PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Magnaflow cat-back installed and...

potator
01-23-2004, 06:23 PM
I'm loving it!!
Love the sound, although I'll admit it's one of the louder ones I've heard. Absolutely love the look, and I really can't feel any low end loss at all, just gains from mid to top end. I'm really satisfied with this exhaust, and just had one question to ask:

1. I didn't have my ECU reset with this mod, is it still ok?

2. There is a pretty nasty smell coming from the exhaust; I'm assuming that it's normal due to it setting in the car, and since its brand new, but is this normal?

Please reply! Thanks for reading!:D

jandetuning
01-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Reset your ECU. You will notice a difference. The burning smell is normal, and will go away in a few days.

evilep3
01-23-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by jandetuning
Reset your ECU. You will notice a difference. The burning smell is normal, and will go away in a few days. Ya i got out of my car shortly after I installed it and i thought my car was on fire because of the smell... hahaha then i felt like an idiot when i found out it was normal.

is reseting the ecu something i can do or should i take it in...

Whiteboy
01-23-2004, 10:08 PM
If you think the exhaust is loud, in a couple of weeks it gets quieter. Still noticeable when you get in it, but much more relaxed during other times.

One thing I must say is the exhaust is annoying as Sh*t on the freeway at 70-75 mph, luckily I don't do too much freeway driving :p

fsugatorbait
01-24-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by evilep3
Ya i got out of my car shortly after I installed it and i thought my car was on fire because of the smell... hahaha then i felt like an idiot when i found out it was normal.

is reseting the ecu something i can do or should i take it in...

Unplug your negative battery terminal for about 15 min. Connect it and turn your car on with nothing else on ie. radio, fan, lights, and let it idle till the radiator fan turns on. Just stay off the throttle while its idling and you'll be all set.

Brettnyt
01-24-2004, 10:50 AM
Ive got magnaflow as well and I never reset the ECU... What good will that do me?

denmah
01-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Brettnyt
Ive got magnaflow as well and I never reset the ECU... What good will that do me?

depending on how long you have been running it the computer has probably already adjusted to the extra air on the exhaust end.

but go ahead and do it if you feel like it.

GEMINI
01-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Good to hear you're liking the exhaust, I'm still trying to decide on mine.

chinq6t
01-24-2004, 02:35 PM
hey guys, i'm putting up my exhaust for sale, it's about two months old.. still good conditin for use with awesome sound, a real deep tone and still shiny. i live in CT and im selling it for $250 shipped. questions? email me at chinq6t@hotmail.com , i can send you pictures of it and i'll clean it out for you. thanks

evilep3
01-24-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Whiteboy

One thing I must say is the exhaust is annoying as Sh*t on the freeway at 70-75 mph, luckily I don't do too much freeway driving :p there is a spot at about 80 where it starts to tone down a bit... but ya it is loud. I drive one the highway alot and it is not that annoying after a while, i guess i got used to it.;)

potator
01-26-2004, 09:51 AM
Does anybody know if this exhaust is legal in CA? I'm guessing it is, since it's a USDM product, and I've even visited their office in So.Cal here. But I just want to know if this exhaust is completely lega and safe. Is the sound level within the legal limit? And does this exhaust change anything to our car's smog level? If yes, does it still stay within the legal smog limit??

jandetuning
01-26-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by potator
Does anybody know if this exhaust is legal in CA? I'm guessing it is, since it's a USDM product, and I've even visited their office in So.Cal here. But I just want to know if this exhaust is completely lega and safe. Is the sound level within the legal limit? And does this exhaust change anything to our car's smog level? If yes, does it still stay within the legal smog limit??

It should meet the noise limit based on load and RPM. It will only change emissions in the first couple of days when it is burning in.

Tenacious G
01-26-2004, 10:21 PM
the ECU will eventually relearn and adjust to a bolt-on if you didn't reset it.

potator
01-26-2004, 11:30 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the replies guys. So basically, Am I safe with this exhaust on my EP in CA? Legally speaking. Will I have to worry about cops pulling me over and stuff? And even if they do, am I still safe considering that what I've got is legal? I've got no other mods yet.

sai_iii
02-05-2004, 03:42 PM
will just removing the ecu fuse for about 15 mins reset the ecu?

Rey
02-05-2004, 07:00 PM
The exhaust rocks!!!

HondaMan
02-05-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by evilep3
there is a spot at about 80 where it starts to tone down a bit... but ya it is loud. I drive one the highway alot and it is not that annoying after a while, i guess i got used to it.;)

Agreed (80mph is a "quiet" spot). I love my MagnaFlow. :)

denmah
02-05-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by sai_iii
will just removing the ecu fuse for about 15 mins reset the ecu?

yes, its the easiest way to reset the ecu

denmah
02-05-2004, 09:30 PM
well its been on for a week now, and i like it more and more everyday, WOT just sounds mean as hell when your going down the road. ill get some clips.

master7
02-06-2004, 07:34 AM
Got MAG?...................................(*_*)

Brettnyt
02-06-2004, 11:28 AM
This is the cake i took to a BBQ the week b4 last... Need I say more? http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/p2ae7936943cce57f1d78ecf0f57acf90/f9b3091e.jpg

Gearhead Geek
02-06-2004, 08:16 PM
As far as what people have been saying on here about reseting the ECU, I'm just gonna add my two cents.
I have an Invidia cat-back, and when I installed it I didn't reset the ECU. Ran the car for about 2 months without doing it. Then one day, I was reading through the forums and saw a post that mentioned reseting it for some reason or another, and it hit me that I hadn't done it when I installed the exhaust. After pounding my head on my desk for a few minutes for being such an idiot, and then realizing that my ECU had prolly readjusted itself, so all the pain I inflicted was for nothing, I decided what the hell and went and did it anyways. So I went out, disconnected the negative battery cable for about a minute (and yes, you only need to do it for like a minute), then fired up the car and let it idle for 15 minutes. Right off the bat I noticed my exhaust note sounded slightly different, nothing drastic, but still noticeable. So, then I took it out for a test drive. The result? Well, obviously it's just a butt dyno, but, the torque curve definately evend itself out. Prior to reseting the ECU, around 5800 the car would lose a little bit, and the exhaust would quiet down. After: I seem to have lost a little bit before 2000-ish, however, the 5800-ish choking has disappeared, and the exhaust note, instead of quieting down, just keeps getting louder. Gas mileage has also gone up aproximate 3mpg.
Now, again, this is all based on butt dyno, so, take it how you will, just wanted to add in my two cents as I said. And, look at it this way, never hurts to reset it, not like it does any damage (Aside from having to reconfigure your deck. *mutter* you think by now manufacturers would have been smart enough to add in a small battery so you don't lose all your damn settings *mutter*)