PDA

View Full Version : no rebars = poor handling?

JKD
01-27-2004, 03:38 AM
hi, does anyone know if rebars have anything to do with how our car handles? some member said that no rebars = poor handling, is that true?

thanks
Eric

eggsi
01-27-2004, 08:00 AM
if anything it should help our cars handle better, (not noticable though) due to losing about 40-50lbs. power/weight ratio. i took mine off last summer when i was going to install my bc kit, but i never did, so i'm driving naked, at least thats what i feel like when i think about it on the road. :o

Mugen_EP
01-27-2004, 08:32 AM
The rebars are for safety and have no imact on handling. Like Eggsi stated though, my buddies and I would pull them off when we would go out to the track for weight savings. It is a noticable difference when your on the track.;)

-Tony

Siman
01-27-2004, 09:08 AM
uhhh excuse me for this dumb question but, what in all that is holy are rebars??? Where are they at? I think i might know what you are talking about by a different name.......remember, I live in Tennessee!:D

Mugen Power
01-27-2004, 10:00 AM
I think they're talking about the bumper REinforcement BARS.

BlairSpeed
01-27-2004, 10:05 AM
okay, sense we are on the subject of bars, what are everyone's opinion on traction bars? would they a alternative to engine mounts as far as wheel hop? A friend of mine with a '00 GSR, said traction bars are necessary for front wheel traction.

william
01-27-2004, 07:31 PM
you'd think that any type of bar that ties the two halves of the car together (like say.....a strut bar) would help stiffen the chassi. So I'm gonna put my money on "yes, it will effect handling in a negative way" but that's just my opinion, and if anyone tells you otherwise their wrong:D

eggsi
01-27-2004, 08:29 PM
When i took mine off last summer it didn't look like they were there for any other reason than to help in a fender bender. The places to where they bolt up aren't really that special. They are just there to absorb most of an impact in the front or rear at slow speeds.(5mph)

siver-SI
01-27-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by eggsi
When i took mine off last summer it didn't look like they were there for any other reason than to help in a fender bender. The places to where they bolt up aren't really that special. They are just there to absorb most of an impact in the front or rear at slow speeds.(5mph)

They do a lot of saving work. If you have nothing there you have a good chance of dammaging the hatch. Wtih the front you can damage the hole front end there. I just can not see not having them because if you bump some thing a low speeds you are going to have to pay big time for your repair bills. For on track I would say take them off for weight. If you hit something while racing your are screwed no matter what.

dw735
01-27-2004, 09:16 PM
DONT take off the rebars, the reason i say that is because i wouldnt want eps out there with insurance, then get into an accident, and then the insurance company says no to you in getting your car fixed. my bro works in the auto body industry and he had experiences were people tampered with rebars, and the adjusters gave thema hassle. just my .02

Eee Pee
01-27-2004, 09:32 PM
I can tell you when I took of my bumper reinforcements on the the 94 hatch it turned into a flexy flier.
But in the name of weight savings, I'm not going to put them back on.

For a daily driven vehicle that might get into an accident at any given point in time,
and if your insurance company has anything to say about it, you best leave them on.

JKD
01-27-2004, 10:39 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, I took my rebars off cause I had the jdm bc kit. Got my car from the shop today with the bc kit installed, didn't really notice any difference on handling without front and rear rebar while turning or changing lanes but I was going really slow cause the road was really icy. I will get the jdm rebars as soon as I have enough money for them, don't want any hassle from the insurance company. By the way, this is a great site learned a lot about my car from here.

thanks again
Eric:D