PDA

View Full Version : Pretty basic turbo Q's

SubliminalSi
01-28-2004, 10:51 AM
I might be getting the SFP turbo and i have no experience with turbos..anyways, is there any types of modifaction i need to do or buy for the turbo to work correctly. Also i drive almost 200 miles a week, would the turbo and enigne work ok putting that many miles on it? Also i might have to try to install it myself with a few friends, is it pretty striaght foward on installing it? and how long it could possibly take, i just heard that the oil return would be a bit compilcated...and if theres anything else i should know plz inform lil ole me:) <3

esmith13
01-28-2004, 11:04 AM
based on your post, i would say don't install it yourself....

However, if you ignore my plea - hers some of the tips you will need to know...

1) Oil return will involve drilling a hole in your oil pan

2) whole install will take about a week with two people working 4-6 hrs a day if you don't have a lift and air tools.

3) You NEED to have torque specs for the bolts you'll be messin with - especially for the turbo manifold...

4) If the kit dosen't come with ES Motor mount inserts - GET THEM

5) if you have to run a return fuel line for that kit - make sure your gas tank is at least half empty before you start your install and be prepared to remove your rear bench seat to work on the line

Also, EPHatchgirl did her own turbo install... I would ask her for more recommendations...

Eric

SubliminalSi
01-28-2004, 11:18 AM
lol, you kinda scared me about doing it myself, how long would a good shop take? and will i need new injectors?

esmith13
01-28-2004, 12:11 PM
I hope you kit comes with new injectors.... I assume if SFP is making as much HP as me and even more than me on their test car then you would need them. They should be in the kit.... you obviously haven't looked into this much... How about guages??? You NEED a boost guage and either A/F or EGT or both as well... Those are prolly not in your kit either...

As for install prices/times... i paid $600 and it too a full 7 day week from drop off to pick up for mine. I'm sure the shop didn't only work on my car in that time tho - and only one guy was assigned to my car.

It is difficult and time consuming... most normal break/fix mechanics wouldn't do a turbo install if you threw gobs of cash at them - it just ain't easy - even if it is a direct bolt on kit...

Eric

Pikachu
01-28-2004, 06:13 PM
subliminal trust me if you go with the sfp turbo kit, you will not be disappointed. I just got mine installed and it is great. i am only on 3.5 pounds but i am also pushing 217 whp 185 tq. It runs great it is just a dream i had a turbo rs eclipse on 7 psi and did not even compare to this on 3.5.

It does not come with guages but look at it in a good way now you get to choose which guages you want.

But as for the turbo kit if i had the choice again i would still do the sfp turbo kit, just remember esmith13 on the same amount of boost that Most-Wanted has Most Wanted has 40 more horsepower to the wheel.

esmith13
01-28-2004, 07:35 PM
of course he does... he has a higher rev-limit ;) Where do you think the extra ponies are made??

Oh, and I'm not tryin to talk him into a CN kit. Don't turn it into a debate... But for the record I made 266.8WHP and Most Wanted Made 297WHP... That's only 30WHP difference not 40WHP ;) and considering I made max power right at redline, I would assume if I bit the bullet and got hondata I would hit about 300WHP as well near 7700rpm. However mine is a daily driver and I'm not THAT crazy... I would want a built head and block first... It is however awsome that SFP's kit comes with hondata.

Oh, and there's no way that a race tuned car could be a daily driver with a flash instead of a S-AFC... i can tune for race and add some fuel for taste in the winter... With a flash if you race tune it it will run dangerously lean in the dead of winter and not be adjustable, without a reflash... making it unsafe tuned that way for daily driving.... Most Wanted admited it wasn't a daily driver...

Eric

Pikachu
01-28-2004, 09:28 PM
first of all you would get a v-afc not an S-afc also mine is a daily driver and the sfp kit does not come with hondata and it is not just a reflash it is tuned on a dyno with a fmu.

Not trying to argue with you the numbers i know that it is only a 30whp difference but imagine how much that would make a difference, and Most-Wanted is making that power at 7500 rpm not 7700.

Regardless which kit you go with you will see hp gains greatly but i would just go with SFP because the #'s that they have proven, and also customer support is great they will answer any q's you have.