PDA

View Full Version : So I got rejected at state inspection today

anjapower
01-29-2004, 03:25 PM
I had to get my car inspected because the sticker was expiring at the end of January. I take it to the first place where my work gets all their cars inspected (body shop) hoping that I wouldn't get any grief about a modified exhaust.

Right now I am just running a catback Comptech...anyway since the guy there knew that I was from North Amherst Motors (my work), he was kind enough to give me back my money.

He came back into the waiting area after about a minute saying he'd have to fail it because the exhaust was too loud?!?! WTF! There are cars WAY louder than mine, not to mention the Comptech is 50 state legal.

I tried arguing/explaining him that the car would still pass emissions, but he just said that he'd still have to fail it because of the noise.

Needless to say I wasn't too happy, and had to drive about 20 miles out of the way to a inspection station known to be lenient.

I can't believe I wasted 2hrs today because my exhaust is supposedly too loud:mad:

andy
01-29-2004, 03:28 PM
Bummer. Inspections are a joke.
In NC, I got rejected b/c I had a 0.5" hole in my exhaust, where
it met the muffler (this was on a truck). Yet every day in NC, I
saw at *least* one car missing a headlight and many more that were
absolute beaters.

I think you should remove your catalytic converter now, just out of
spite. ;)

anjapower
01-29-2004, 03:38 PM
yea screw the state, the popo, the environment. My race header is getting put on immediately!:mad:

shimmy_yaz
01-29-2004, 04:06 PM
never heard of anyone failing for there exhaust being too loud. I know of guys getting tickets for noise though.

Low Rider
01-29-2004, 04:18 PM
That's pretty lame-ass... I used to own the Comptech catback myself. I found it to be loud and droney in the cabin but, it wasn't too loud externally by any stretch. Did you ever have problems with the mid-pipe banging against the floor in heavy rain?

BSEVEER
01-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Did they prove that it was too loud? For example, the maximum db is x and your car is y.

k20hatch
01-29-2004, 04:44 PM
My rain ride got rejected. Hehe i need a new front window, new exhuast, and new tires. Im selling the car for 100 because i dont feel the need to fix it.

DavidT
01-29-2004, 05:10 PM
I guess I'm one of the few that actually cares for pollution?? I'm not a greenie but I care about the environment I live in. I've driven and heard Ep's with the Comptech Exhaust, it is loud but its not loud enough for it to be rejected by California noise levels (Varies by state) Since it's 50-state legal it should pass...but whatever, the guy is probably just saving his butt just incase it's louder than what the state allows (I'd do the same thing, I wouldn't want to lose my state inspection license for saying your exhaust is ok when maybe it's not for your state?)

By golly if you do get a race, header, please put a cat on it. Your kids are going to live on Earth after you and make it nice for them ok. Not only that, if a cop pulls you over and sees you don't have a cat that's a $1000+ fine and your car gets towed on spot (Again, CA law, varies within state.) I'm not by any means telling you guys what to do, just suggesting stuff. Be smart ;) And Anja if you call Comptech or if they sent you something with their exhaust saying it's 50-state legal within noise pollution levels you can use that during inspection and they will pass you. Otherwise it's your word against theirs...

styllinep3
01-29-2004, 06:02 PM
thats bullshit anjapower. take it some where else. i ve never heard of anything like that . oh about the race header. our ep with no exhuast at all running rich would still have 1/4 of the shit going into the air that those triaxels and big rigs put out. not trying to argue. im just saying its bullshit the states break our balls about emissions on these little 4 cyls, when those rigs dump all the shit they dump out.

VividDreams
01-29-2004, 06:21 PM
hey styllin, umm, deisels burn cleaner than gasoline engines. the black smoke is just a byproduct of the combustion going on in their comustion chambers. what i mean is, they dont work exactly the same as gas engines, thats why they produce black smoke.

and DavidT, props, i agree with you.

BlackFL2k2Si
01-29-2004, 06:29 PM
It does suck, but don't fuck up the environment by going with no cat just in spite.

anjapower
01-29-2004, 06:33 PM
hey DavidT, I did bring up the fact that I have a certificate but the guy was an idiot and said that supposedly in the state of MA, you can't put on a louder exhaust:rolleyes:

Oh and I'm not cutting my Comptech race header to put a cat on it either. The cat is largely for emission control at startup/when engine is cold. I don't have proof but I bet our cars would probably pass emissions even without the cat on there.

Also, think of it this way: car enthusiasts are a small part of the population. A smaller subset of this already small population (those who don't run cats) isn't going to effect anything. The bigger problem is popularity of polluters like the Hummer H2, etc. My little 2 Liter civic running w/o a cat is a drop in the ocean.

Tenacious G
01-29-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by anjapower
Also, think of it this way: car enthusiasts are a small part of the population. A smaller subset of this already small population (those who don't run cats) isn't going to effect anything. The bigger problem is popularity of polluters like the Hummer H2, etc. My little 2 Liter civic running w/o a cat is a drop in the ocean.

i agree to an extent. when you consider the fact SUVs get 1/2 to 1/3 of the gas mileage a four-cylinder gets, that's where you'll see a lot of unnecessary pollution. studies also have been done that reducing highways speeds to a supposedly more economical 55 mph did very little in the way of reducing air pollution. i should know, i live in one of the dirtiest cities in america.

i also would venture to say that "tuners" are running cleaner cars than a lot of other drivers out there who neglect their cars (i.e. not changing oil, no proper maintenance, low tire pressure, etc.).

but don't get me wrong, i'm a self-proclaimed tree hugger. i like the fact the EP is an LEV or ULEV or whatever. but running your car with a catalytic coverter (which does more than just reduce emissions when the car is cold, it also burns up a lot of the NOx, carbon dioxide and hydrocarbons (unburned fuel) that would be released into the atmosphere) helps reduce auto pollution a great deal. even though it would be nice to free up exhaust flow, the cat is there for a good reason.

SFla02si
01-29-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by anjapower

Oh and I'm not cutting my Comptech race header to put a cat on it either. The cat is largely for emission control at startup/when engine is cold. I don't have proof but I bet our cars would probably pass emissions even without the cat on there.

[/B]

Actually, the most pollutants your car makes is when it is running cold until the cat heats up.
When the cat heats up it then starts to reduce the emissions

esmith13
01-29-2004, 07:26 PM
Fuck a cat. :D

Sorry... I felt the need to share.

Eric

shimmy_yaz
01-29-2004, 07:31 PM
I'm allergic to cats LOL

styllinep3
01-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by VividDreams
hey styllin, umm, deisels burn cleaner than gasoline engines. the black smoke is just a byproduct of the combustion going on in their comustion chambers. what i mean is, they dont work exactly the same as gas engines, thats why they produce black smoke.

and DavidT, props, i agree with you.

i have to disagree. a vw diesel might burn cleaner then a gas engine. ill even give you a ford power stroke engine, but no way do those big trucks burn clean.
i have a cdl i drive these trucks. there exhaust stinks. it give me a headache to even smell it. no gas engine gives, or ever has given me a headache.
some of these truck have like 300 000 on them, and they arent keep up with. theres just no way that a 10 liter engine diesel or not, burns cleaner then a 2 liter gas engine.
all or you guys are "like yea dont pollute the enviorment". what about race cars they dont run cats . you like racing dont u? then tell them to start running cats. what about all the factory and chemical plants dumping shit into the air, water, and ground. i mean guys our car is a lev car to begin with. you really think that running the car with no cat is that bad? im not trying to start anything im just saying that there so much more out there that could be improved, and changed to save our enviorment. so why stress on a already low emission car with out a cat.. thats all im saying. besides the envoirment is fucked anyway.

i used to never get sunburn now i get it after a couple of hours. the ozone is gone already if you ask me .

Vertigo
01-29-2004, 08:52 PM
I'm a little worried, because tomorrow i have to take mine through emissions. I don't have a CEL and i still have the cat. It's the first time for me, because the state i used to live in didn't have emissions. I guess that's what i get for moving to the big city.

styllinep3
01-29-2004, 08:56 PM
unless your running rich or have no cat then you should be fine. anja deal is one i ve never heard of. to loud thats great

anjapower
01-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Mel...oogy-boogy on ephatch, has also been rejected...for his crushbent midpipe w/ Apexi muffler. He will be switching to midpipe with stock muffler to remedy this. I'm not the only one. Apparently MA blows:o

styllinep3
01-29-2004, 09:03 PM
damn i thought pa was rough. ive never heard of anything like this . that sucks man. well go stock i guess just to pass. then throw the comtech back on . ;)

anjapower
01-29-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by styllinep3
damn i thought pa was rough. ive never heard of anything like this . that sucks man. well go stock i guess just to pass. then throw the comtech back on . ;)

Read the first post again. I was able to get another "more lenient" shop to pass me, for the regular $29 fee.:)

styllinep3
01-30-2004, 05:30 AM
oh yea missed that part.:D

STP03BlueSI
01-30-2004, 06:06 AM
I love Florida...no more Exhaust/Emissions test.:D

fsugatorbait
01-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Damn anj that sucks man, at least it all worked out for ya without too much hassle. Now hurry up and get that Comptech header on so I can beat your ass. ;)

excivic98
01-30-2004, 08:23 AM
I have a Buddy Club on my ep and it is loud as hell with the silencer out, but then again I live in Illinois and don't have to worry about that inspection crap.

Tenacious G
01-30-2004, 11:10 AM
all or you guys are "like yea dont pollute the enviorment". what about race cars they dont run cats . you like racing dont u? then tell them to start running cats.

any how many miles do these race cars race compared to all the neglected daily drivers out there? not to mention indy cars burn methanol, which is a cleaner burning fuel than gasoline. NASCAR is a different story (110 octane gasoline).

styllinep3
01-30-2004, 03:29 PM
well i dont know about most people, but if i dont run a cat its not a daily driver, cause i cant get it inspected without a cat.

VividDreams
01-30-2004, 04:12 PM
i have to disagree. theres just no way that a 10 liter engine diesel or not, burns cleaner then a 2 liter gas engine.

well, the SIZE of an engine does not dictate how clean it burns. meaning, a 10L and a 2L could produce the same amount of pollutants per liter. that just means the 10L will produce 5 times more than 1 2L. or, 1 10L will produce as much as 5 2Ls. my point, Honda, if it wanted to, could make a Hummer H2 competitor. Call it the ElementExtra, they make a 10L V8 to power it. Using their skills, they could make this engine classify as a LEV(our ep's are LEV's btw), however, im just acting as the devils advocate and understand completely what youre saying. im just trying to clear things up.

esmith13
01-30-2004, 05:37 PM
well i dont know about most people, but if i dont run a cat its not a daily driver, cause i cant get it inspected without a cat.

Well, I put about 800-1000mi a month on my Si with no cat.

Oh, and I get mine inspected in the same state as you so...... :D

Eric

esmith13
01-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by VividDreams
...Using their skills, they could make this engine classify as a LEV(our ep's are LEV's btw) ...

My ep is not LEV...

The '03's and '04's have a LEV sticker on them, but the 02's don't...
I don't think the '02's were submitted for LEV testing...
If they were, it was after i bought mine.

Eric

DavidT
01-30-2004, 06:11 PM
Dude ALL EP3 Civic Si's were LEV. If you don't believe me call up any dealership and ask. Hell why don't you call American Honda and have them tell you, their # 1-310-783-2000.

All vehicles are classified within weight. State law sets certain limits for the weight of your vehicle. So a 4500 pound SUV is allowed to burn dirtier than your 2700 pound vehicle. If your 2700 pound is burning as dirty as a 4500 then you got some major issues. I'm not going to argue with some of you cause everyone is entitled to their own living/life whatever. And whoever said the environment is already fawked...dude if it was fawked you wouldn't be breathing right now.

Honda has worked so hard to make their vehicles burn cleaner than everyone else's. Honda was the first to set LEV standarts, the first to set ULEV standards, the first to introduce a hybrid to the public, and they continue to set the standards of low emission vehicles. It's sad some of you take that away and think it's ok.

esmith13
01-30-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by DavidT
Dude ALL EP3 Civic Si's were LEV. If you don't believe me call up any dealership and ask. Hell why don't you call American Honda and have them tell you, their # 1-310-783-2000...

Hey dude - i don't recall being nasty to you?? All I said is i didn't think it was official before i bought my '02. Everyone i've seen around here that's an '03 or '04 has the ULEV decal on the quarter panel glass, but not a single '02 from around here has one... I just find it odd that's all.

Hell, greddy's turbo kit dosen't come with a CARB legal number on it cause testing isn't complete - but when it is it's retroactive to all kits sold - even the ones before it can have the number branded on the parts legally...

I'm just sayin the same seemed true with my Si...

And curb your attitude.

Eric

anjapower
01-30-2004, 08:26 PM
blah, blah, blah, blah. I know that its gonna pollute the environment a little more, but it's not gonna make a difference. You guys make it out as if my car will be responsible for the end of the world.

potator
01-30-2004, 08:39 PM
Wow, never even knew some states required annual(?) emission/smog tests... I'm a new driver, and I'm from CA, and for those of you in CA, do we have to go through any kind of tests?? If there is something like that I just didn't know about it.

DavidT
01-30-2004, 09:14 PM
Sorry if any of you took offense to my post, didn't mean it that way. Just stating the facts. And especially Anja, didn't mean to offend anyone of you guys. I respect your decisions and the parts on your car(s) because it's people like you guys that bring us the good info that if a part gives good gains or not. :D

Vertigo
01-30-2004, 10:10 PM
Well i'm kinda pissed! I took my car to emissions today and it failed! It passed the obd2 portion of the test but failed the gas cap pressureazation (cant spell) test. The guy there said that "Hondas have shitty gas caps". I was like "WTF! It's a new car with just over 15k miles. Your equipment must be shitty" So after that, i went directly to the dealer. They didn't have any new gas caps in parts, so they gave me one off a 04 model in the showroom. So i get to go back to the emissions center tomorrow and see if the new cap works. If i fail again, i'll have to pay another $10 to get it tested a third time. Hopefully it doen'tcome to that. And whenever i pulled in to the drive-thru bay to get tested. The guy grabed the mirror to look for the cat. He stuck it under the middle of the driver's side door. Then put it back quickly. He only took 5 seconds. I was thinking in my head "WTF! The cat isn't in the middle of the car underneth my ass. This guy must be a idiot." Anyway i'm still pissed. Tennessee emissions suck and the employes are total jackasses.

esmith13
01-30-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by potator
Wow, never even knew some states required annual(?) emission/smog tests... I'm a new driver, and I'm from CA, and for those of you in CA, do we have to go through any kind of tests?? If there is something like that I just didn't know about it.

in Pa we have annual Safety AND Emissions testing. Even when a car is BRAND NEW it MUST pass an emissions test to be legal. Oh, and if you don't have a Cat - they don't even run the test - YOU FAIL.

In MD it's once every 5yrs but the Government themselves conducts the tests (no slipping them $20 to pass you) so i personally feel their worse off then us annual guys in PA... ;)

Eric

esmith13

in Pa we have annual Safety AND Emissions testing. Even when a car is BRAND NEW it MUST pass an emissions test to be legal. Oh, and if you don't have a Cat - they don't even run the test - YOU FAIL.

In MD it's once every 5yrs but the Government themselves conducts the tests (no slipping them $20 to pass you) so i personally feel their worse off then us annual guys in PA... ;)

Eric

esmith13

Eric

esmith13
01-30-2004, 10:19 PM

Eric

Vertigo
01-30-2004, 10:25 PM
Well! I'm pissed off!! Today i took the EP to get emissions tested and it FAILED! It passed the obd2 portion of the test, but failed the gas cap pressureazation (can't spell) test. The guy that issued the test was like "Honda's have shitty gas caps". I was like "WTF! It's a new car with just over 15k. Your equipment is shitty" Then i went direct;y to the dealer. They did'n have any gas caps in parts so they took one off a new 04 model on the showroom floor. So now i get to go back tomorrow for try #2. If it fails agian this time, i'll be really pissed! In order to get it tested for a third time. I'll have to pay another $10. This was my fisr trip to Nashville's emissions center. I'll have to say the employes there are complete jackasses. When the guy did the visual mirror inspection for the cat, he stuck the mirror underneath the driver's side door. I was thinking "WTF! The cat isn't under my ass. Jesus these people are stupid". So that all my drama for the day. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Vertigo
01-30-2004, 10:25 PM
Well! I'm pissed off!! Today i took the EP to get emissions tested and it FAILED! It passed the obd2 portion of the test, but failed the gas cap pressureazation (can't spell) test. The guy that issued the test was like "Honda's have shitty gas caps". I was like "WTF! It's a new car with just over 15k. Your equipment is shitty" Then i went direct;y to the dealer. They did'n have any gas caps in parts so they took one off a new 04 model on the showroom floor. So now i get to go back tomorrow for try #2. If it fails agian this time, i'll be really pissed! In order to get it tested for a third time. I'll have to pay another $10. This was my fisr trip to Nashville's emissions center. I'll have to say the employes there are complete jackasses. When the guy did the visual mirror inspection for the cat, he stuck the mirror underneath the driver's side door. I was thinking "WTF! The cat isn't under my ass. Jesus these people are stupid". So that all my drama for the day. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Vertigo
01-30-2004, 10:26 PM

Vertigo
01-31-2004, 06:28 PM
Sorry about the echo. The site is fudged again or was last night. Anyway, i took the EP back to emissions today and it passed. So i'm not pissed anymore:) Still, it was a pain in my ass going through all that BS!

oldschoolimport
01-31-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Vertigo
Sorry about the echo. The site is fudged again or was last night. Anyway, i took the EP back to emissions today and it passed. So i'm not pissed anymore:) Still, it was a pain in my ass going through all that BS! glad to hear that the car passed emissions. is there any hope that when they smog test YOU that you will pass the sniffer test the first time around?:D

VividDreams
02-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by esmith13

Eric

well, youre right about the PA testing, seeing as how it just became mandatory for the whole state today. before it was only for people in your area, and around other big cities, i.e. Pittsburg. as for we being luckier that MD. i have to disagree. id rather see it be done by the state, especially at that interval of every 5 years. i personally dont think its right to pay someone off just so you can run illegally. but hey, who am i to say.

Vertigo
02-01-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by oldschoolimport
glad to hear that the car passed emissions. is there any hope that when they smog test YOU that you will pass the sniffer test the first time around?:D
The first time my car passed the "sniffer test", but failed the gas cap pressure test. Here on 95 and older get the tail pipe "sniffer test". On 96 and newer(obd2) they plug a conector to the diganostic plug under the driver side dash.