PDA

View Full Version : which way to go?

Ocelot
01-23-2004, 11:58 PM
I have to decide between springs and shocks or coilovers. I can't see spending $1000+ on some of these coilovers, when decent springs are less than $200 and shocks/struts are . . . whatever they are. I mean, I still want some money left to get the camber kits, braces, etc.

The Mugen Sport suspension kit is $1000. it doesn't say that it is a coilover kit, but it looks decent, and alleviates bump steer.

H&R springs are $149
shocks are $4-500+

. . . I dunno :(

rs_1101
01-24-2004, 12:02 AM
id say get cheapy springs for now. weve got good shocks on the ep. theres alot more options for suspension coming out in the next 6 months.

fsugatorbait
01-24-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Ocelot
I have to decide between springs and shocks or coilovers. I can't see spending $1000+ on some of these coilovers, when decent springs are less than $200 and shocks/struts are . . . whatever they are. I mean, I still want some money left to get the camber kits, braces, etc.

The Mugen Sport suspension kit is $1000. it doesn't say that it is a coilover kit, but it looks decent, and alleviates bump steer.

H&R springs are $149
shocks are $4-500+

. . . I dunno :(

It all depends on what your gonna do and what you want. The mugen setup isnt a coilover its a matched spring and dampner, just like the stock setup. Probably will give you the best overall ride and handling, but it has its characteristics that make it not for everyone. There is also no adjustability control. If you just want a lower ride with good handling, look into what spring will better suit your needs and go with that for now with the knoi adjustables or wait a few months and hopefully there will be more strut options. Coilovers like the Tein basics would also be a good compromise, only height adjustable, but have really only heard good things about. With suspension it really depends on what you want because the options vary so much. Id recommend setting a price range and go from there, looking into the different setups that fall into that range. And dont forget the search feature is your friend. Good Luck. :)

Eee Pee
01-24-2004, 09:16 AM
Taken from King's website

Dampening rate (0.3m/s)
TEN/COMP
136/110
125/127 % from STD
Spring rate(lbs/inch)
Stock fr 168 - 246
Mugen fr 283
Stock rr 308 - 414
Mugen rr 439
Height(mm) fr -35 rr -35

You'll notice the springs aren't much stiffer than stock.
I assume the OEM springs are progressive, and that's why they give a range.
Mugen accomplishes the handling upgrade by using much firmer shock valving.
At least 2 times stiffer, and then some.
The same is true with Konis.

A possible alternative would be Konis on stock springs or aftermarket springs.
That could save some pennies.

Civicvtec1ps
01-24-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by rs_1101
id say get cheapy springs for now. weve got good shocks on the ep. theres alot more options for suspension coming out in the next 6 months.
All oem shocks are crappy for lowering springs. I am not even sure if tokico will come out with full replacement shocks instead of crappy insert shocks. Supposed to come out last year but no..

Ocelot
01-24-2004, 01:38 PM
yes, I was looking at the Tein basic coilovers. I could adjust the front lower than the rear that way too, I guess. I don't want to be saggin' ass when peeps are in the back. :p

Civicvtec1ps:
You have Tein S Tech springs . . . are your shocks stock?

shimmy_yaz
01-24-2004, 03:26 PM
I have the S-Tech springs on stock shocks as do alot of other people on the forum. I have not experienced any problems with mine yet. If you plan on buying bigger rims like 18's plan on getting the coilovers.

Ocelot
01-24-2004, 03:32 PM
I'd probably get 16's, so I have more tire tread, maybe 17's for looks, but only if I could find some that are not outrageously expensive.

raiyo
01-24-2004, 08:55 PM
Go with Tein Basic, check out Apex (http://store.yahoo.com/apexr1/index.html) for a good price, under 8 bills shipped. Cheapest I found so far. I haven't delt with them before, but I soon will. dofu said they are great, so give it a try. Don't bother with mix-n-match spring/struts, get something that is dealer made. Some Koni and springs will cost you around 8 bills, so why not go with Tein basic

raiyo
01-24-2004, 08:55 PM
Go with Tein Basic, check out Apex (http://store.yahoo.com/apexr1/index.html) for a good price, under 8 bills shipped. Cheapest I found so far. I haven't delt with them before, but I soon will. dofu said they are great, so give it a try. Don't bother with mix-n-match spring/struts, get something that is dealer made. Some Koni and springs will cost you around 8 bills, so why not go with Tein basic.

I'd go with 16s inch rims myself.

Ocelot
01-25-2004, 02:57 AM
it says Civic Si 03+ . . . I have an 02 :(

Vertigo
01-25-2004, 03:00 AM
it says Civic Si 03+ . . . I have an 02 :(
They are the same.:) The products that say for 03+ work on the 02

Ocelot
01-25-2004, 03:08 AM
even on Tein's own sight? I just looked and it said the same thing. I got concerned when I saw that on Apex, so I looked at tein.com (http://www.tein.com/honda.html). Why doesn't it say 02+?

Eee Pee
01-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by raiyo
Some Koni and springs will cost you around 8 bills, so why not go with Tein basic
Adjustable dampening.
Lifetime warranty. (I didn't find any info on their site)

Though with the Teins one doesn't need to cut the stock strut.

Ocelot
01-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Eee Pee
Adjustable dampening.
Lifetime warranty. (I didn't find any info on their site)

Though with the Teins one doesn't need to cut the stock strut.

cut the stock strut? wouldn't one be replacing the whole stock strut with new struts or coilovers, anyways?

Eee Pee
01-25-2004, 05:17 PM
cut the stock strut?

Koni makes inserts for the stock struts.

Here's a link with pictures.
K-Series.com Koni install (http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=EP_KONI)
Pardon the cross site linkage...

http://www.k-series.com/Images/Tech/EP_KONI/EP_KONI-19.jpg