PDA

View Full Version : N2O question

g_kristian80
01-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Okay, Here are some things that keep me up a night==>

Why is it that you get power from N2O? Is it just because the engine is getting more oxygen? If that is the case, wouldn't you just be able to use an air tank instead of Nitrous? What if you were to use a tank full of oxygen only? Would this be better/same/worse?

Vertigo
01-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Ok...you have part of that right. Let me explane. Check out this link..HERE! (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question259.htm) Yes, nitrous makes more power because it stuffs the combustion chamber with more oxygen. Wet kits also use fuel mixed with the nitrous. So, more fuel + more nitrous = more hp. No you would not be able to use just a tank of compressed air. Compressed air is the ambient air that you and i breathe everyday. it consistes of oxygen, hydrogen and a few more things. Plus, the compressed air is not an excellerant. Meaning it will not burn or combust. Nitrous is only flamable when it is mixed with fuel. I hope that heled you out a bit.

g_kristian80
01-28-2004, 08:42 PM
That helps out quite a bit.

Vertigo
01-28-2004, 08:44 PM
No Problem! Y'all come back now ya here!:D

WarmPepsi
02-04-2004, 04:57 PM
heh, great "idiot-proof" link :D

Vertigo
02-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by WarmPepsi
heh, great "idiot-proof" link :D
I wouldn't say that! You could read that article and still hook something up wrong. The only thing "idiot-proof" when it comes to customizing cars is putting on stickers.:D

WarmPepsi
02-05-2004, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Vertigo
I wouldn't say that! You could read that article and still hook something up wrong. The only thing "idiot-proof" when it comes to customizing cars is putting on stickers.:D

:D no, thats quite dangerous stuff. you wouldn't believe how many stickers people can put on that aren't even straight :cool:

K-Series
02-05-2004, 05:42 AM
Well, you could use "pure" oxygen but that's stuff is so flammable and dangerous I doubt it would be legal. Also, I don't know of oxygen's temperature in liquid form. It may also not be as cold as N2O, but again, speculation.

Nitrous is actually never flammable, strictly an acclerant.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/nitrous/nitrous_data_sheet.shtml

Steve

WarmPepsi
02-05-2004, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by US_Si
Well, you could use "pure" oxygen but that's stuff is so flammable and dangerous I doubt it would be legal. Also, I don't know of oxygen's temperature in liquid form. It may also not be as cold as N2O, but again, speculation.

Nitrous is actually never flammable, strictly an acclerant.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/nitrous/nitrous_data_sheet.shtml

Steve

well, n2o isn't exactly legal. :D i mean the laws vary from state to state on how/when it can be hooked up or used. Granted we don't have the medical stuff, so theres no worry of drug charges :D

K-Series
02-05-2004, 06:19 AM
N2O is legal to have in all 50 states. Pure oxygen or medical grade N2O isn't. :)

Steve

WarmPepsi
02-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by US_Si
N2O is legal to have in all 50 states. Pure oxygen or medical grade N2O isn't. :)

Steve

not on the street/hooked up. Simply having a kit installed, no bottle, fails carb in CA. and each state is a little different so i've heard.

also, it's a gray area, but any gasses are supposed to be marked on the vehicle ( note the placards on trucks ). But basically, if you're not doing anything dumb, you won't be hassled.