PDA

View Full Version : Mods

TravTrav
01-26-2004, 12:35 AM
ok, i have a 4 year 100k mile warranty for my ep3 02. if i do mod's, will that void the warranty? should i ask the dealership or will they try and screw me or what? just put a strut bar and wheels on, so far its ok, but what about my next move...

will a intake void it? headers? midpipe? muffler? hell a turbo? new cam work? decorating the engine? what about redoing the interior a lil? i have a bumper to bumper warranty. pls tell me.

travtrav

Civicvtec1ps
01-26-2004, 12:48 AM
Depends on dealers.
Federal law sets forth requirements for warranties and contains a number of provisions to prevent vehicle manufacturers, dealers and others from unjustly denying warranty coverage. With regard to aftermarket parts, the gist of the law is that warranty coverage cannot be denied simply because such parts are present on the vehicle, or have been used. (see Federal Warranty Laws for details). The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought.

If a dealership denies warranty coverage , they should be willing to do so in writing. Have the dealer describe the failure which is causing your problem AND how the dealer believes the aftermarket product installed is responsible for the problem. Keep an accurate log of all contacts and correspondence in addressing the warranty denial.

raiyo
01-26-2004, 12:51 AM
anything you change/mod will void that item. like u change your intake, they'll void that if they see it. when bring your car to the dealer, change or make it as stock as possible. as for adding strut bars to the car, it wont void your warrenty over that. reason? there isn't a strut bar on the car to start with. but if u got suspension problems (which u didnt cause) and u bring in your car and it has a strut bar, they "might" end up blaming it on the strut for the cause.

go search under "warrenty," pretty sure lots of topic can help u out.

estebones
01-26-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
If a dealership denies warranty coverage , they should be willing to do so in writing. Have the dealer describe the failure which is causing your problem AND how the dealer believes the aftermarket product installed is responsible for the problem. Keep an accurate log of all contacts and correspondence in addressing the warranty denial. [/B]

Of course this is the first thignthat they will try to do, give you some bs explanation as to why they are cancelling your warranty so like rayio said get it in writing and research it. you may sometimes be able to beat them idf they are bs'ing you.

but the def. warranty-voiding mod would be lowering springs. so be aware of getting this done unless you know what the outcome will be.

Best advise would be to find a mod-friendly dealer, but even then they may require younto buy parts from them. :\

dofu
01-26-2004, 12:57 AM
basically, anything before the cat will void the warranty because it will definately affect smog. but it depends on the dealer near you. some places dont really care, as where others do. the ones around my area are really strict now (they didnt give a damn a year ago), so even an intake will void the warranty. as for interior, tranny, electronics, suspension, etc... it jus depends on what you change out. but jus because you have an intake doesnt mean all of your warranty's been voided... you only void the engine warranty, as where springs would only void the suspension warranty.
oh, but a muffler isnt supposed to matter because all it does is suppress sound, and it doesnt affect smog because everything thats supposed to be burnt is already burnt by the time it reaches there. i suggest you to go find out whos coo to talk to about that kind of stuff at the dealer near you and ask them to be sure. and even tho they sell aftermarket parts at the dealership's part department doesnt neccessarily mean the parts wont void your warranty... you'll jus be paying more for the parts and labor.

TravTrav
01-26-2004, 09:07 AM
thx this will help me out alot

styllinep3
01-26-2004, 12:08 PM
it is all on the dealership. so far anything ive complained about ive gotten fixed, and my car is modded pretty good. the notchy tranny is the only thing there giving me a hard time, and they havent said anything about modding being the reason. there just giving me bullshit stories. like they dont know what the problem si . mainly cause they dont want to fork out the cash to replace it. the one service manager assistant is cool as shit. always asking me what i have done and what not. so it depends on the dealership.

oh any internals or forced induction will void warrenty if you blow the engine of course, but bolt ons are pretty safe.