PDA

View Full Version : I just got raped on buying a tire...not a good day

03SiBlack
01-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Ok i goto my garage today to get something out of my car. I hear a hissing noise i go over to the other side its coming from my tire so i go ohhh shiiiitttt so i pull it out and feel the air coming out. Its around 8oclock so i figure theirs no gas stations open to put a plug in so i find out sears is opened till 930. Bring it their and bring the car in and the guy says we need the nut lock thing to take off the bolt on the rim. I say why do you need to take off the rim to plug it? He says sears puts the plug in from the inside of the tire this is the only way we do it and we guarantee it the life of the tire. So i say okay fine..but i cant find the key to the tire i looked in my glove compartment even though i knew it wouldnt be their look near my spare i dont see it. So i said alright what am i gonna do now if you cant plug it so i drove home. I decided to give it one last look once i drove all the way home. I decided to disconnect my subs and take off the whole thing so i can get a better look in their. Turns out theirs a white box in the back their so i take it go back to sears. They put it on the lift take off the tire and then they say we cant plug it its too close to the wall of the tire. This was not good. I decided to have them put a new tire on i asked if they had the same one. He looked it up the price on it was 150!!! 150 bucks for the same tire. He explained to me that the other 3 tires on my car are some kind of v series or something and that if you put something cheaper on you will feel a difference. It has something to do with the size of the drywall and the top speed of our car. Did i get raped on a new tire cause for that price its crazy imagine when im gonna need all 4 tires replaced!!!

ooo and i forgot one of the mechanic guys asked me if my car was a ford he must of been thinking the focus that got me really pissed

dofu
01-29-2004, 07:55 PM
im no expert or anything... but i think you got raped... i'd never buy tires from someone talkin like that. $150, were they z rated? or were they same as stocks? those stock tires are actually pretty pricey. well, it shouldnt matter what rating as long as front matches front, and rear matches rear... ideally, you wanna change 2 tires at a time to keep the treadwear the same. but he wasnt lyin bout the sidewall thing... if a hole is too close, they cant repair it. they could patch it, but it wouldnt really work.
btw... if they were askin for 150 a tire, i would have just bought something better like dunlops... 500 all the way around for 15's...

03SiBlack
01-29-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by dofu
im no expert or anything... but i think you got raped... i'd never buy tires from someone talkin like that. $150, were they z rated? or were they same as stocks? those stock tires are actually pretty pricey. well, it shouldnt matter what rating as long as front matches front, and rear matches rear... ideally, you wanna change 2 tires at a time to keep the treadwear the same. but he wasnt lyin bout the sidewall thing... if a hole is too close, they cant repair it. they could patch it, but it wouldnt really work.
btw... if they were askin for 150 a tire, i would have just bought something better like dunlops... 500 all the way around for 15's...
they put the same exact one on as the others

k20hatch
01-29-2004, 08:20 PM
Whoa i pay 210 plus shipping which is like 250 for 2 18 inch 40 series tires!

foilpan
01-29-2004, 08:28 PM
hit the nearest 24 hour walmart and pick up a tire plug kit. they're like $3, tops.

done and done.

you got booty-banged, son.

:(

DownTheHatch
01-29-2004, 08:33 PM
I havn't seen the damage, but they may have just wanted to sell you a new tire. I would have plugged it myself.

03SiBlack
01-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by foilpan
hit the nearest 24 hour walmart and pick up a tire plug kit. they're like $3, tops.

done and done.

you got booty-banged, son.

:(
it couldnt be plugged 2 close to side wall

DyNastySi
01-29-2004, 08:34 PM
I sell tires at pep boys. Im not an expert or anything. I juss sell them. Supposedly tho, if you have two tires in the front that are the same and two tires in the back that are different the car would handle differently. Like, if you were going around a corner, the two tires in the front would want to pull or perform one way and the two in the back would want to go in another way. Thats what I tell the customers comming off of experience. I had two Dunlops and two Pirelli(spelling). Def. noticed a difference comming around the corner. I think you would notice the difference more if you were on directional tires more than your normal every day passenger tire. Am I making any sense here? Maybe someone with more knowledge can add in to this.

pappaljf
01-29-2004, 09:01 PM
Same Crap Happened to Me, TWICE! I had two flats on two different tires with the damage near the sidewall over the span of 2-3 months

I'm assuming your on stock rims/tires?

Stock Michelins are WAYYYYY too expensive for what they are. I can only assume that since they're an oem tire on a lot of Hondas, tire places can get away with charging more. I had the whole song and dance about cheaper tires not being the way to go too.

Many places won't even put on a tire that doesn't match the speed rating (*ahem* cost *ahem*) of your other tires.

My Suggestion: Buy a tire on the internet, or get the cheapest one you can find retail. Pick out a cool set of replacement rims/tires. Then SELL YOUR STOCK RIMS/TIRES ON EBAY! You can get like $500 bucks.

I mean jesus, My YOKO AVS ES100s retail for less than shitty michelin energy vx4's!

dofu
01-29-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by k20hatch
Whoa i pay 210 plus shipping which is like 250 for 2 18 inch 40 series tires!

they aint the best, but i paid $95 each for 2 no name 215/35zr18 lol. something like $560 for dunlop sp8000 205/55zr15 all the way around.

dtexan
01-29-2004, 09:06 PM
So were you able to sit down after that :confused:

Kis4KEN
01-29-2004, 09:44 PM
i paid 270 for 4 tires... nittos 215/35/18

they really bent you over

Siman
01-29-2004, 10:14 PM
they raped you, purely raped you....to mention it, i had a hole in my old 17" sumitomo sumthin tires and Sears quoted me 160 bucks for a new one they had in stock.....i had already searched and found them on the net for 83 bucks a pop.....yes they can rape you if you dont have the internet:D

DumbNewB
01-29-2004, 10:19 PM
Well funny thing is the same thing happened to me today, when i took my car in to get an oil change and some other stuff. They showed me one tire that was pretty worn down and tried to sell me four good year tires for like 160 each!:yellm: But luckily i can revert back to stock until i get what im looking for

halos02Si
01-29-2004, 10:28 PM
i work at sears but i dont buy any tires from sears because they are way to expensive. i didnt want to replace just one tire because i have a thing about replacing just one side so i wanted to get 2. i was actually looking into the same ones as our stock tires but a newer version. I think they were Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus. I think it would have been like close to 300 from them, but I ended up getting them from some place on the internet for like a little over 200. Thank god I didn't go with the place I work for :D

chubbychu
01-29-2004, 11:38 PM
try some kumho ecsta kh11...they seem good

whoflungpoo
01-30-2004, 12:01 AM
I used to work at sears and i can tell u that what he told you about the puncture being to close to the sidewall is probably true. sears uses a patch and a plug combo, so it is harder to get to the edge of the tire and still make it seal. you did, however, get ripped off on the tire price. My suggestion would be to find the same tire as the other 3 for a much better price and to take back the tire you bought from them. if they give you any shit about it, just tell them that you don't like the way it feels on the road and they will take it back. sears does have a 30 day ride guarantee so take your time and find the tire that is of the same quality as oem and for a better price. just my 2 cents though.

C1V1C
01-30-2004, 12:49 AM
being too close to sidewall and cannot be fixed is true. At least you have to check it yourself, not just to trust them, so you will buy a new set.

I just got my alignment done last month and they told me that I need a new set of tires and they do not have Yoko in stock. They OPENED Tirerack brochure under the table and gave me a quote $50 more than Tirerack's price. That's 50% profit. CRAZY ....

So I told him that it was too much and now I have my fronts with good thread and rears being almost bald. It drives ok, but not during snow ... I drive like a grandma during snow... :)

#1 DO NOT TRUST ANYONE, EXCEPT YOUR PARENTS :) IT all comes down to MONEY.
#2 If you are not sure, CHECK again in a few places or ask people who had it before. LIKE US ... :)
#3 Go back and talk to the SEARS guy, tell him to get a different job. :)

No offense to the guy who worked for SEARS before .. heheheh :cool: and sorry for the CAPS :)

Good night, I am hitting the sack now.

Mezri
01-30-2004, 05:33 AM
Just an FYI for all you guys looking for tires....

If you have an NTB store in your town, do this. Look online for the lowest price you can find. Make sure the brand is something NTB carries (HINT: NTB just started carrying Kuhmos). Make sure you find the best price including shipping (HINT #2: wheelguyz.com has kuhmos cheap and free shipping). Go to NTB and ask if they can get the size you want. When they tell you the price, ask them, "Dont yall match prices from the internet?" When they say yes, tell them the price you found, and the site name, and they will match it. Usually no questions asked.

Kuhmo 205/40-17 Original quoted NTB price $138 per tire. Price after matching internet...$61. Add in 29 per for road hazard, and I had a brand new set, with full road hazard, and lifetime balance and rotate for under $380.

Enjoy.

styllinep3
01-30-2004, 05:36 AM
you got ripped cause you went to sears, they suck man. there prices are like 50 bucks higher then anywhere else. sorry had to happen to you, but i eat it once there and sounds like a couple others have too . sears is the place for tools not tires . ;)

STP03BlueSI
01-30-2004, 06:05 AM
Yep You got RAPED. I work for a car dealership and our tires arnt even that much!!:eek:

dofu
01-30-2004, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Kis4KEN
i paid 270 for 4 tires... nittos 215/35/18

they really bent you over

damn... where? balanced and mounted too? btw... what is NTB?

foilpan
01-30-2004, 06:57 AM
isn't NTB owned by sears? i'm pretty sure they bought that chain. you'd think sears would price match if NTB does.

Spazhead
01-30-2004, 07:05 AM
They didn't rape you, they gave you a quote and you said "YES". You could have drove away and went somewhere else, or put the spare on and waited til the next day to find something cheaper. Why bad mouth a shop when they did everything by the book. Yes michelins are over price, but they told you the price and you agreed to it. Getting raped is if they inflated the price after the install or gave you a used tire for a new tire price. IMO!! :mad:

AkronSi
01-30-2004, 07:41 AM
I agree with Spazhead. I blew one of my tires taking an offramp one day. I about shit my pants when I started getting quotes for the stock tires. I went with two new Kuhmo KH11s. They were way cheaper.

As a consumer, it's your job to decide what's a good value. I decided that the stock tires weren't a good value, so I went with something else. I also called around and found the best prices. Sure, it takes time, but it can save you a ton of money.

I'll have to remember Mezri's hint about NTB.

You chould actually consider yourself lucky that they didn't sell you TWO new tires. In addition to shops refusing to mix speed ratings. I've also discovered that they don't want to put tires of different wear on the car.

03silverEP
01-30-2004, 11:26 AM
the only place to buy tires www.TIRERACK..com

they are soooo much cheaper than you will ever find at a tire shop, from time of order (if before noon) you'll have your tires in 48 hours c/o the ups man.

example 4 215 45 17 yoko es 100 $430 del.

at NTB " " $750 ----> f-that!

some places will try to ream you on mounting and balancing, find a good shop that will do it, fyi if you're a costco member they do it for $9 a tire

i'm rambling, but just trying to save you guys money $$ for mods :)

blueiedgod
01-30-2004, 11:43 AM
No, you did not get raped, it was CONCENTUAL, you agreed to being violated. I have to say something nice about tirerack too. I ordered Yokohamas Avid T4's for my CR-V on like tuesday morning, the fedex guy brought them to me on thursday morning, took them to costco. At costco you get lifetime rotation and balancing even if you don't buy tires there. All together it cost me about $240, that included tires, shipping, and installation at costco.

Concentual is the key word :D

03SiBlack
01-30-2004, 01:17 PM
their wasnt an option to wait for shipping it had to be done that night so it was the only thing i could do i had midterms the next morning so it had to be fixed...

03EP3SiHB
01-30-2004, 01:37 PM
From now on you should carry a tube of some KY JELLY, and learn how to grab your ankles and hold on really good...... You have a spare tire, even if it is a donut it is better then getting R A P E D in the ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel sorry for you, wtf am I thinking?!?!?!? I actually don't feel bad, better luck next time, REMEMBER THERE IS A REASON TO THOSE LITTLE ASS SPARE WHEELS THAT FIT IN YOUR TRUNK.......................................:) ;) :eek: :( :o :'( :mad:

styllinep3
01-30-2004, 03:26 PM
whalentires.com blows the doors off tirerack.com for prices.

03SiBlack
01-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by 03EP3SiHB
From now on you should carry a tube of some KY JELLY, and learn how to grab your ankles and hold on really good...... You have a spare tire, even if it is a donut it is better then getting R A P E D in the ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel sorry for you, wtf am I thinking?!?!?!? I actually don't feel bad, better luck next time, REMEMBER THERE IS A REASON TO THOSE LITTLE ASS SPARE WHEELS THAT FIT IN YOUR TRUNK.......................................:) ;) :eek: :( :o :'( :mad:
alright bro i dont know what the fuck your problem is i posted this up so people dont make the same mistake i did but i wasnt about to ride on a spare tomorrow and take any chances. Its not necessary to make me feel more of a dick of the money i just threw away

Yoda~SI
01-31-2004, 06:39 AM
Ouch !!!

You are in NY, If you ever come up to Boston, I got 3 Stock Tires 2200 Miles on them perfect, $100 For All three, if yoou need only one I will give it to you free or any one else Local who needs one in jam can have one for free., Hell If if someone wants to pay shipping I will ship it

Just PM me