PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Grip LSD

Endersi2
01-22-2004, 09:51 PM
I was killing time on nopi and I found they have an LSD kit for our car. It's called Phantom Grip LSD, and what's better it's only 300 plus shipping. Is this the real deal, just cheaper? Is it worth buying? Thanks.

oldschoolimport
01-22-2004, 10:30 PM
it is 2 metal plates with springs between them that go between the spider gears inside the factory dif. when the spider gears go in opposite directions, the plates twist around the spider gear pin and increase pressure on the spider gears in an effort to make them lock (they never do actually lock though). it is better than nothing, but not as good as a clutch or gear dif. the good part is you don't have to set the dif bearings because you are re-installing the same dif, only it is modified. it will probably cost more to have it installed than it costs, unless you are confident you can split the trans and get it back together properly.

SF-SI-02
01-23-2004, 12:16 AM
I saw a honda LSD for a "K20" transmissions the other day for $950, it said it would fit right into our transmission. Is this only for Type-S? Would the honda LSD fit in ours? What type of work is required to fit it in there?

Thanks

2.0L Monster
01-23-2004, 09:12 AM
The ITR LSD should cost about 600 I think. It will fit our cars but 900 is way to much.

oldschoolimport
01-24-2004, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by SF-SI-02
Would the honda LSD fit in ours? What type of work is required to fit it in there?

Thanks as far as I know, the k20 trans are all the same dif dimensions, and the itr dif will work. to install it, the trans will need to be removed and the cases split to get the old dif out. the ring gear and bearings will need to be put on the new dif. now comes the fun part, you have to put the trans back together and check for free play in the dif bearings. once you figure the free play, you have to disassemble it and install bearing shims behind the case side races to set the bearing preload. this process is the main reason the phantom grip is an easier (but not better) alternative. and if anyone tells you that you dont need to mess with setting the dif bearings is throwing a crap shoot. the dif will move front to back and side to side. not much, but enough to cause problems. it will take a while for the problems to show, but they WILL. having it installed by a trans shop will cost $500-1000 + parts. it will be considerably more than a clutch swap, coz they will be doing the trans R&R and busting it open. you would be better off finding an itr lsd tranny off ebay. it is set at the factory, and you can put it yourself. good luck.