PDA

View Full Version : is the salt and snow killing my si

03SiBlack
01-27-2004, 07:54 AM
Is this damn salt and snow ruining my paint job? I can only take it to the car wash once and a while because it will just get dirty again and i cant use my hose because it will freeze i cant wax my car either too cold. I hope by spring my car still has that great paint job that it came with

eggsi
01-27-2004, 08:10 AM
i feel your pain, up here in northern Indiana the salt trucks are pure evil. it seem that i always end up right behind one on my way to work. But as long as you wash it once or twice a week depending on how bad it is, you should be fine, this is my 2nd winter with my ep and it looked fine last spring, so don't worry about it. Honda's have been known to rust around the wheel wells in the past. But 99% of the time it was OLD accords civics (96-down). oh and make sure if you wash it at a car wash, get the underbody washed 2. ;)

Civicvtec1ps
01-27-2004, 10:47 AM
Snow, for prolonged periods of time, is bad for your car's finish.
Snow is moisture, moisture is bad
Snow contains impurities, impurities that can scratch
Snow, when refrozen, converts to ice. .ice moving along finish is bad.
Oh well. Snow sucks. I try to clean my car much as possible during winter.Thats all i can do.

k20hatch
01-27-2004, 11:21 AM
Dont even remind me about the snow...My cars sitting under about 5 inches of ice and snow! :(

FCobra94
01-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by k20hatch
Dont even remind me about the snow...My cars sitting under about 5 inches of ice and snow! :(

hehe. Same here. At least I have access to dads RX though ;)

Zero Three Si
01-27-2004, 12:56 PM
It's just a car....where you got the EP...you can get another.

rgGolf4
01-27-2004, 02:22 PM
Well salt and sand may hurt your car, but snow won't...its just water. That is what you use to clean your car, right?

I haven't washed my car in over a month. Its been too cold, and the one day it was warm enough, there was a mile long line. The paint jobs on cars nowadays are pretty good, even Honda. I wouldn't worry too much, just don't brush up against with the salt/sand cause it can scratch or create swirls. Oh and clean the snow off with a paint safe brush or your gloved hand (thats what I do). Thats really the only advice to give, but I'm coming from Massachusetts...I don't have many opportunities to wash my car.

shimmy_yaz
01-27-2004, 02:43 PM
I don't think that the snow is a major problem other than scratches if it is slightly frozen. The main thing you have to worry about is getting the salt off. Salt will eat thru the clear coat and eventually eat away at the paint if left alone for long enough. Trust me I know this it happened to my old jeep.

speedking604
01-27-2004, 07:14 PM
i heard in canada dont use salt anymore coz of that thing "ruins car paint" i think they use different now.i dont know what it's call but i think they are not using salt anymore "only in canada i dont know about others.