good day ... but i could be wrong. i'm all for a cheaper alternative to hondata, but i'd first take the extra revs over a nominal power increase.

Yeah, thats the post, id say even with hondata you could stand to gain up to 5 hp. If building the A3 motor to its full potential n/a is your goal than it should definately be an option. Dobiejoe's post is the first to have posted his experience with tuning a VAFC and his settings, and he said that he definately noticed some gains. With hondata, I definately noticed a low end increase but its debatable if anything up top was changed. Depending on what route I decide to go, ill definately keep a VAFC an option.

Dunrick
01-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
Yeah, thats the post, id say even with hondata you could stand to gain up to 5 hp. If building the A3 motor to its full potential n/a is your goal than it should definately be an option. Dobiejoe's post is the first to have posted his experience with tuning a VAFC and his settings, and he said that he definately noticed some gains. With hondata, I definately noticed a low end increase but its debatable if anything up top was changed. Depending on what route I decide to go, ill definately keep a VAFC an option.

Did he Dyno it? For all we know he is just thinking he feels gains. Like most of us do when we get mods that do hardly anything.

Hachiman
01-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Go for the Hondata and the Bling Bling! Just don't turn on the VII. Leave it for show.

fsugatorbait
01-23-2004, 12:24 PM
Did he Dyno it? For all we know he is just thinking he feels gains. Like most of us do when we get mods that do hardly anything.

He did, read the thread.

DavidT
01-23-2004, 02:06 PM
Think about it, V-AFC II is what $280-325. Hondata reflash $595. Save you the hassle of tuning the V-AFC and paying a shop for your dyno runs ($100 for three pulls usually so total about close to $400 already for the V-AFC) and you'd probably still get smoked by a Hondata equipped behicle cause everytime you shift the Hondata Si keeps pulling cause it's got more revs left and when the Hondata guy shifts he falls right back into the sweet spot 5800-6000 RPMs. If you had i/h/e+V-AFC II and you raced a i/h/e+Hondata you'd loose.

Not only that, Hondata really improves part throttle acceleration. That's the thing I love most about my reflash and I've gotten really good gas mileage lately too not sure if it's because it's getting warmer or if it's Hondata.

Dunrick
01-23-2004, 03:12 PM
He did, read the thread.

Yeah, he dynoed it, but not a before and after...And this dyno was 20whp off? What? I think he knows what he is talking about, but who knows, maybe he has a bad butt dyno. I never trust butt dyno.

Gator, you should be a pioneer and dyno, buy it, then dyno. I will trust that.

fsugatorbait
01-23-2004, 03:43 PM
Gator, you should be a pioneer and dyno, buy it, then dyno. I will trust that.

Thats what I plan to do as soon as I can. Right now im planning on going with the race version of the JRSC in the summer and would like to be able to have the option to tweak all the power I can out of the motor. Every bit helps if your sticking with A3 and tuning is the key. Im planning to dyno within the next few weeks to get a rough baseline with my current setup and than go from there.

VIZHUNZ02SI
01-23-2004, 05:24 PM
well guys thankx for da info
i would luv to get my hands on hondata but i live in miami,fl
where not one person in bfe here does it. so i would have to leave my car down for about a week or so. but i also like the v-afcII cuz i can tun it for what ever i decide to do whether its boost or na
and as far as installing and tunning i got some peoples ova here
prices range from 150 to 175 tunning included. so im stuck

raiyo
01-23-2004, 05:31 PM
I think piggy backs (control thingy) are useless for our car. Go with Hondata, eventhough it is so expensive.

myeverlovinsir
01-23-2004, 05:36 PM
Thats what I plan to do as soon as I can. Right now im planning on going with the race version of the JRSC in the summer and would like to be able to have the option to tweak all the power I can out of the motor. Every bit helps if your sticking with A3 and tuning is the key. Im planning to dyno within the next few weeks to get a rough baseline with my current setup and than go from there.

Nice, I am still weighing the possibilities of my setup, esentially I have a race header now with the megan high flow cat, primaries are just as big with the DC header. Looking forward to more JRSC setups to see where they fall on the dyno.;)

andy
01-23-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by VIZHUNZ02SI
well guys thankx for da info
i would luv to get my hands on hondata but i live in miami,fl
where not one person in bfe here does it. so i would have to leave my car down for about a week or so. but i also like the v-afcII cuz i can tun it for what ever i decide to do whether its boost or na
and as far as installing and tunning i got some peoples ova here
prices range from 150 to 175 tunning included. so im stuck

You overnight your ECU to hondata, they return it (or should) the
same day they get it. Total downtime of 2.5 days (I sent mine
out Wed, should have gotten it today but due to a mixup, I'll get
it tomorrow).

VIZHUNZ02SI
01-23-2004, 10:01 PM
who 2.5 days r u sure. cant hondata jus supply me with the stuff and ill have some one put it in

fsugatorbait
01-23-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by VIZHUNZ02SI
who 2.5 days r u sure. cant hondata jus supply me with the stuff and ill have some one put it in

Are you serious? :confused:

Have you read a single hondata post?:rolleyes: Do a search, its not even worth repeating again.

Tenacious G
01-23-2004, 11:00 PM
Are you serious? :confused:

Have you read a single hondata post?:rolleyes: Do a search, its not even worth repeating again.

haha, ain't it nice when people do their homework beforehand?

02NJHondaep3
01-24-2004, 09:31 AM
dumb newbie question. Can I use both hondata and VAFC II?

fsugatorbait
01-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by 02NJHondaep3
dumb newbie question. Can I use both hondata and VAFC II?
Yes, I plan on running that setup as soon as I have the money to dyno before and after and for tuning.