PDA

View Full Version : Kyokugen or locking lugs?

frentzenej11
01-26-2004, 11:13 AM
Hey guys. I just bought Dunricks RH S7's and debating whether to purchase traditional locking lug nuts or satin silver Kyokugens; if they even fit. Any suggestions? Whats the better security?

02civicSI
01-26-2004, 11:48 AM
DONT GET KYOKUGENS. they strip very easily.

raiyo
01-26-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by 02civicSI
DONT GET KYOKUGENS. they strip very easily.

yah, what he said. also, if someone have the kyokugen key, they can steal your rims easy. all there keys are the same.

goy091
01-26-2004, 03:08 PM
Kyokugens, the nuts themselves are fine, the key is fine as long as you don't over torque them and DO NOT use an impact wrench on them. I have them but i just changed them for some Gorilla spline drive lugs which seem to work pretty well so far. The gorillas were $36 shipped from jcwhitney.

oh yea the lugs are suppose to be tqed to 80 ft/lbs

K20A3Si
01-27-2004, 08:24 AM
i have the kyo's but i just ordered some WORK lugs to go with my new WORK wheels...i would love to keep the kyo's but i hear the tool strips out after a few times of usuage...but whatever i will keep them for back ups....

trk
01-27-2004, 09:37 AM
SO.... ignoring the cost of the lug nuts ... what are the absolute best? and most secure?

irrational
01-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by K20A3Si
i have the kyo's but i just ordered some WORK lugs to go with my new WORK wheels...i would love to keep the kyo's but i hear the tool strips out after a few times of usuage...but whatever i will keep them for back ups.... i think im gonna do that too. i have been thinkin about it for some time now. now that i know what i know bout the kyokugen lugs i will have to replace them for reliablity reasons even though the damn WORK lugs are like $120.00. does anybody know where to get em cheaper? i also wanna get some extra sets of valve stems and caps that way later on down the road i will not have to worry about matching another brand just in case the factory ones go bad.

raiyo
01-27-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by trk
SO.... ignoring the cost of the lug nuts ... what are the absolute best? and most secure?

i'd say lock nuts, mcgard lock nuts

31102si
01-27-2004, 08:37 PM
how about muteki's are they ok? basicly like the kyo's

02civicSI
01-27-2004, 08:47 PM
i have zenki lugs in black and i painted my honda lugs a glossy black. both are locking.

Peking
01-27-2004, 09:04 PM
Found this from back in the day...

Originally posted by chunky
MCGARD!!!!

they're about 60-70 bucks, spline drive, stronger than the koyokugen, slightly heavier, have a lifetime garantee on the finish, you can get them in black chrome for a little extra $$

check www.summitracing.com, the black chrome & regular chrome also have the added protection of having the tuner wheel locks on top of the already secure spline drive, so you need two keys to get the wheel off. I just bought the red capped set, they're cheaper, and they match the black/red exterior motif of the si. they are cheaper b/c they don't make red capped tuner locks, so the set obviously doesn't come with 'em.

here is the thread...
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12604&highlight=lug+thread

Also here is something else with helpful info...
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19327&highlight=wheel+locks

513n179
01-28-2004, 12:27 AM
do not use kyokugens, you'll be sorry... they DO strip fairly easily if you aren't careful. if they do strip, they're a bitch to get off... i stripped 3 keys trying to get them off so i could sell my rims, but i had no luck. i was able to get all them off except 2. i had to take my car to a shop to have the whole wheel assembly removed, and the other lugs cut off from the wheel. i lost about $250-300 to get the wheel off, and only sold the rims for $550... sorry bout the long story, but they suck period!

btw, thats the wheel in the avatar:p

goy091
01-28-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by 31102si
how about muteki's are they ok? basicly like the kyo's

From what i've read the Muteki's are better than the Kyo's. The key is much stronger.

Locking lug nuts, i'd go with the McGaurd if i had the $70 to spend on lug nuts, until then my Gorillas are holding up fine.

K20A3Si
01-28-2004, 04:21 PM
well i have had the kyo problem with the key stripping....i cut the key a little bit to get some extra grip and i got the lugs off....i used a saw at my job and i was lucky it worked becasue if it didnt i would have had the same problem 513n179 had :eek:

Ty's Si
01-28-2004, 04:49 PM
This may sound stupid, but could someone clarify the difference between locking lugs, tuner lugs and regular OEM lugs? How many kinds are there and what do they look like?

I had the OEMs obviously and used the tuners before, but am wondering what "locking lugs" look like compared to the others.

Forgive the n00b question.:)

dofu
01-30-2004, 06:13 AM
eh... i figure if someone was serious enough about stealin your wheels, they'd get em no matter what... as long as you'll need any kind of key to take off the lugs, that'll keep most ameteurs away.

goy091
01-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Ty's Si
This may sound stupid, but could someone clarify the difference between locking lugs, tuner lugs and regular OEM lugs? How many kinds are there and what do they look like?

I had the OEMs obviously and used the tuners before, but am wondering what "locking lugs" look like compared to the others.

Forgive the n00b question.:)

Tuner lugs have a more angled seating like / \ at the end of the nut

OEM lug nuts have a larger radius bulge ( )

most aftermarket wheels have a tuner seat on the lugs, so id you use the OEM lug it won't contact the entire lug nut seat on the wheel.

locking lug nuts are lug nuts that have a specialy designed key. you use the key with a tire iron to take off the lug nut