PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best intake for honda civic si 2002

amayhem
01-25-2004, 12:58 AM
I own a honda civic si 02 and was thinking of buying a intake. Not to sure on which brand or type. Also does anyone know anything about "HKS Super Mega Flow Intake". Is it better than a cold air intake. Thanks for the help.

estebones
01-25-2004, 01:16 AM
I would say it depends on where you live, I live in Houston Texas, and it floods like a motha' here every once in a while so I decided to get an SRI.

So if you live anywhere where it floods dont even bother with Cold Air intakes IMO.

And as far as performance: In reality there's not much of a difference between the hp produced by either type.(Gains are very minimal) I bought an AEM SRI from the classifieds here so if you look around you may be able to get what you need.

--esteban

Vertigo
01-25-2004, 05:33 AM
Agreed! Different strokes for different folks. There are getting to be lots of them on the market right now. Just pick the one that you like best. Afterall, it's your money, not ours. Were just a buncha guys/gals who give you our opinion. But in reality the only opinion that maters is yourown. With that said...Buy the Injen CAI! You will not regret it.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-25-2004, 09:01 AM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/search.php?s=Array%5Bsessionhash%5D%22%3E%3C

Dunrick
01-25-2004, 09:32 AM
lol

just get the AEM CAI it gives like 50whp.

Peking
01-25-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Dunrick
lol
just get the AEM CAI it gives like 50whp.

Woahahahahaha, yeah get that one :D

JapanExpress
01-25-2004, 10:00 AM
The AEM V2 is the best intake out for the Si right now. :)

SiR_d1
01-25-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/search.php?s=Array%5Bsessionhash%5D%22%3E%3C

:D :cool:

Civicvtec1ps
01-25-2004, 10:30 AM
Just take out your oem air box.
50hp right there.

DavidT
01-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by amayhem
I own a honda civic si 02 and was thinking of buying a intake. Not to sure on which brand or type. Also does anyone know anything about "HKS Super Mega Flow Intake". Is it better than a cold air intake. Thanks for the help.

The HKS mega flow intake is basically a piece of plastic tube with the filter at the end and they charge you what? $150 or so? It even uses your stock rubber intake hose from the IM to the plastic tube they supply. Pretty cheap if you ask me, you can do that yourself for way cheaper. If you live in an area that floods (Like me) SRI is the way to go (You can also get a Comptech Icebox...supposidly they are flood proof but the snorkel is right below the tranny so I dunno?) AEM V2 seems to be the SRI of choice. If not, then Injen CAI or AEM CAI :)

mathman
01-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by estebones
I would say it depends on where you live, I live in Houston Texas, and it floods like a motha' here every once in a while so I decided to get an SRI.

So if you live anywhere where it floods dont even bother with Cold Air intakes IMO.

And as far as performance: In reality there's not much of a difference between the hp produced by either type.(Gains are very minimal) I bought an AEM SRI from the classifieds here so if you look around you may be able to get what you need.

--esteban

That was my thinking, too. I went with a short ram from DC Sports, and have been happy thus far. My guess is that most short rams will deliver about the same gains, since nearly all are mandrel bent pipe with a cone filter.

Just make sure you get a good filter. If you live somewhere dusty, or drive dirt/gravel roads, this is critical. The Ebay intake scares me for this reason.

If you're not really picky about what you want, do what esteban did and browse the classifieds and Ebay until you see a deal.

Mathman.

eurosteez
01-25-2004, 01:25 PM
gut the stock box and throw a k&n in there, works just as good as anything else IMO

t-rex
01-26-2004, 12:51 PM
Does anyone know if an intake voids the Honda warranty? I want to put one on, but this is a big factor for me.

DavidT
01-26-2004, 02:54 PM
It's up to the dealer. If they want to they can void it b/c of that. The law states they shouldn't and can't, but as we all know they can and they most likely will when you start having problems. If you're worried about warranty at all, keep your car stock.

amayhem
01-27-2004, 12:51 AM
hey trex I was wondering the same thing so I went to the dealership and asked them. they told me as long as the Honda dealership installs it. its covered by the warranty, if not its up to if it damages something. other than that its shouldn't.

amayhem
01-27-2004, 12:54 AM
so its come down to two brands and two types.
Either "cold air" Injen or "cold air Aem V2.
or "short ram" Injen or "Short ram" Aem v2

I want to make my decision by the 30th. since that

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-27-2004, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by amayhem
[B]so its come down to two brands and two types.
Either "cold air" Injen or "cold air Aem V2.
or "short ram" Injen or "Short ram" Aem v2

I want to make my decision by the 30th. since that

Mighty_Mouse
01-27-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by DavidT
It's up to the dealer. If they want to they can void it b/c of that. The law states they shouldn't and can't, but as we all know they can and they most likely will when you start having problems. If you're worried about warranty at all, keep your car stock.

Total BS.

t-rex
01-27-2004, 07:05 PM
QUOTE]Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
Total BS. [/QUOTE]

Do you mean the warranty is still valid?

Mighty_Mouse
01-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Of course it is. The only thing that wouldn't be warranted is the stock airbox (because it isn't on the car any longer). If you put the stock airbox back on, the stock box would be warrantied again as normal. As long as you don't screw something up by putting the intake on and you use a good quality filter that doesn't let a ton of dirt in, Honda cannot deny a warranty claim.

YooShin
01-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by estebones

--esteban

You got me realy thinking about that flooding issue. I to live in Houston, in fact Clear Lake. We flood. I now some people from Chino Ca and it's the same there. But I hear conflicting opinions on how 'easy" it actually is to hydro-lock or have any other related problems. My bro has the AEM CAI and has'nt had any problems. Then again he drives maybe 200 miles a week vs. my 600 across town and back on a daily basis. The thing is are summers are HOT. I ought start a thread on the local.

By the way, how is the sound on that intake amayhem? Does it scream?

amayhem
01-28-2004, 01:10 AM
yoo shin I wouldn