PDA

View Full Version : Konig Heliums

JoeNed21
01-27-2004, 02:11 PM
I was just curious about what process Konig uses to make the Heliums, since I'm really questioning their durability since they weigh all of 10.8 pounds. I don't want them to go and crap out on me just because I was going just a little too fast over a speed bump or something. :eek:

This might be the way to go for me if they're reasonable durable, and I wont take too big a hit on the wallet since they go for roughly $150. What do you guys think?

Civicvtec1ps
01-27-2004, 02:16 PM
Email Konig.

Lucid Moments
01-27-2004, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure what process they use, but I've got the 17" Heliums on my car with 215/45/17 Kumho rubber. When I first got them I was really scared of bumps and shit, but I accidentally hit a few pretty hard and the wheels are still perfect. I even scrubbed a curb pretty bad and you can barely tell. Since you are talking 10.8 pounds I assume you are going for the 15's and with that much rubber around it I think you would have to just about try to mess it up.

BlasTech
01-27-2004, 06:16 PM
They are just plain cast, using the same design as the forged volks CN028 (sp?)

Ive had them in 15's with no problems for a year now, including autocrossing alot.

However, a member here had two of his break at once while on the track, and I've heard two other autocross people say thiers cracked.

Im replacing mine out of fear and a compulsion to get bigger tires. Ill be putting them on my other car, which is lighter and never on the track.

I think if you have $150 to spend there are some wheels in the 12-13 lb range that are wider and just as nice but stronger

A-Tech Finalspeeds
Rota anythings
Kosei K1 Racing

All good light strong 15" wheels for the price.

Konig has a whole slew of new lightweight designs coming out too in the 13lb range.

What are your plans for the EP as far as competition (if any)

danoonez
01-27-2004, 06:46 PM
Are Rotas really that light? I just can't seem to justify buying a replica wheel, but if it's lighter then its genuine counterpart I'd be all over it.

JoeNed21
01-27-2004, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the useful info guys, I've been reading EP hatch for months now and I knew I wouldn't be let down. :D

Originally posted by BlasTech
What are your plans for the EP as far as competition (if any)

Well, my ep is mostly going to be for everyday use, but I'm hopefully going on the track for fun once I get some light bolt-ons on my car (i/h/e, etc), but its pretty tentative at the moment... Think of the ultimate daily driver. ;)

BlasTech
01-27-2004, 08:11 PM
For the ultimate daily driver, why not go with something bigger, and enjoy the extra width and looks?

Just try to stay within a maximum of one-pound-per-inch and you cant really go wrong.

Rotas, especially the slips are light.

Lucid Moments
01-27-2004, 09:09 PM
Just try to stay within a maximum of one-pound-per-inch and you cant really go wrong.

I'd never heard it put like that, but I like it. Makes sense as a good rule of thumb.

chunky
01-27-2004, 10:15 PM
i've heard of issues with both konig & rota wheels not being up to snuff for heavy duty track use.

If you're not going to track the car, the konigs will be fine. if you're gonna track the car, might want to look into something stronger.

I really like the wheels I have, and they have excellent quality for being a cast wheel. 10.7lb in a 15x7 size.

danoonez
01-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Does anybody know how much the 99-00 Si wheels weigh. Seems like a used set wrapped in some Azenis would be an alright setup for a beginner, and they can be had fairly cheaply.

chunky
01-27-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by danoonez
Does anybody know how much the 99-00 Si wheels weigh. Seems like a used set wrapped in some Azenis would be an alright setup for a beginner, and they can be had fairly cheaply.

15-16lb

danoonez
01-27-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by chunky
15-16lb

That's not too bad. Am I right in thinking they would be a decent setup for a beginner? I don't really want to run Azenis on the street when I've got perfectly good stock tires with a lot of life left in them (I don't drive spiritedly on the streets all that often anyway so I dont need a lot of grip on the street). I figure pick up a set of $200 Si coupe wheels and mount some $400 205/50/15 Azenis Sports and just change them out for Autocross days. Yay or nay?

JoeNed21
01-28-2004, 10:56 AM
Looks like I have some other alternatives. I've always considered performance a little over style (form follows function), so I might go conservative on the wheel size, around 15"-16". Oh well, all I need now is for college stop eating up my money. :yellm:

Thanks for the info guys!

BlasTech
01-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by danoonez
That's not too bad. Am I right in thinking they would be a decent setup for a beginner?

Personally I think they're too narrow, but you cant beat the price and resellability.

danoonez
01-28-2004, 02:15 PM
Personally I think they're too narrow, but you cant beat the price and resellability.

Too narrow for some 205 wide tires?

BlasTech
01-28-2004, 02:17 PM
Some places wont mount them, but they will fit, but you wont get the full contact patch, since they will be distorted on the 6" rim.

danoonez
01-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Some places wont mount them, but they will fit, but you wont get the full contact patch, since they will be distorted on the 6" rim.

I...did not know that. Thank you

todaCspec
01-30-2004, 11:37 AM
You can also get Kosei K-1, 15 X 7 rim from TireRack.

fsugatorbait
01-30-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by todaCspec
You can also get Kosei K-1, 15 X 7 rim from TireRack.

Hey Toda, did you sell your rims or what?