PDA

View Full Version : Little Black Dots

03Civ-Bomb
01-24-2004, 02:10 AM
i bought my car in august and am already noticing these little black dots/specks on top of the paint,im not sure what their from but i wanna get rid of them, anyone got any advice? Plus, after i wash my car and open the hatch to wipe it out, all this dirty water drips on my bumper, and theres little rust looking spots left there from it, since i have the guaranteed teflon coating, will honda cover that if i complain?

31102si
01-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Do you park under or around trees alot? I know sometimes I get black specks from parking near trees. I really have to scrub to get them off. If you just bought your car in August I would definatly take it to the dealer about rust.

AkronSi
01-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Go buy yourself a nice Clay Magic or Mother's California Gold clay bar kit. You probably have a combination of tree sap and rail dust that is leaving rust spots.

After you use the clay bar, you should probably follow with a good paint cleaner and then wax it.

If you paid for a guaranteed teflon coating, then I'm sorry but you got ripped off. About the longest any sort of wax or sealent will last is about 6 months or so. Any product that says it contains teflon won't protect your paint any more than the next product on the shelf. The teflon will add a certain level of slickness, but won't bond to the paint and protect it any more. To get teflon to bond with the car, it would have to be baked...something like 600 degree or higher from what I've heard.

You can take it to the dealer and see what they say or what they'll do about it. Whatever they do, you should probably clay your paint at least once a year anyway and wax it reguarly.

Good luck. Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

03Civ-Bomb
01-24-2004, 12:25 PM
Luckily i didnt pay for it, they threw it in when we were barganing, but now that i found out its a skam im pretty pissed. But they did say it has a 5 yr guarantee, but a guarantee on what, im not sure, but hopefully if i bring it there and complain they will do all that for me since they did say it was guaranteed, but if not, its all good, i detailed cars for 2 years when i was in high school.

03Civ-Bomb
01-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Yea, and its not rust from under the paint like its corroding, its just little specks on top, the dealership seems to be pretty negotiable so im sure ill be able to work something out w/ them, but im kind of dissapointed since the car isnt even 6 months old and im having problems.

AkronSi
01-26-2004, 08:33 AM
Just don't let them make you pay for anything. Especially if it's "guaranteed" for 5 years.

Civilian
02-02-2004, 09:31 AM
I bought mine in November and have recently noticed tiny black dots like you described. They are most prevelent behind the front wheel wheels, but I've found them elsewhere on the front of my car too.

They're a pain to remove and water and a sponge won't do it. I've bought some Turtle Wax tar remover (allegedly safe for all finishes) and plan to try that. If anyone here thinks the tar remover is too harsh for the finish, I'd appreciate a heads up. I won't have time to use it before the weekend anyway.

AkronSi
02-03-2004, 08:07 AM
The Turtle wax stuff should be ok as long as you wipe it off pretty quick and then wash the area with soap and water. Then re-wax.

3M also makes a great tar and wax remover thats pretty easy to find if the turtle wax stuff doesn't work out for you. You could also use a clay bar. it will take a little work, but you should be able to get everything off.

i-WERKS
02-03-2004, 09:15 AM
Might be road tar. I get that during the summer months and it kinda just smudges when try to rub it off. Comes off easily with Meguires paint cleaner. I think clay bar is too much work for this.

SONIC SI
02-05-2004, 05:32 AM
The little black dots sound like fallout to me. It happens a lot when it rains. You will need to clay the car then do a nice polish and wax on it.

03Civ-Bomb
02-05-2004, 02:59 PM
yea, im familiar w/ the road tar. i get it all the time but i can just get it off w/ my fingernail. these other spots are definitely something different, some even look like rust spots, but not like under the paint, just on top of it, and there mostly just on the back bumper. And now i have to go to Iraq next month for 6-14 months so it is gonna have to sit and collect more unless i can find a place to store it inside.

AkronSi
02-06-2004, 07:07 AM
Civ-Bomb--before you head out, try to wash your car, go over it with a clay bar and then wax it. You should be able to do all of that in an hour or two, and it will help save your paint.

Graywolf
02-24-2004, 04:27 PM
Dude, come park your car in my garage