PDA

View Full Version : Painting Rims Pt. 2

TrippZ
01-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Okay, so i start on Friday! Black with a polished lip. Here's my questions to you guys that i need answered immediately!

What kind of the following thisgs do I need to get?

Sandpaper?
Degreaser?
Primer?
Paint?
Specific tape?
Clear coat Stripper?

Any other advice would be appreciated! Thanks guys :D

2k2ep
01-28-2004, 05:29 PM
You will want to finish with 800 grit wet or you will have sanding marks. Actually the blue and white ammonia free sprayaway brand glass cleaner will work good in a pinch. I suggest buying a kit with primer and paint that go together or hit up a paint supply and see what they can pre mix in a spray can. Buy good masking tape and maybe some fine line tape from the paint supply. I'm not sure what you would need stripper for I would not suggest stripping the paint because if ANY paint is left you might have adhesion problems.

idrive
01-28-2004, 06:24 PM
does doing all that REALLY work?! i mean... its impossible to get an "original" quality finish from a paint can anyways, so why spend all the time and effort going through all the layers?
ive painted rims before just by using rough sand paper to thin out the existing finish, and then a higher grit to make it smooth and just spraying the paint directly on after that... if i ever got a chip or if it started dulling its really easy to take off the wheels and give it a few more coats to get the finish back..

downhil
01-28-2004, 06:43 PM
the hardest part is laying out the masking tape in a perfect circle.

2k2ep
01-28-2004, 07:03 PM
Make a compass with a couple of pencils and a piece of string so you can mark the circumfrence of the wheel. When you start to mask make sure its CLEAN then using regular masking tape mask about 1/8in. away from the line. Then using fine-line tape 1/4in. wide with one peice mask up to the line making sure to cover all gaps between the masking tape. Right after you paint pull the fine-line off so after the paint dries it will not create a rough edge.

TrippZ
01-30-2004, 03:30 PM
idrive im not looking for a professional look exactly i just want a polished lip with black spokes and i dont want to pay $200 for powder coating each rim

i need to know what i should buy to strip the clearcoat off the lip though, anyone know?

im not too worried about the tires because im getting new ones soon anyway, so overspray doesnt bother me really

im still confused as to what grit sandpaper i sohudl use. ive heard 800 and ive heard 1300? whats the difference?

do you guys think i hsould go with flat black or a metallic black?

Low Rider
01-30-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by TrippZ
Okay, so i start on Friday! Black with a polished lip. Here's my questions to you guys that i need answered immediately!

What kind of the following thisgs do I need to get?

Sandpaper?
Degreaser?
Primer?
Paint?
Specific tape?
Clear coat Stripper?

Any other advice would be appreciated! Thanks guys :D

What you need is a doctor man!:p

Peking
01-30-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Low Rider
What you need is a doctor man!:p

Why do you say that?

Low Rider
01-30-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Peking
Why do you say that?

This is the same dood that started that thread about "pooping his pants"! I think he needs medical attention or something...

BSEVEER
01-30-2004, 05:09 PM
The reason for sanding is to roughen up the surface so the the paint will stick, dont make it too rough or it will look like shit. Use several thin coats to prevent runs, good luck.

Peking
01-30-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Low Rider
This is the same dood that started that thread about "pooping his pants"! I think he needs medical attention or something...

That wasn't Trippy Wippy, it was someone else :D and you are right that guy needed some help.

oldschoolimport
01-30-2004, 10:58 PM
I've thought about doing mine since it seems I won't be getting weels anytime soon. being a homeowner sucks.:(

2k2ep
01-31-2004, 02:44 PM
LOL, sorry I was bored trying to doo something. Anyway I suggest stripping all the paint off first to do a polished lip. Or at least sanding the entire edge you want polished and then feathering the painted part back at least 2in further. For stripping agents I always liked Aircraft Remover they sell it at walmart here in the auto paint section. First you have to sand the area, then spray the A.R. on the area and leave it for several minutes finally spray of the area with a presure washer and presto the paint should mostly be gone. I'd try it on an area from the back that you cant see to experiment.