PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Shift Points?

sibaroochi
09-25-2002, 09:54 AM
I'm new to driving manual and I'm still trying to get the hang of driving my Si. I know there's no set shift points but how do you all shift when:

1) starting from a standstill and trying to smoke someone at the light

2) just cruising around town and wanting to save gas

Also, I heard that downshifting during high speeds can help brake the car instead of you using the brake pedals. How does that work exactly? And what does "ratios" mean?

Thanks,
Siby
p.s. I haven't had good acceleration nor gas mileage with my Si and it could be that I'm not shifting at the right times

SBC31
09-25-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by sibaroochi
I heard that downshifting during high speeds can help brake the car instead of you using the brake pedals.
I'm thinking that your questions are simply a joke, but if they are not then:

You should always downshift when driving manual, not just for high speeds.

civic hatch boi
09-25-2002, 10:17 AM
smoke someone: launch at like 2.5-3
save gas: shift at like 3k-3.2k

downshifting will slow you down but i'd rather uses brakes.
only downshift to slow down when you need do .. ie. in the rain

SBC31
09-25-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
downshifting will slow you down but i'd rather uses brakes.
only downshift to slow down when you need do .. ie. in the rain
Dude, this sort of defeats the purpose of having a manual tranny. I can't believe that some of you do not downshift.

02SilverSiHB
09-25-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by SBC31

Dude, this sort of defeats the purpose of having a manual tranny. I can't believe that some of you do not downshift.
I only do it when I know I'll be getting back up to speed, or if I'm going like 100 and am going to stop, I'll use my brakes inconjunction with down shifting, to help save the brake pads

SBC31
09-25-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
I only do it when I know I'll be getting back up to speed, or if I'm going like 100 and am going to stop, I'll use my brakes inconjunction with down shifting, to help save the brake pads
Dude, downshifting and braking in most cases is done "in conjunction with down shifting" unless you are going rather slow. (I was assuming that when downshifting, this was meant in conjunction with braking and so on)

For example, you are going 130 km/h in 5th gear and you need to slow down. So you apply the break just a bit to lower your speed, then as you get close to 100 km/h, you then downshift to 4th gear.

I could be wrong here, but I think some of you are "Rookies" when it comes to driving manual.

DynaSpeed
09-25-2002, 10:44 AM
Yes, SBC - you are correct (with using brakes to slow down)

But we are talking about "engine braking".
So, with your example, 130 km/h to 100 km/h (now 80mph - 62mph, respectively) at 80 downshift to 4th with no brake. The motor will have it come down quite quickly, and used in conjunction with brakes will have the speed come down even more quickly - And, you'll already be in the gear you wish to be in for quick re-acceleration.

nikkotyper
09-25-2002, 10:57 AM
Engine braking is mostly useless. I'd rather replace brake pads than replace a blown engine. In a case of emergency it is easier and faster to hit the breaks and threashold brake than to downshift.
If you read any high performance driving books from the 50s you will see this "engine braking" technique come up lot. It is from the days of skiny tires and fat drivers. All modern books recommend against it. Just learn how to use your brakes... Actually, since we have ABS, this is easy. Be smooth.
I would, however, stay in one gear lower in bad weather conditions. One time during hail I drove in 2nd all the way to Tahoe (on new max perf tires, and high HP RWD car.)

sibaroochi
09-25-2002, 11:14 AM
sweetness... all good advice

civic hatch boi
09-25-2002, 12:22 PM
yes sbc.. of you downshift when u're at a slower speed. DUH
but i'm talking about engine breaking...

BlasTech
09-25-2002, 12:35 PM
Downshifting vs Braking is a long-time debate.

I tend to use downshifting if I want to turn without stopping and I can then exit the turn in gear and take off. I use braking without downshifting if I want to come to a straight stop. I generally go down hills in neutral or 5th if possible.

Someone wise once said: New brakes cost less than new transmissions.

sibaroochi
09-25-2002, 02:57 PM
I heard it's not good to ride the clutch just cruising. Is that true?

hacim
09-25-2002, 03:12 PM
You should never ride the clutch.

sibaroochi
09-25-2002, 03:16 PM
but don't you have to hold the clutch down whenever you brake?

BlasTech
10-12-2002, 11:26 AM
You can brake anytime, clutch up or down, in or out of gear, but you will need to get into neutral sometime before you come to a stop or the engine will buck/die, since the gears will still be engaged with the engine. Try getting in the habit of getting in neutral and off the clutch when you are stopping (full stops).

It just occured to me, if you engine-brake on the highway, no-one behind you sees brake lights. That could be bad.