PDA

View Full Version : spring compressor

02civicSI
01-29-2004, 04:43 PM
do you need a spring compressor for coilovers? to get springs off? also what about grease for the coilovers?

andy
01-29-2004, 04:55 PM
I didn't use a compressor, but I also had the axle fall out. :(
If you have a local AutoZone or whatever, I think you can borrow
theirs (for a returnable deposit).

k20whiteboi269
01-29-2004, 04:58 PM
thats where i borrowed one and it was like a 30 dollar deposit. better to use compressor then the old towel trick. lol done it both ways

Civicvtec1ps
01-29-2004, 05:47 PM
It will be usuful to use to take out front springs out.
Just borrow one from autozone.

SiRacer03
01-29-2004, 06:30 PM
You don't definitely need to use the compressors for the rear but I believe that it's very useful for the front springs when taking it out. The bolt barely flies out on the front springs.

k20whiteboi269
01-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by SiRacer03
You don't definitely need to use the compressors for the rear but I believe that it's very useful for the front springs when taking it out. The bolt barely flies out on the front springs.

i noticed that on my buddies type-s. rear didnt need compressor but front could have. the front strut nut bearly flew 5 feet i was like wooh. here i was all nervous haha

SiRacer03
01-29-2004, 06:56 PM
Wow, it flew that much? lol mine barely went 2 feet. You won't need it for the front either but that's if you're willing to let the axles fall out just a tiny bit. Whatever you do, don't ever let the axle pop out since it's a real pain to get back in.

NBP_03Si
01-29-2004, 11:47 PM
well i see noboddy used a spring compressor, but i did. I Istalled my skunk2 spring coilovers and i used the spring compressor on front and rear in order to take out stock sping. I went to Pep-Boys and i rented it for like 4o bucks or something like that, be aware they have two types of spring compressor a one piece and a two piece, you need the two piece. Now the rear is cake but the front i actually worked on it with out taking the tie rod out since is was kinda bitching. the axel dropped (not out) in order to have some more room to work with, to put it back u just need to push it up at the same position u puted down, it will take u some tries but not big deal.

If u are going to do it and have any other question just aim me.

make sure u guys are 2, so is easier to stick the shock back in place...

good luck!

BlackSi613nin
01-30-2004, 06:46 AM
the springs on the eps arnt under a very high load. all i did was step on them (sideways) and unscrew the top bolt.. they poped but only a few inches, no spring flying and knocking my head off. and the back is even lesss loaded.

joHn

SiRacer03
01-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Are the rears even loaded? I could have sworn when I took my rear out it didn't even seem like it was compressed.

styllinep3
01-30-2004, 03:34 PM
i didnt use one either

Peking
01-30-2004, 04:09 PM
We used them.