PDA

View Full Version : I installed the Short Ram Intake I got off of ebay

02SilverSiHB
09-25-2002, 02:11 PM
Overall I'm pleased. It isn't as loud as the stock home made one I had. I'm not exactly sure why, but I like it.
I haven't noticed any bogging out like I did with the homemade one. There are only a couple of things I don't like, and I'll post them one by one.

First the intake piping on this new one, doesn't increase as it leads to the filter, like the stock one does. Whether or not this really matters, I don't know. I'm not sure if it's like this with other intake..i.e. injen, aem.

02SilverSiHB
09-25-2002, 02:15 PM
Second, the fitting was exactly as good as I had hoped. The breather tube wouldn't align correctly with it, as you can see in the pic below. The tube that leads from the intake to connect to the breather tube, is at an angle and is too long. Nothing a few minor butting can't solve

02SilverSiHB
09-25-2002, 02:17 PM
not a complaint, but something I noticed. The intake filter sits really low and comes close, very close to touching what ever that is in the pic

02SilverSiHB
09-25-2002, 02:20 PM
And lastly, again no complaint, just something I noticed. The kit came with two blue extensions for connecting the intake to the throttle body. why, I don't know, I only used one. The filter fits right on the intake tube without the extension. Then the blue tube was supplied for the coolant line. I didn't use it, as it was actually too big and I feared that it may leak, so I just used the stock one.

02SilverSiHB
09-25-2002, 02:21 PM
by the way, sorry for the small pics. ephatch's server doesn't want to allow me to load up bigger pics, so I had to change the size. And imagestation still appears to be down.

02SilverSiHB
09-25-2002, 02:26 PM
I noticed that the intake has no problem with fitting to the breather hose in this pic from the company that sells it. I think it's because the intake pipping is actually sitting at an angle in relation to the throttle body. I tried that and it would work, except I don't want my intake not sitting flush with the throttle body

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/30055373/Images/ninrsx02s_02_au1.jpg

sicivic2002
09-25-2002, 02:31 PM
Any improvement in power and response? Also in that 3rd picture where it is sitting close aren't those the peices that move when you push the clutch in? Or when you move the shifter. If it is you might want to have someone push the clutch and maybe move the shifter and see if it gets any closer or even hits. Just a thought.

02SilverSiHB
09-25-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by sicivic2002
Any improvement in power and response? Also in that 3rd picture where it is sitting close aren't those the peices that move when you push the clutch in? Or when you move the shifter. If it is you might want to have someone push the clutch and maybe move the shifter and see if it gets any closer or even hits. Just a thought.
defintely a power increase so far. As for that cable, it comes close, but even if it touch, it wouldn't cause a problem, I think once I modify the breather hose, it won't be as close.

02blksi
09-25-2002, 05:15 PM
bahhhhhh, garbage! (:D )

the stock home brewed intake is much better IMO, on my AV6 i bought the same flimsy cheasy intake IT SUCKED total donkey nuts but i only paid 27 shipped for it :). i still think you should have stuck with the stock'r.but oh well.

the design of the stock one acts like a velocity stack, speeding up the flow of air into the throttle body due to its tapered design. I like the oem piece for this reason.
what you have is a homemade intake with a chrome pipe IMO.. and you paid 40+dollars for it. but hey im happy you are happy, so we are all happy right ! :) --good luck with your new one keep us updated on how you like it when it starts getting dull LOL:p ...

oh FYI i have never experinced this bog off the line with my home brewed intake, what did you mean by it bogged?

esphatch
09-25-2002, 05:22 PM
Hmm... yes I will agree with the fact that you would of been better off with a stock intake and just sealing off the resonator ports. You are dealing with 2 90degree bends to suck air from the BACK of the engine well... anybody else see the irony?
Sorry, just my 2 cents.

02blksi
09-25-2002, 05:29 PM
btw the closer you get to the back of the engine the closer you get to the header which is the hottest exposed part in the engine bay!. id rather use the stock tube and keep it pretty close up front. even GRM used a modified stock intake and got REAL hrspwr. out of it ...--:)

JSIR
09-25-2002, 05:45 PM
well if you can get it to sit like its shown in the advertising pics it shouldnt be too bad. Actually the air in the far right hand side of the engine bay isn't that hot, the side that faces the header is warmer, the side that faces the wheel well is quite cool. That's what I noticed with my Tyhoon intake. My Typhoon intake is 2.75 inches all the way through, it doesn't taper either. Anyone know if the Injen intake tapers and what size piping it uses ?.

nikkotyper
09-25-2002, 06:00 PM
I would go with a tapered intake.
Tapered intakes generate more flow velocity than constant diameter designs. Thus, they iprove low-end torque better and we can notice them better in everyday driving.

What is the diameter of our throttle body?

The throttle body diameter dictates the ideal intake diameter.
So, it seems the best intake would be if it started about 0.5-1.0 inches above ideal intake diameter and then taper down to the ideal intake diameter at the throttle body.

SpeedRacer
09-25-2002, 06:05 PM
i think you made a good choice by buying a real intake and getting rid of the home made one. It looks good to me. Dont be cheap

HondaMan
09-25-2002, 07:08 PM
Looks good...probably the most bang for the buck you can get. However, I still like my Typhoon a lot! :)

BTW, I agree totally with JSIR...the header is not that close to the header on that side of the engine and there is lots of open air flow with the huge stock air box removed. Thus, I really doubt it gets warm enough to rob much power, if any.

esmith13
09-25-2002, 07:35 PM
I have the Typhoon and I can tell you this:

1. K&N research found that the location of the filter is the coolest area in the engin comartment and recieves fresh airflow from up under the car.

2. The diameter of the intake does not change and is the same diameter as the opening in the throttle body (about 2.75)

3. You pics look to me as your intake is identical in design to the Typhoon.

The only recommendation I would have is to invest in the K&N filter we use on our Typhoons for use on your intake...

... Nothing beats a K&N filter for quality and maximum air flow!

esmith13

1. K&N research found that the location of the filter is the coolest area in the engin comartment and recieves fresh airflow from up under the car.

2. The diameter of the intake does not change and is the same diameter as the opening in the throttle body (about 2.75)

The only recommendation I would have is to invest in the K&N filter we use on our Typhoons for use on your intake...

esmith13

esmith13

esmith13

02SilverSiHB
09-25-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by esmith13

:D I'm sorry, I don't think I heard you :) did you say something the 4th time :D Don't you hate it when that happens.

Anyway, as for the intake getting heat, I don't think so. The header is off to the left of the intake and doesn't come close to the header. There is more air circulating in that area. I actually like how I have it, since it is further away from the engine. As for the 90 degree bends, they are small bends and it isn't affecting anything for me. I still feel that it is better than the homemade one, I didn't like how it would bog. Now, when I decided if I'm going turbo, supercharger, or na, then I'll get the best product out there. I'm just not going to beef out over 100 bucks for something like that right now. I'm leaning towards a turbo....HKS probably. I'm just going to wait and see how everything works with a turbo on our cars.

NamingException
10-24-2002, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
Now, when I decided if I'm going turbo, supercharger, or na, then I'll get the best product out there. I'm just not going to beef out over 100 bucks for something like that right now. I'm leaning towards a turbo....HKS probably. I'm just going to wait and see how everything works with a turbo on our cars.

I just bought this same intake off of Ebay. It should be in the mail. I can't wait to install it, I've been itching for one. I bought this for the same reasons you did. I was going to get an Injen CAI, but I'm not entirely certain what route I'm going to go with my car yet. I'm leaning towards a turbo as well. No sense in spending five or six times as much money for something that makes maybe a couple more horsepower that I might end up taking off in less than a year.

Hope your experiences with this product have remained on the positive side.

02SilverSiHB
10-24-2002, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by NamingException

I just bought this same intake off of Ebay. It should be in the mail. I can't wait to install it, I've been itching for one. I bought this for the same reasons you did. I was going to get an Injen CAI, but I'm not entirely certain what route I'm going to go with my car yet. I'm leaning towards a turbo as well. No sense in spending five or six times as much money for something that makes maybe a couple more horsepower that I might end up taking off in less than a year.

Hope your experiences with this product have remained on the positive side.
yeah it's still runs great. ithe intake gets hot as fuck though.

ssvr6
10-24-2002, 09:16 AM
The pipe does?

Isn't there a wrap that can be used to insulate the pipe and maintain a colder air charge?

Steve

02SilverSiHB
10-24-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
The pipe does?

Isn't there a wrap that can be used to insulate the pipe and maintain a colder air charge?

Steve
Yeah, the pipe does. It's all chromy looking, so I'm sure it not the best material in the world. I could wrap it, but I don't care for now.

02blksi
10-26-2002, 05:04 PM
FYI - my homemade SRI is now dyno proven to make power :)

and, the stock rubber tubing is less prone to heating up as rapidly as the chrome moly.IME :) :) ---joe

Si4U2NV
10-27-2002, 07:25 PM
Hey, 02blksi, how bout u help a fellow EPer out and give me a nice simple DIY on how to make a homemade SRI?? id REALLLLLLLLY appreciate it... (especially if u could get picz!!!)

:D :) ;)

-Mike

02blksi
10-27-2002, 08:07 PM
CLICK ME AND SEARCH HOMEMADE INTAKE (http://ephatch.com/forum/search.php?s=Array%5Bsessionhash%5D%22%3E%3C)

-joe :)

02SilverSiHB
10-28-2002, 04:18 PM
Well I fixed the intake to where it's not down so low and is more like the k&n typhoon now. Also I noticed all day today that my throttle response and power in the upper rpm range was increasingly noticeable. I was surprised as hell. I can't believe just adjusting the intake helped that much. I wonder if it was just akward the way I had it before, or this car just decided to get faster. It's freakin weird! I mean, I know this sounds stupid, but the car pulls like there's no tomorrow and begs even more now for a higher rpm. I just hit 7700 miles when it happened. Might just be a really long as break in period for this car. Anyway, I can't wait till hondata releases a unit for us. Although I'm scared about that higher rpm level and if it will blow my engine :(

myeverlovinsir
10-28-2002, 06:13 PM

First the intake piping on this new one, doesn't increase as it leads to the filter, like the stock one does. Whether or not this really matters, I don't know. I'm not sure if it's like this with other intake..i.e. injen, aem.

What I and others have found is that when you completely remove
the intake, be it stock, CAI or SRI, is that you do not gain anything.
Instead you may loose HP and torque throughout the curve.
Even though the Intake may be even smaller than stock dims.
It has been shown on a dyno that these intakes do provide more
power and torque than no intake at the TB. Why? Does that not
provide more restriction to air flow?
The best reason we could come up with; air flow in whatever intake you have
is controlled to some degree, and aided, by the overall diameter and filter flow.
This and numerous tuning factors, such as acoustics, intake length and shape, which help
the flow towards the TB, need to be considered. It would be
too easy, I agree, If we could just put a bigger flowing intake on
and solve it all at once, but it is just not that simple. hth.

NamingException
10-28-2002, 06:52 PM
I'm still waiting to get the intake I bought off eBay. The guy finally shipped it out, I should get it in a couple of days. He really took his time getting it out.

Thanks for mentioning that the position of the intake made a big difference. I wouldn't think that it would make all that much difference, slap it in, and take whatever I got. Now I know to play around with it a bit.

02SilverSiHB
10-28-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir

What I and others have found is that when you completely remove
the intake, be it stock, CAI or SRI, is that you do not gain anything.
Instead you may loose HP and torque throughout the curve.
Even though the Intake may be even smaller than stock dims.
It has been shown on a dyno that these intakes do provide more
power and torque than no intake at the TB. Why? Does that not
provide more restriction to air flow?
The best reason we could come up with; air flow in whatever intake you have
is controlled to some degree, and aided, by the overall diameter and filter flow.
This and numerous tuning factors, such as acoustics, intake length and shape, which help
the flow towards the TB, need to be considered. It would be
too easy, I agree, If we could just put a bigger flowing intake on
and solve it all at once, but it is just not that simple. hth.
oh, yeah, I know you'll lose power if you were to run just off the TB. The air flow is erratic when it doesn't have time to even out. As for the intake tubing being smaller than the stock beginning piece, I don't think it affects anything. This intake, over the past few weeks, has proven to be a good gain in power

02SilverSiHB
10-28-2002, 07:07 PM
I'm still waiting to get the intake I bought off eBay. The guy finally shipped it out, I should get it in a couple of days. He really took his time getting it out.

Thanks for mentioning that the position of the intake made a big difference. I wouldn't think that it would make all that much difference, slap it in, and take whatever I got. Now I know to play around with it a bit.
yeah, I at first thought I was going to have to modify the intake breather tube that comes out, so I could fit it in the stock tubing from the engine, but I just messed around with it and it fit fine.

The coolant hose they give you is fine to hook up to the new intake, but when you hook that new hose to the coolant line on the engine, the hose is too big. I just got a smaller clamp and clamped it down. The one clamp from the stock tube is too small to fit over the tubing they gave me.

NamingException
11-02-2002, 12:58 PM

yeah, I at first thought I was going to have to modify the intake breather tube that comes out, so I could fit it in the stock tubing from the engine, but I just messed around with it and it fit fine.

The coolant hose they give you is fine to hook up to the new intake, but when you hook that new hose to the coolant line on the engine, the hose is too big. I just got a smaller clamp and clamped it down. The one clamp from the stock tube is too small to fit over the tubing they gave me.

Okay, I just installed mine, and I had exactly the same fitment issues you did. I only got one blue plastic piece to connect to the throttle body, not two, so they must have just mispackaged yours. I did, however, get a part that I have no idea what to do with. It's a rubber ring with two threaded bolt ends coming out. Am I supposed to be using this for something?

First impressions of it are mixed. It almost seems as if my performance has decreased. The engine feels less torquey. That shouldn't be, right? Maybe it's my imagination. Do I need to reset the ECU or anything like that that I may have missed? Could it be the sensor? Maybe one of my hoses isn't seated right and is leaking, or the intake isn't lined up with the opening on the throttle body good enough. I'm going to play around with it.

It sounds mean! I like it.

BlasTech
11-02-2002, 02:55 PM
This article will open new insights about Intakes:
http://www.hondavision.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3956
(BTW, the community is not as EP-oriented at hondavision, but the tech articles alone are worth signing up for, even if you never post)

About the chrome getting hot, is it chrome on the inside too? You see, chrome and rubber can be the same temperature, but the Chrome will feel hotter to the touch, because it is more conductive (it dissipates its heat on contact faster). While if you touched the rubber, it could feel not as hot, because its conducting its heat to your skin at a slower rate, and your body can send in fresh blood to keep it cool, blah blah.

The thing to think on is that rubber is also inversely resistant to heat absorbtion, as it can get hot, but it takes longer. Does the reflective surface reflect ambient heat like it does light? I dont know. Im confused.

Theres always high-temp engine paint (in matte black, or gun metal ;) )

NamingException
11-02-2002, 03:12 PM
I moved it around, put some more fittings on, tightened up my throttle cable some more, and it seems to be a lot better now. Now it seems like it is a lot stronger in the low end, but the top end still sucks. It doesn't like to rev as much. I think if I play with it some more I might be able to get more out of it. Weak top end is weak.

02SilverSiHB
11-02-2002, 07:42 PM

Okay, I just installed mine, and I had exactly the same fitment issues you did. I only got one blue plastic piece to connect to the throttle body, not two, so they must have just mispackaged yours. I did, however, get a part that I have no idea what to do with. It's a rubber ring with two threaded bolt ends coming out. Am I supposed to be using this for something?

First impressions of it are mixed. It almost seems as if my performance has decreased. The engine feels less torquey. That shouldn't be, right? Maybe it's my imagination. Do I need to reset the ECU or anything like that that I may have missed? Could it be the sensor? Maybe one of my hoses isn't seated right and is leaking, or the intake isn't lined up with the opening on the throttle body good enough. I'm going to play around with it.

It sounds mean! I like it.
man that sounds weird. I never got a ring with threads coming outta it. I guess that's what we get for buying a cheap intake :D
As for power, mine is great, not slugish and no loss of torque. Just give a bit till the ecu changes....you can reset it if you want. I didn't, I might after I get a few more miles on the car

02SilverSiHB
11-02-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
This article will open new insights about Intakes:
http://www.hondavision.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3956
(BTW, the community is not as EP-oriented at hondavision, but the tech articles alone are worth signing up for, even if you never post)

About the chrome getting hot, is it chrome on the inside too? You see, chrome and rubber can be the same temperature, but the Chrome will feel hotter to the touch, because it is more conductive (it dissipates its heat on contact faster). While if you touched the rubber, it could feel not as hot, because its conducting its heat to your skin at a slower rate, and your body can send in fresh blood to keep it cool, blah blah.

The thing to think on is that rubber is also inversely resistant to heat absorbtion, as it can get hot, but it takes longer. Does the reflective surface reflect ambient heat like it does light? I dont know. Im confused.

Theres always high-temp engine paint (in matte black, or gun metal ;) )
nah, it's not chrome in the inside. I was actually thinking about painting on some heat resistant paint, but I'm like screw it. This intake is temporary anyway