PDA

View Full Version : Question ASAP...

PoRT
09-25-2002, 02:53 PM
how much of the intake has to be under water , realistically, to harm your car. incase you didnt know, i live in New Orleans and i just drove hoome from work through a hurricane. the water was atleast to the bottom of my bumper, if not higher. and not to mention all the assholes that flew past me throwing waves on my car. i kept the RPM's down and i made it home, but it smelled like something was burning for a short while. i have an AEM CAI. wouldnt it have died on me before i got home if it sucked up water? i know the filter HAS to atleast be wet, but i dunno.. any info? anything you can tell my to look for will help. i have to see if insurance will cover that. what symptoms should i look for.

sicivic2002
09-25-2002, 03:04 PM
If I remember right it would have to be completely submerged in water.

PoRT
09-25-2002, 03:07 PM
in other words.. i wouldnt have made it home??

2k2civicSi
09-25-2002, 03:09 PM
no it would have hydro locked and shut off you would know
but you really shouldnt drive in that kinda stuff

PoRT
09-25-2002, 03:14 PM
yeah, i know, but i was stuck at work about 100 miles from my house, and i kinda had no choice. believe me, it wont happen again. what do u think the burning smell was? do u think the clutch could have gotten wet or something?

smokincivic
09-25-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by PoRT
yeah, i know, but i was stuck at work about 100 miles from my house, and i kinda had no choice. believe me, it wont happen again. what do u think the burning smell was? do u think the clutch could have gotten wet or something?

Just a side note also if you had gotton water in it and it did hydro-lock make sure you get that AEM intake off and the stock one back on (I hope you kept it just for this reason) before it gets to the dealership at all costs otherwise you'll be SOL as far as warranty goes

HondaMan
09-25-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by smokincivic

Just a side note also if you had gotton water in it and it did hydro-lock make sure you get that AEM intake off and the stock one back on (I hope you kept it just for this reason) before it gets to the dealership at all costs otherwise you'll be SOL as far as warranty goes

Good advice!

JSIR
09-25-2002, 05:50 PM
when the filter gets wet the engine will ingest some water just though seepage, that isn't bad, probably just a fine mist or trickle of water. I'm willing to bet you have some water streaks in your throttle body, but sounds like your engine is fine. If the car hydro-locks you would definitely know it, the engine basically grenades, so you are safe for sure. From what I have seen in the past I bet the filter is soaked, I would take it off and let it dry out on its own, usually overnight is good enough, before using again. good luck.