PDA

View Full Version : Real VTEC for the SI?

savesteve
01-28-2004, 02:12 PM
Ok guys so here's my question. I know we got the shaft as far as our vtec point/cams go.

My question is: Can some new cams / computer work cure this?

So I'm thinking like this right....

We have 2 cam profiles by default shitty/regular.
@~2200 rpm we switch from shitty -> regular.

So if we got us some cams that had 2 diffrent profiles say...
regular / aggressive then had the ECU reflashed to change the VTEC point to ~ 4750 - 5500 depending on the cams.

Is this a fesable setup? And if it is WTF are these and how much?

I know emissions would probly goto shit (well for our ULEV anyways probly still less than your mom's SUV), as well as maybe some gas economy(I don't think it would effect the gas so much since DC5's have a real VTEC and they are rated at better milleage than us anyways).

If I'm way of base here let me know. I'm somewhat of a noob as far as the inner workings of our cars but from what I gather there isn't much more to it right? :)

goy091
01-28-2004, 02:16 PM
K20A2 headswap is what you're looking for.

2.0L Monster
01-28-2004, 02:37 PM
The Si is LEV.

Peking
01-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by 2.0L Monster
The Si is LEV.

Isn't it ULEV?

Originally posted by savesteve
My question is: Can some new cams / computer work cure this?
We have 2 cam profiles by default shitty/regular.
@~2200 rpm we switch from shitty -> regular.
So if we got us some cams that had 2 diffrent profiles say...
regular / aggressive then had the ECU reflashed to change the VTEC point to ~ 4750 - 5500 depending on the cams.
Is this a fesable setup? And if it is WTF are these and how much?
I know emissions would probly goto shit (well for our ULEV anyways probly still less than your mom's SUV), as well as maybe some gas economy(I don't think it would effect the gas so much since DC5's have a real VTEC and they are rated at better milleage than us anyways).

Hopefully there will be some more aggresive cams made, I think Skunk2 has something in the works. Then a flash should help with the fuel mapping. It is a feasable set-up. Don't know how much yet, we will see. Emissions might not be so bad honestly. To me you are pretty much close. You could swap the A2 head on your block. Or just swap for a whole A2 motor. Then you could get the Toda package, Mmmmm... Toda....

savesteve
01-28-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by 2.0L Monster
The Si is LEV.

Dunno about yours but mines got a sticker that says ULEV.

savesteve
01-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Peking
Isn't it ULEV?

Hopefully there will be some more aggresive cams made, I think Skunk2 has something in the works. Then a flash should help with the fuel mapping. It is a feasable set-up. Don't know how much yet, we will see. Emissions might not be so bad honestly. To me you are pretty much close. You could swap the A2 head on your block. Or just swap for a whole A2 motor. Then you could get the Toda package, Mmmmm... Toda....

Well I don't think I'm compatent enough to do either swap myself so I'd probly have a shop do it. In which case I'm sure the cams come at a much lower price than the full blown head swap. (And the A2 heads seem somewhat tough to come by. I searched ebay and only found complete A2 motors.)

I don't really wanna do the whole A2 swap since aside from the head their motor really dosn't offer up anything more than the A3 for someone looking to go for some FI.(Namely me) Actualy apart from our VTEC suxieness our motor seems to really shine with FI. IF toda made stuff for us then I'd be all over that, but aparently they are only intrested in the RSX. (I assume since they use it and not the SI in competition.) I think once we start to get a little more aftermarket support we'll be in good shape. Kudos do go out to Skunk2, I know they're making a bunch of stuff for us.

Peking
01-28-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by savesteve
Well I don't think I'm compatent enough to do either swap myself so I'd probly have a shop do it. In which case I'm sure the cams come at a much lower price than the full blown head swap. (And the A2 heads seem somewhat tough to come by. I searched ebay and only found complete A2 motors.)

I don't really wanna do the whole A2 swap since aside from the head their motor really dosn't offer up anything more than the A3 for someone looking to go for some FI.(Namely me) Actualy apart from our VTEC suxieness our motor seems to really shine with FI. IF toda made stuff for us then I'd be all over that, but aparently they are only intrested in the RSX. (I assume since they use it and not the SI in competition.) I think once we start to get a little more aftermarket support we'll be in good shape. Kudos do go out to Skunk2, I know they're making a bunch of stuff for us.

Oh yeah, we will be in great shape. It's a Civic :D

myeverlovinsir
01-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Yeah, cam options for the A3 are going to be bleak. There are the Vtec killers, did you look into those?

The problem with the A3 head is not with designing more aggressive cams for the intake side, rather the exhaust side poses more work involved than just cams which need to be compatible with any upgrade to the intake side. A3 head only has vtec on the intake side...I suggested this before and think that any real viable gains in the A3 cam upgrade will have to include the swap of the more aggressive cams on the intake side (2 lobes still) and a similar or exact setup on the exhaust side. This will include the dual lobes, dual rocker arms and similar rocker shafts as are on the intake side. The trick is to have properly designed cams for both sides. This is what any cam designer out there SHOULD be considering or doing for the A3 to have 'real' vtec. I would love to be involved in this work and my suggestion may prove to be what we finally see for the A3 at a cost of course, much more than just buying cams. This probably is the reasoning behind WHY no one cares to do cam work on the A3. It just does not make much sense economically or power wise for a cam shop to put higher lift/duration on cam lobes at the sacrifice of poor idle conditions/emissions dictated by the single lobes on the exhaust side.;)

Someone will likely come out with something soon, however I imagine them to be milder than everyone

savesteve
01-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Peking
Oh yeah, we will be in great shape. It's a Civic :D

heheh alright well good shape for a Civic :).

2.0L Monster
01-28-2004, 04:53 PM
Click Here (http://www.hondacars.com/models/specifications.asp?ModelName=Civic+Si)

Its Lev 2, don't ask me what that means. :(

K20A3Si
01-29-2004, 04:10 PM
tis only LEV...at least thats what my sticker says