PDA

View Full Version : weight loss

nater_si
01-27-2004, 07:25 PM
Whats the easies way to take the back seat out. I'm trying to do a weight reduction on my 03 si. Any other way to lose some weight on this car.

raiyo
01-28-2004, 12:20 AM
No easy way on taking the back seat out, only 1 way.

If you're looking to loose some weight on the car, there are lots of stuff you can do.

Spare Tire & tools
Spare Tire Cover
Back Seat
Trunk Hatch Cover
Driver & Passenger Side Panels
Rear Speakers
Rear Seat Belt
Rear Wiper
Glove Box
Floor Center Console
Passenger Side Seat
Lose some weight

Lots more....just take out whatever u can and the car still moves.

With the spare tire/tools/cover, back seat, and rearside panels all gone the car went a whole lot faster. Tooked it all out when I sound proof the car.

Vertigo
01-28-2004, 12:25 AM
Hey Raiyo! What do you call that? Your "Jenny Craig diet for EP's"?

raiyo
01-28-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Vertigo
Hey Raiyo! What do you call that? Your "Jenny Craig diet for EP's"?

yup, they started that program like 3 years ago.
call em up, 888-LOSE-EP3

ep3hatchattack
01-28-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by raiyo
yup, they started that program like 3 years ago.
call em up, 888-LOSE-EP3

I think trippz went on that but for some reason it only worked on himself........ I told him to quit drinkin so much gas, but i guess it burned his fat right off......

Vertigo
01-28-2004, 03:17 AM
I think that people that call that # end up crashing or geting into a accident in there EP. I'll just take the Hollywood miracial 48 hour diet!

KimchiBoy_TypeR
01-28-2004, 04:47 AM
You can also take out the sunroof and replace it with a carbon fiber piece. And drive on a close to empty tank of gas;)

HiHoSilver
02-11-2004, 05:30 AM
just remove the tranny thats gotta be at least a 100 Ibs. or so

oogy-boogy
02-11-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by HiHoSilver
just remove the tranny thats gotta be at least a 100 Ibs. or so :D

Btrthnezr3
02-11-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by HiHoSilver
just remove the tranny thats gotta be at least a 100 Ibs. or so

Yeah, and if you take that heavy ass engine out, the EP will be much much lighter!! :D

cryptic02si
02-13-2004, 03:43 AM
I chopped mine from the doors up. No more heavy glass, roof, etc. Sorry no pics. My digital is broken.

eggsi
02-17-2004, 02:19 PM
you are joking right? i wonder what a droptop ep would look like, it would handle like a wet noodle.

cryptic02si
02-17-2004, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I'm joking. I didn't think anyone would take me seriously, but now that I reread it, I guess I should've added a lol or something.

dofu
02-17-2004, 10:42 PM
bumper covers, bumpers, change your wheels to blackies or jus get ultra lightweight 15"s, center console, dash, anything plastic really... take off trunk, all glass, better yet, chop the top off... basically anything that doesnt have any true mechanical function that helps move the car can go... i remember some mag did this to some sentra a while ago... stripped it as much as stripped could be to gain like 15 hp or something lol

naw, seriously, like raiyo said... but also heater core, ac, plexiglass replacement for any glass pieces, and removing or changing out that black layer on the bottom of the car will help lose a lot of weight too... wait... we dont have that do we??? well like stated up above, lighter wheels deffinately help.

who's got the formula for weight loss to hp gain?

SiRman
02-24-2004, 01:43 AM
who's got the formula for weight loss to hp gain?

Car weight/hp = X lbs per HP.

You don't actually gain any horsepower by droping wieght.
But losing X lbs off the car from the above formula is the equivalent of adding 1HP

Randomish numbers here:

2800lbs/ 150hp = 18.66lbs per HP

So with these numbers you have to take 18.66lbs off the car to get the effect of adding 1 HP.

eggsi
02-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by SiRman
So with these numbers you have to take 18.66lbs off the car to get the effect of adding 1 HP. [/B]
COOL, never thought of it that way.

dofu
02-24-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by SiRman
Car weight/hp = X lbs per HP.

You don't actually gain any horsepower by droping wieght.
But losing X lbs off the car from the above formula is the equivalent of adding 1HP

Randomish numbers here:

2800lbs/ 150hp = 18.66lbs per HP

So with these numbers you have to take 18.66lbs off the car to get the effect of adding 1 HP.

hmm... weight to power ratio... nice. but im talkin bout another formula... it breaks the car down into two pieces: for front wheel drives, its before the front windshield and after. the weight you lose after would give you more of a "gain" as opposed to the weight before since you're pulling weight with a front wheel drive. and before the windshield doesnt make that big of a difference because its above and before the wheels... kinda like taking a shopping cart and filling it up so it's pretty heavy, then pushing or pulling it to feel the difference... pulling the cart, it should seem heavier... so thats why losing weight after the windshield makes that much more of a difference. and then there's something about weight behind the rear wheels... dont remember too well... been a while since i really cared

tunerjetta29
02-25-2004, 08:18 PM
I would think you would want to take everything you can out of the car behind the front seats. Anything in front of that helps traction (more weight pushing down on those wheels). Thats part of why i dont get people putting carbon fiber hoods on.....

PogoFX
02-26-2004, 08:39 PM
F=MA or A=F/M (Acceleration = Force divided by Mass)

Achieve better acceleration by increasing the Force (engine power) or reducing the Mass (lose weight). I don't know if I buy into this before and after the windshield thing, no offense. There are some variences to this basic formula when you talk unsprung weight though (ex. weight of the wheels), but I don't think it matters where the weight is in your car (whether your pulling or pushing). It would definately have an affect on handling and traction characteristcs though. Could be wrong, I was a EE not a physics major. :)

SiRman
02-28-2004, 10:01 AM
Yes, with the F=MA formula, taking any weight off the car has the same effect, no matter where on the car it is.
Where the weight is removed will have a effect on the balance of the handling (cross weight forces, weight distribution etc) and traction. So you would want it to balanced for overall optimum handling.