PDA

View Full Version : qeustion about sus. setups?

styllinep3
01-24-2004, 02:37 PM
if i have a ctr 22 mm rear sway, and es bushings on front and rear. what would i want to do with the front sway for good car balance? go bigger or smaller then the 25 mmm srock front sway? this is for all you auto xers.

thanks

ConeCrazy02
01-24-2004, 02:57 PM
Get the biggest front sway bar you can get your hands on, Staying stock would be good too. This is due to personal preference though, and it really have to depend on your setup and how you drive the car. I came to this conclusion because I once disconnect the front sway bar and went autox with it. It was not an good experience because it was loose, not oversteering loose, but overall, body rolling loose.

Think sway bar = anti-roll bar.

styllinep3
01-24-2004, 05:22 PM
oh yea sorry my mods.

1 jdm ctr 22 mm rear
2 es sway bushings on front stock and jdm rear sways
3 lowered on tein techs
4 front upper strut brace
5 rear upper strut brace
6 a lower ite.

my driving is mostly sprited, and mabye a couple autox events (first ones). so you are saying bigger is better. i thought (and im asking) that to reduce understeer u need a smaller front sway then rear. i might be wrong.

anyway i put the ctr 22, and it nice and stiff in the rear like it should be. now i can feel the fronts still kinda lose, like understeer loose. it still has delayed steering in turns. what can i do to eliminate this in my setup?

raiyo
01-24-2004, 08:44 PM
I don't AutoX, just giving my 0.02 cents.

I'd go with a RSX Front Sway Bar, 23mm. Make the car more neutral. CTR has 22mm front and 22mm rear (I might be wrong), why not try to make it similiar? I'd also get some stiffer springs to make more use of the sways and strut. What kind of wheels u got on? Try to get some wider rims/tires.

The bigger the rear sway you'll have will create "less" understeer. With a bigger front sway, you'll create "more" understeer. Visa versa. No matter what you do to our suspension, you'll never achieve oversteering, just "less" understeer.

styllinep3
01-24-2004, 10:28 PM
right:D this is the exact same thing im thinking match the ctr 22mm and 22 mm. i pretty sure you are right about that to. right now im running stock wheels for winter, but once the weather breaks oz 17in super leggas with yokos. so i think im gonna get a type s front sway . you say it feels more neutral? did you have the bigger rear sway and stock front first? thats what i have and im not liking it that much.

thanks

raiyo
01-24-2004, 10:33 PM
I currectly have a CTR rear sway and RSX front sway, tein springs, and some other stuff. No point of naming them. Before I had a stock front sway with the CTR sway. The CTR rear sway was GREAT once I had it on. Then I went with a rsx front sway, then... even better. The car feels like it is willing to turn a tad more than before. It just feels right now, unlike before.

styllinep3
01-25-2004, 07:35 AM
perefect answer. exactly what im looking for what.

thanks raiyo

Eee Pee
01-25-2004, 01:39 PM
Here's something you should read

http://www.automotivearticles.com/get.php?action=getarticle&articleid=4

An important part from that article:

If a car is understeering, it's because the rear end has more total traction than the front.
If you put a big sway bar on the rear suspension to limit the total amount of traction available there
(by maximizing the amount of load transfer to the outside wheel),
you can dial it in to match the front suspension's total available traction.

styllinep3
01-26-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Eee Pee
Here's something you should read

http://www.automotivearticles.com/get.php?action=getarticle&articleid=4

An important part from that article:

If a car is understeering, it's because the rear end has more total traction than the front.
If you put a big sway bar on the rear suspension to limit the total amount of traction available there
(by maximizing the amount of load transfer to the outside wheel),
you can dial it in to match the front suspension's total available traction.

ok thanks good info. i think im gonna try the type s front sway and see if i like more body roll and less understeer. cause if this is what happens it might be time to invest in a good full setup suspension. that will eliminate the boody rool and give me back some of my ride quailty

Eee Pee
01-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by styllinep3
and see if i like more body roll and less understeer.
Don't let body roll bother you.
As long as you have enough suspension travel remaining, it's not really a problem, after the weight has transfered.
If you don't have a stiff enough suspension, or your car is too low, then body roll can be a problem.
If during a corner the car hits a big enough bump and bottoms out, the spring rate goes to infinity, and that equals undeersteer insantly.
It doesn't stay there (understeer land), but it will require driver's input, which we all know, may not be correct.
This is how mistakes are made. And control is lost.

Legolas
01-26-2004, 05:02 PM
You need a thicker rear sway... leave the front alone. Mugen makes a 25mm sway for the rear. Most racers leave the front stock.