PDA

View Full Version : bump steer problem? please define

Ocelot
01-22-2004, 11:01 PM
what is this so-called bump steer problem that we have? What does that mean? This is only my second FWD car, so does it have something to do with that?

rs_1101
01-22-2004, 11:36 PM
alittle. it has to do with the changed angle of your tie rods when your lowered. when you hit bumps it can cause toe to change for an instant causing strange steering effects. bump steer

by the way are you the white ep i found?

Vertigo
01-23-2004, 01:27 AM
Bump steer is the change in the camber throughout the compression and extention of the suspention. IE: Say the front of your car has .5 neg degrees of camber as it is sitting still. As you compress the suspention fully you will gain camber. From -.5 to-1.0(example) The same applys to the extention of the suspention. From -.5 to +.2(example).

klik
01-23-2004, 02:14 AM
is this bad?

Vertigo
01-23-2004, 02:42 AM
No...There is nothing that you can do about it. Except change the starting seting of the camber

tony speed
01-23-2004, 08:57 AM
there is stuff you can do about it. custom fabrication or hope someone other than mugen tries to address the issue.

Vertigo
01-23-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by tony speed
there is stuff you can do about it. custom fabrication or hope someone other than mugen tries to address the issue.
True! I was talking about still using the factory parts(NO). Yes if you go your route.

SiRman
01-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Get a front upper strut bar.
Helps reduce chassis flex in the front end significantly.
Mid corner the steering feels much more linear/stable.
When the chassis flexs (top of the strut towers move) the camber
may be changing slightly, and the change is not equal to both wheels so the steering is a bit whacky. You wouldn't think it could flex that much, but it is a dif. you will notice when you get a strut brace.

klik
01-23-2004, 11:22 AM
a strut bat in the front would be helpful a bit.

Ocelot
01-23-2004, 05:11 PM
thanks everyone. I was planning on getting a strut brace, etc after I lowered it.

rs_1101: no, I have a silver EP. :)

now, I just have to decide between springs and shocks or coilovers. I can't see spending $1000+ on some of these coilovers, when decent springs are less than $200 and shocks/struts are . . . whatever. I mean, I still want some money left to get the camber kits, braces, etc.