PDA

View Full Version : What do u know about......

Dres97
01-24-2004, 11:21 PM
Alright so i live in the worst state in US(North Dakota)!!! not cause i want to cause of the Air Force and it gets really COLD i dont know if u have noticed... so i want to get a remote starter for my car but i heard they are not good for sticks anyone have one have one or have any insite drop a line of info for me please

Peking
01-24-2004, 11:25 PM
I don't think it would be a good thing even with an automatic IMO. How would it start a manual? Clutch would have to be in to start, and out of gear to stay on.

SiRman
01-24-2004, 11:40 PM
The two main reasons I can think of why it isn't usually done:

1) You would have to park your car in neutral(Not recomended, especially with our "not so strong" ebrakes)

2)You would have to come up with some way of tricking the ECU into thinking the clutch pedal is depressed.

And parking with a brick on the clutch pedal would defeat the purpose of leaving the car in gear.:banana: :smilem:

SilverEpInDc
01-24-2004, 11:48 PM
The compustar alrarms are more geared to manual cars.... This is how it works.

When u turn off your car and the car stops that means its in gear.

Or When u turn off ur car and the engine continues till u shut the door that means its out of gear.

Now lets say u went into ur car to get a cd but didnt start up the car it will not start cause u might have put it in gear

raiyo
01-24-2004, 11:48 PM
With Clifford's alarm system, I dunno which, but your car won't start if it is in gear. So no worries about your car stalling.

As for the remove starter tricking the ECU that the clutch pedal is depressed shouldn't be a problem with parking in gear. You're just tricking the ECU that the clutch is pressed on, which in realility, it isn't. I highly doubt parking your car in gear will defeat the purpose of doing so. Reason? Friend did, no problem when parking on hills when in gear.

Go for the remote starter, I wish I would had. Buy the one where the module ALREADY has a remote starter built-in.

SiRman
01-24-2004, 11:55 PM
As for the remove starter tricking the ECU that the clutch pedal is depressed shouldn't be a problem with parking in gear. You're just tricking the ECU that the clutch is pressed on, which in realility, it isn't. I highly doubt parking your car in gear will defeat the purpose of doing so. Reason? Friend did, no problem when parking on hills when in gear.

The last line of my post was a joke.

I'm confused, are you saying that the car is parked in gear, then remote started? You doubt that parking in gear will defeat the purpose of what? Your friend parks without the ebrake on hills?
Did I mention I'm confused.:confused:

raiyo
01-25-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by SiRman
The last line of my post was a joke.

I'm confused, are you saying that the car is parked in gear, then remote started? You doubt that parking in gear will defeat the purpose of what? Your friend parks without the ebrake on hills?
Did I mention I'm confused.:confused:

If your last line was a joke, then all my BS could be taken out. Just trying to straighten out the idea of remote starter won't mess up your parking in gear thing.

As for what I said, you can park your car in GEAR, and use the remote starter, the car won't stall, go on, then off. Just won't start at all. My friend park his car WITH his ebrakes on when on hills, I never said he didn't.

SiRman
01-25-2004, 12:07 AM
As for what I said, you can park your car in GEAR, and use the remote starter, the car won't stall, go on, then off. Just won't start at all.

I think I got you now. You're saying that you can not start the car with a remote starter when it is in gear.

That was my first point:

1) You would have to park your car in neutral(Not recomended, especially with our "not so strong" ebrakes)

You would have to park the car in neutral for the remote start to work. The remote starter would also have to have provisions for the clutch pedal sensor.

Dres97
01-27-2004, 03:20 PM
so is it good for the car or not!?

raiyo
01-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Dres97
so is it good for the car or not!?

depends on which u get. buy a built-in remote stater in the alarm which wont allow your car to start/stall when your car is in gear when the remote starter is pressed on.

EP3smoker
01-27-2004, 05:21 PM
remote start alarms will start a manual trans vechile if it is in or out of gear. in gear the car will hop fourward and it might move down the street depending on if the ebrake is set strong enough to stall the car. trust me... i've seen it. now there are ways to prevent this... with most remote start systems there is usally a brake switch "Brake switch, if car is remote started and brake is pressed with out the key in the ignition the car will die.its a safety and anti theft thing." most good car audio shop will tie in the brake switch in to shifter to prevent the car from starting in gear. usally it takes a good installer alittle time to rig some that is going to work. "NInja shitt" i usally charge my costomers 60 dollars more if they want it.

EP3smoker
01-27-2004, 05:23 PM
if you guys have any more ?s about alarms let me know.

VividDreams
01-27-2004, 05:38 PM
ok, forget about the remote start for a second. the reason that stick cars cant start without the clutch in is cause of something called a "Neutral Saftey Switch". When the clutch is out, the switch senses the fact and thus will not allow the car to be started. On autos this switch is used for park and neutral. thus, if the car is in any position other than P or N, it wont start. Now, with remote starters on stick cars, the Neutral Safety Switch is bypassed. All the owner has to do is make sure the car is in Neutral when they go to start it. Its obviously not as safe on hills or anything like that, but it is possible. As far as being bad for the car? I dont think it will hurt it, but just try not to park on a lot of hills if youll use it a lot.

Im surprised our "installers" on here didnt know the name of the part thats being bypassed. Additionally, they were suggesting that "good" intallers do some "Afro Engineering" to get around it.:rolleyes:

Mwing
01-27-2004, 05:59 PM
I have one installed, it is Autopage RS850-LCD, you can set daily start up time, or set a time say 7:00pm today. Or, when you go to a store buy a pack of smoke, while you don't want to turn ff the engine, then you can leave the engine on and take out the key and arm the car with the alarm.

What I have installed is the module to make the car thinks the clutch is pressed while the car starts. Another module to learn the code of the OEM immobilizer so that you don't have to put the key in when you are using remote start to start your car.

It won't start if any of the following happens:
1. not in neutral
2. e-brake is not pulled to a certain level

To make a remote start on the next time you use the car, while you park the car, leave the gear in neutral, pull the e-brake, don't step on the brake or clutch, then press a button on the remote control unit, pull the key out, open the door then leave, push the arm button to arm and turn off the car. Next time when you press the start button on your remote control, the car will start, up to 10 mintutes. If no action to the car the alarm will turn off the car again. Enter the key, turn it to "ON", press the brake pedal, drive the car.

Hope it helps.

raiyo
01-27-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by EP3smoker
remote start alarms will start a manual trans vechile if it is in or out of gear. in gear the car will hop fourward and it might move down the street depending on if the ebrake is set strong enough to stall the car. trust me... i've seen it.

With my friend's prelude it doesnt stall/hop/do what so ever when you try to remote start it when it is in gear. seen it first hand. when the button is pressed, it is like the battery on the alarm is dead or something. when the car is out of gear, and u use the remote starter it will start. maybe it is a new built-in feature of the new clifford for manual transmission cars. maybe some of you will believe me and some may not. just saying what i seen and know.

my friend didnt install the alarm, his friend did. he does that for a living.

VividDreams
01-27-2004, 07:12 PM
like i said, Neutral Safety Switch