PDA

View Full Version : High RPM Shifting

LateSleeper
09-25-2002, 12:58 PM
I wasn't sure if I was supposed to post it here or in general. Anyone ever get a slight crunch noise doing a 1-2 shift at high RPMs? I'm not talking about that bad sound like when some tries to shift without the clutch. Maybe I'm ripping on the shifter to aggresively. I swear that I sometimes feel like I'm going to pull the shifter down to the floor. :D

grooveline
09-25-2002, 02:54 PM
easy there sonny...... sure, get that engine spinning, but treat that shifter like a woman.... use a caress to get it in gear

smokincivic
09-25-2002, 03:53 PM
ya man even in a racing situation there is no need to slam gears, I'm not saying take so long that your RPM's drop significantly (and out of the powerband) but just ease up a little for your cars sake. someone who shifts easily yet quickly will only have approx a tenth of a sec faster et than someone who just speed shifts. Or you can take speedracers double-clutching to victory 4 step program and be on your way to professional level shifting techniques in a matter of hours :D

SpeedRacer
09-25-2002, 03:59 PM
Yes double clutching is the shit but be ware you will ware out your clutch really fast which is ok with me because i want to upgrade my clutch ounce i get my new clutch i will no longer do my double clutch technique. Take it easy no need to slam your gears dont treat your car like your girlfriend man. Some anger management might help you out too.l

esphatch
09-25-2002, 06:19 PM
If you look at your breakdown on the tranny ratios you will see why it crunches from 1st to 2nd (its quite high :) ) . Most previous honda owners know a transmission is well broken in around 25k and after that you shouldn't notice it. But um yeah thats pretty much it.

SpeedRacer
09-25-2002, 06:22 PM
i dont notice it now 7k

LateSleeper
09-25-2002, 06:29 PM
Anger management.. bahaha I went to one of those seminars before I got out of the military. :D

Thanks for the input. As you guys said, slamming the gears is not a good thing. I'll try to do it with a little more finese.:cool:

grooveline
09-25-2002, 06:31 PM
its all in the wrist bubba

esmith13
09-25-2002, 07:05 PM
can someone define what "double clutching" actually is???

Are we talking about:

Clutch in,
Shift to neutral
Clutch out
clutch in
shift to second
clutch out
GAS!

Just curious....

ArcticBlueRsx
09-25-2002, 10:36 PM
i hope your kidding w/ the double clutching.....w/ the triple cone syncros...that eliminates the need for double clutching/rev matching.....but double clutching for going straight? like ok, so maybe you wanna be sure you stay in vtec range...but why dont you just learn how to shift fast...

!@#$%
09-26-2002, 01:29 AM
um, i believe the RSX-s has triple synchros due to the 6 sp, but i dont think the base rsx or si have triple synchros. I could be wrong

esmith13
09-26-2002, 04:37 AM
We have triple synchros on 1st and 2nd gear only.

... But we do have them.

...Best race shifting in the si:

Run gear to redline, clutch in (keeping gas pedal in steady), shift gear, clutch out (not to fast, not to slow), press gas harder! :D

Works every time.

The proper way to race you car is like your abuseing it!! :D

ArcticBlueRsx
09-26-2002, 04:40 PM
when shifting near redline...i actually bring it up as far as my fuel-cutoff will let me..which is around 8.3 so when i shift..although i lose a tiny bit of power as im redlining the engine up there...when i shift i'll be sure to stay in the vtec range....

HighRev-thug
09-30-2002, 07:58 AM
Mine makes that sound too from 1-2
18k miles and still makes it but i dont care ill drive it till it break.
No need to let go off the gas not even a little bit. just pull the baby as fast as you can and i dont even press clutch all way in learn where is that clutch engage on yours and press right about there. double clutch works so much better on Talon AWD :( miss that sucker. Short shifter works so much better too.

esmith13
09-30-2002, 08:49 AM
Has any1 tried the short shifter kit for our car yet???

I am curious if it is better or worse for our car, considering the funky angle the shifter is at to you body, being on the dash and all.....