PDA

View Full Version : Tail Lamp Swap Guide ('04's -> '03's)

00-ITR-373
01-22-2004, 11:08 PM
Alright. I haven't seen the swap done yet, so I can't answer all your questions. I have done everything I can with the info we all can get off the internet. Everything is arranged neatly, top to bottom. First the lamps themselves, then the sockets, then the bulbs.
Bottom bulb and socket on '04:
Looks like the bottom bulb and socket are the same, simple plug and play between '04 and '03
Middle bulb and socket on '04:
The middle socket and bulb need to be replaced with the top socket on the '03 tail lamps. Hopefully it's a simple re-pinning of the new socket onto the '04 wire harness. I don't know. If it is, simply do that, pop the new bulb in and go. If not, worst case you can snip off the old socket and and solder on the new one.
Top bulb and socket on '04:
Now it gets funny, and since I don't even own an EP, you guys will have to figure the easy details out. The top socket on the '04 will plug into the middle socket of the '03 lamps. Maybe one's a turnsignal and the other isn't, I don't know w/o seing them in front of me. But you do need a different bulb when you plug into the '03.

That being said, here's the image I put together that makes this as simple as it's going to get to understand:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/p60cbe619543665ec7a92a950998fe8ff/f9db4d49.jpg

Now that you've seen the part numbers and what's common and what's not, this really shouldn't be that hard. Please add to this thread with pics and lets have this be the how-to thread for the tail lamp swap. The actual lamps themselves are the same shape and will fit right in. Honda did not change any body metal.

idrive
01-23-2004, 02:44 AM
but... why? o_O
i guess if you like ugly...

STP03BlueSI
01-23-2004, 06:41 AM
How about a diagram or a DIY for Type R tails:D

Type X
01-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by STP03BlueSI
How about a diagram or a DIY for Type R tails:D

when ephatch started there was on

once springtime warms up
i am going to be doing it on my USDM tails

i already have the Unibit and spare sockets:D

Mugen Power
01-24-2004, 12:19 AM
Hey, when you do, please post pics and a how-to! I've been wanting to do that for a while now.

00-ITR-373
01-24-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by idrive
but... why? o_O
i guess if you like ugly...
Please read the title again. 2004 TO 2003 Swap. In most people's opinion this is going FROM ugly TO not ugly. There are only a small few on here who actually post how-to's, and only a small number who actually have cameras and take the time to so do. All the posts I've seen so far are people saying it can't be done.

As for the CTR tail lamp swap. Ha ha...the '04 R's come with the "new" clear lamps.

SONIC SI
02-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Does anyone have anymore info on this?