PDA

View Full Version : Neuspeed Front Strut Bar Users, PLS READ

raiyo
01-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Just a suggestion for you guys. This is what I found out when I was refinished the bar. The bar is hollow, pretty sure alot of you guys already know. At the 4 mount points, there is a small hole that leads to the main bar. Eventhough the outside of the bar seem okay/not rusting the inside "could." The bar is coated with a layer of paint from the maker, but the inside isn't. The outside could look strong, but the inside could be all weak and brittle. No point of having the bar when it is weak right? I would suggest you guys to buy some long lasting caulk and seal up the hole and stop anymore corrision. Just a heads up.

chunky
01-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by raiyo
Just a suggestion for you guys. This is what I found out when I was refinished the bar. The bar is hollow, pretty sure alot of you guys already know. At the 4 mount points, there is a small hole that leads to the main bar. Eventhough the outside of the bar seem okay/not rusting the inside "could." The bar is coated with a layer of paint from the maker, but the inside isn't. The outside could look strong, but the inside could be all weak and brittle. No point of having the bar when it is weak right? I would suggest you guys to buy some long lasting caulk and seal up the hole and stop anymore corrision. Just a heads up.

I haven't noticed any rust on mine. just that the polished part gets kinda tarnished. I don't think that the bar is actually rusting.

Peking
01-26-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by chunky
I haven't noticed any rust on mine. just that the polished part gets kinda tarnished. I don't think that the bar is actually rusting.

After some time (also keep in mind my bar was used when I got it), that after some time. Paint started to come off, I would guess since I had my strut housing taken off more than once (which means the bar had to come off). That paint could or was being scraped off, causing moisture to settle. Hence the begining stages of rust. Also the black caps do not do a great job of keeping water out (or atleast I suspect this). So what he is doing is a great idea on maintaining the bar. Also depending on what color, would be custom :)

ConeCrazy02
01-26-2004, 08:35 PM
Oxidation happens, besides, I don't really care for a strut bar, it's just there. Buying a new and probably more expensive, the price just doesn't justify the gain.

02SilverSiHB
01-26-2004, 08:51 PM
thanks for the heads up, I check mine, it's all clean and still new, I clean it everytime I clean the car, but I'll keep checking :)

raiyo
01-26-2004, 10:26 PM
Guys guys guys, You're missing my point here. There is no way you can clean the "inside" of the bar/tube. The bar is hollow and there is an opening/hole which can cause rusting "inside" the tube, not "out." The hole is located where the bar and the mount meets, just it out.

Let me take a picture, hope it will help. It is the part that is covered with caulk or the arrow pointing it.
http://www.raiyo.com/ep3/neuspeed/hole.jpg

mrfixit687
01-27-2004, 12:58 AM
it'll probably take years to rust anyways, and the bar is like 100 bux, buy a new one or something :p

fsugatorbait
01-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by mrfixit687
it'll probably take years to rust anyways, and the bar is like 100 bux, buy a new one or something :p

You guys are ridiculous. He's making a valid point, trying to save some of you guys from future trouble and all you guys do is laugh it off. Maintaining what you have is just as important as buying the right part. :rolleyes:

Spazhead
01-27-2004, 02:22 PM
thanks for the heads up, but i think they will last for a long time, my old neuspeed strut bar for the GTi was made the same way and it last 8 years as a winter car.

raiyo
01-27-2004, 04:25 PM
The outside of the bar could look fine, but the inside could be damage and starting to rust. When the bar is put in use, it might not put out 100% like it was when new. Just wanna let you guys know and just take caution.

Thanks for backing me up fsugatorbait. Some people just don't understand.

31102si
01-27-2004, 08:33 PM
thanks for the heads up raiyo :cool:

glw
01-27-2004, 09:05 PM
i sprayed wd40 type rust inhibitor in the hole and then pushed (??5/8"??) rubber heater cap/plug partway into the holes. the rubber plugs seal up the top holes and stop any moisture from getting down into there and hopefully the rust inhibitor halts any rusting that was going on before...

oh, i noticed the rust when i took my bar off to put in the aem v2 intake. it definitely had rust in there.

SilentGiant
02-05-2004, 04:51 PM
I am thinking of getting this bar asap.

do you think If mixed up some epoxy and injected it in the holes..or even fill the whole bar..when it hardened..would it affect the strength of it?

STP03BlueSI
02-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the Heads up. I will fill the hole next week.:)

raiyo
02-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by SilentGiant
I am thinking of getting this bar asap.

do you think If mixed up some epoxy and injected it in the holes..or even fill the whole bar..when it hardened..would it affect the strength of it?

whatever works. as long the hole is sealed then it should be good. make sure you guys fill the hole flush. if it you don't, when removing or installing the bar the wrench socket will rip it back out. That happen to me and I had to go it again when it was installed.

02SilverSiHB
02-07-2004, 09:07 PM
I wonder if neuspeed had figured this would happen and that's why they supplied the caps?

raiyo
02-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
I wonder if neuspeed had figured this would happen and that's why they supplied the caps?

the cap doesn't make an air tight seal. So having the caps on will help, but won't avoid the rust inside the bar. Like Peking said, the cap doesn't do a good job on what it is doing and water still gets in.