PDA

View Full Version : Venom Recluse N2O Kit!

Vierge99
01-29-2004, 11:25 PM
Well since my XMas money plans went a little different then planned I'm thinking about buying this small Venom N2O kit. Blaaaaaaaahhhh!!!

Vierge99
01-30-2004, 01:39 AM
Okay after some quick reading/research of nitrous kits, how they work, and what's available... I've decided that the Recluse kit isn't sophisticated or powerful enough for my needs. So I'm going with a Zex dry kit. They run about $600. Not bad for a 50+ HP gain. Yeah you gotta fill up the bottle but it's a 10lb. bottle and the system ONLY activates at wide open throttle. They say that with the average street race lasting 15 seconds or less that you could use it a couple dozen times before resupplying the N2O.

Also for a mean look I'm going to get some gauge pods installed to measure the engine operation. It will make people afraid.... lol. Yeah right. Oh well. Pics soon! ;)

bc2k20a3
01-30-2004, 01:53 AM
you have to use a wet kit.

Vierge99
01-30-2004, 02:03 AM
I won't even play around. I know nothing about Nitrous kits except what I've read from howstuffworks.com. And from what I've read in a few magazines. I'm not exactly sure why I would need a wet kit but if I need one then that's no big deal. It's only $50 more then the dry kit from Zex. Could you enlighten me as to why I would need a wet kit? I'm genuinely curious and I'm not being an @ss. The more info I can get the better. :D

bc2k20a3
01-30-2004, 02:50 AM
we have no return fuel line.a dry kit uses this in its setup.i'm not to knowledgable about dry kits but i can tell you about a wet kit since thats what i run.

Vierge99
01-30-2004, 02:13 PM
I've read the sticky on clubrsx.com about nitrous and I'm having trouble deciding wether this setup is safe enough or not. I'm in Northern Cali and in the Summer it gets to be about 110 F here. Not safe for N2O bottles in the trunk so I've heard. Also, I want the smallest shot available since I'm not after monster power. But I'm still debating because I don't know how to use N2O (actual driving with it) I've read about it and it still seems unclear.

This is what I've gathered about how to use it.

1. Open the bottle
2. Arm the switch
3. Mash on the gas
4. N2O comes on at WOT
5. 15-20 seconds later you remove your foot from WOT so your engine doesn't blow up

Is that correct? Should I NOT use it in any particular gear?

Thanks for your help.

BTW, what kit do you have?

DynaSpeed
01-30-2004, 02:46 PM
For the sake of your car, I'm gonna try and point you in the right direction.

1) You WILL blow your car up with a DRY kit.

2) Get the NX (Nitrous Express) wet kit. It's pretty much idiot-proof at low jetting, and works fantastic with K-series motors. And it's only about $600 for a full kit with nothing else to buy. Even comes with a WOT switch, which your obviously interested in.

3) You can have a bottle in ridiculous ambient temps... 110 is nothing. It'll just give you a little more pressure. Just don't forget an "in-car" pressure gauge, and monitor it before you spray. You want between 950-1200 for decent performance. I've had my gauge totally buried before - Prolly 2500 psi, no big deal, there was so much pressure that the solenoids wouldn't function. The bottle comes with a "Burst Disk", so you don't have to worry about anything - The stock NX burst disk bursts at 3000 psi.

4) You can use nitrous in any gear that'll grab.

5) If this is, in fact, not your car, and your dad is paying for it, don't install nitrous without his authorization.

Vierge99
01-30-2004, 06:14 PM
I've learned already that I need a wet kit. The reason I want the Zex kit is because the WOT device is a cpu that taps into your ecu. It's not a mechanical switch under the pedal that can break or shift around.

The car is mine. I'm 23, in the Air Force, and I bought the car in cash. I can mod it as I please :p lol. Sorry just letting you know that this car isn't mommy and daddy's gift to me. It's a gift to myself after working hard for it.

What is the difference in quality of kits between Zex and NX?

trk
01-31-2004, 07:55 AM
So NX or ZEX?

The ZEX one seems better to me via all the Nitrous buyer guides I've read in the mags lately...

2k2ep
02-01-2004, 01:01 PM
Personally I would not use anything but a NX or NOS brand. If you intend to use anything bigger than a 50shot I'd suggest running direct port for safety. You can get a fuel rail or noszles from NOS that go in front of the injector to ease installation. The n20 companys suggest running no more than 20hp per cylinder on stock setups. And you probably should not spray in 1st because of mad wheel spin, and 5th because it tends to be the weakest gear. Besides after 110mph in our cars is not needed for 1/4 unless you start running 11's lol.

Vertigo
02-01-2004, 11:55 PM
N/X is the best in the business today. But that's my opinion. There installation instructions are idiot proof. There products are top-notch quailty. The Zex kit differs because of the all-in-one box. I can't say anything bad about the ZEX, because i have not owned one.

DynaSpeed
02-02-2004, 07:09 AM
I feel much better and safer with the mechanical NX WOT switch (NOS uses the same), instead of an electronic WOT switch. Mechanical switches are much less prone to fail. Just bolt it to the throttle body and never worry about it again.

And NX stuff is guaranteed for life (solenoids, switches, bottle, etc.) for life, no questions asked. And if you're still on the fence, take a look at the difference of the NX noid to the NOS, or Zex noid.... They're about twice as robust.

I can mod it as I please lol. Sorry just letting you know that this car isn't mommy and daddy's gift to me. It's a gift to myself after working hard for it.

I didn't mean to sound like an ass... Lately, I've just seen and heard a lot of funny stuff about modding (and blowing up) daddy's car. :)

oldskool
02-04-2004, 05:40 AM
most of the sport compact nitrous kits are 50-75hp which will be fine for a stock k-series motor. dry kits are fine too, the only time a wet kit is required is when you have forced induction, ie turbocharger. forced induction motors tend to like N2O because it cools the intake charge.

2k2ep
02-04-2004, 11:22 AM
WHOA, hold on there noob you NEVER want to run dry kits on our K series motors NEVER! Only wet or direct port kits NOTHING else. But if you do run a dry kit, film it and let everyone watch what happens! hehehe

Vertigo
02-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Yup! I'd love to see how your going to get the extra fuel when spraying. Please enlighten us all. Like 2k2ep said, please film it.

Kisada
02-04-2004, 01:24 PM
So after all the threads best to go with is WET NX or NOS with Direct Port? if i am running a 50 shot will it hurt my motor at all stock 02 civic Si with 8700 miles. let me know please im really considering this.

sniperSI
02-04-2004, 01:42 PM
Yeah it's all about the wet kit. You can use a dry kit as long as you don't go nuts 45 50 shot i've heard of people using dry, but like i said i've HEARD, never really seen.

Kisada
02-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Will a small shot say 50-70 do harm to my motor at all?? some people say it actuall cleans ur motor some others say it weakens it. i want my car to last me some time, i just bought it.

2k2ep
02-04-2004, 04:20 PM
Dude you can use a WET kit for up to a 75. I suggest using a direct port on the 75 and up for safety. Think about it a wet system n20 and fuel fills the intake manifold. Its pulled in unevenly because the intake is made for air not fuel, Ever notice how on old carberated car the ports on the intake are equal legnth? Thats why because they are designed for fuel too. Direct port is sprayed in by the valve like an injector that way the nitrous is pulled in evenly by the cylinders and lots less explosives fill the intake manifold reducing the risk of fireworks in case of an intake backfire. I doubt that n20 cleans the engine in any way. Any hp adder will cause a reduction in longevity with the exeption of stuff like i/h/e as these (adders) are just freeing up power that is already being made.

WarmPepsi
02-04-2004, 06:18 PM
ok, if you have any questions about anything you read on c-rsx, ask it over there ;)

But hopefully, i can help out a little over here too.

You need a wet kit. Nx + Nos are basically the same kit. You do need a WOT switch, as it is only safe to spray at wot.

125 has been done on stock plugs, stock internals, no issues. However, no one said it'd last forever. With using it every so often, you won't experience much extra wear at all from a 50 - 75 shot (wet). A big concern with nitrous is heat. When you pour all that extra gas in there, and run it, things get hot. This is why there is a 15 second limit on spraying (rule of thumb). Anything more, and you're quite possibly gonna start melting internals.

As far as cleaning? well, you're putting more gas + more air into the engine, so yes, it's gonna burn hotter, and hotter = cleaner.

Direct port is not needed for anything 100 or below. 125 is even fine with a single wet fogger. However, some people crave the DP setup, and while it is "safer" when properly installed, you have 4x the jets to clog + change and deal with. A single fogger just hooks into your intake, and you're set.

Nx stuff guarenteed for life? Thats news to me, i'd love to hear where that came from. I got some parts i could use replaced :D

-pepsi

edit: again, all of this has been done on the type=s engine. keep that in mind when making decisions.

Vertigo
02-04-2004, 10:56 PM
Nice post Warm Pepsi! Nitrous doesn't kill engines, Stupid people that use nitrous incorrectly does! Most people that run nitrous only use it in racing situations or purge half the bottle to look cool. To some people nitrous can be addictive. That can get you in trouble. It's what i call "trigger happy". Say a guy is running a 75 shot. He's fine for a while, but it gets old and he wants more power. So what does he do? Up's the jet sizing. It might run well for a few times but eventuially it will destroy the engine. 20 hp per hole is a good limit for a stock internal engine. With more nitrous comes upgrading the pistons, rods, fuel system and ignition system. Ever heard the old saying "If you want to play, you gotta pay"? If you want i can explain why dry kits will not work properly on our cars. Just ask.

WarmPepsi
02-05-2004, 04:46 AM
http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif

we're all k-series people, and someone asked me what the site was for the new si, so i decided to shoot over here and see if there was anything i could answer. I forgot i'd even already registered :D

heh, i'm not the most knowledgeable with dry either, only know what i've run, wet.

a bit of flaming in this post, but a fairly good "owning" post about why you don't use dry ;)

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=107117

oldskool
02-05-2004, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Vertigo
Yup! I'd love to see how your going to get the extra fuel when spraying. Please enlighten us all. Like 2k2ep said, please film it.

really, you need more fuel? i would have never thought of that. well there are two ways, apply more pressure to the injectors by applying nitrous from the solenoid when activated or increase the amount of time the injector is on. always check for your specific application when ordering a dry kit, b/c if not having a return line will make us unable to increase press. to the injectors (if anyone knows the answer to this question i would like to know, thanks) or not being able to trick the ecu into making the injector pulse longer, you will obviously not be able to run a dry kit b/c you need extra fuel. i havent inquired about dry kits for the civic si so i dont know if there are any out there that would work. and there is a limit to how much extra fuel you can run with those two methods. which is why they are limited to such a low hp setting.

oldskool
02-05-2004, 06:36 AM
oh, one more thing, running a wet system on an intake manifold designed for air only (unless you have forced induction or are using a dp sys.) you run the risk of creating fuel puddles in the manifold and backfiring. sorry for the sarcasim in my previous post

2k2ep
02-05-2004, 04:58 PM
Now I wonder how long the motor lasts making weekend passes at the dragstrip? Especally with stock plugs and a basic wet kit at 125 shot! I'd guess either you never have done this to your car or you will be one of those lucky n20 users everyone hears horrible stories about.

WarmPepsi
02-05-2004, 05:11 PM
me? I never said I was the one running it. I'm simply playin with a 50 and 75.

Feel free to browse on over to clubrsx, and take a look at some of the threads. Hell, Az, owning a base auto, put a 125 shot on it... it did no damage unless he got burnout happy and turned down his window switch.

Nitrous in the K series doesn't do anywhere near the damage that you're thinking. The only causes of failure have been user error. (spraying too long, in too high of gear, spraying at too low of rpm, selenoid failure).

And don't go and say that it was only a bottle or two, these guys have gone thru dozens with no issues.

2k2ep
02-05-2004, 06:16 PM
All I'm trying to emphasize is that nobody should run 125shot on an all stock motor. You talked about running a 125 like it was it was a walk in the park. Its not safe for anyone to run the setup you described. Espically not a noob to the stuff.

WarmPepsi
02-05-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by 2k2ep
All I'm trying to emphasize is that nobody should run 125shot on an all stock motor. You talked about running a 125 like it was it was a walk in the park. Its not safe for anyone to run the setup you described. Espically not a noob to the stuff.

oh, i totally agree, but the fact did remain, it was done with no timing retard, no nothin. more balls than i have :D

same goes with hondata + n2o. with progressive controllers, it has been done, however, nothing i wanna play with

trk
02-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by WarmPepsi
oh, i totally agree, but the fact did remain, it was done with no timing retard, no nothin. more balls than i have :D

same goes with hondata + n2o. with progressive controllers, it has been done, however, nothing i wanna play with

I spent a long time researching nitrous last year even though I had the hondata flash. While it's true that hondata and n20 can play well together, it's not entirely proven for how long or in exactly what manner.

Doug (from hondata) put a 70 shot in NUGs ep... NUG had the original n/a hondata flash and it worked fine... I think they even accidentally sprayed it once without the "jet" nozzle even installed and had no problems. This is on dyno and on the track from my understading.

Anyway, me being a "noob" to nitrous and having hondata ... ive been wary to do it. The ZEX kit with the controller/mixer box all in one looks fairly safe. The kit that was installed in NUGs ep was the Edelbrock direct port.

Take it for what its worth.

WarmPepsi
02-05-2004, 07:19 PM
yeah, we had a guy go though it after he got hondata ( already had a Nos DP setup) i called him nuts, but alas, he had it workin just fine, but nothin i'd ever do...

my system is just for fun when i wanna go. :cool:

great hearin from some other people though, you can only explain how switches and relays and pills work so many times before you're just repeating yourself :D

RSX_Factor
02-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by WarmPepsi

my system is just for fun when i wanna go. :cool:
great hearin from some other people though, you can only explain how switches and relays and pills work so many times before you're just repeating yourself :D

Same here, I like seeing the occasional mustang owner cry.:D

Good to see a familiar 'face'.

PS
How does that pill thingy work again???

WarmPepsi
02-06-2004, 02:40 PM
pill? you mean the rpm switch? just another conditional that must be correct for me to spray ( can't spray below 4k, or above 7700.)

so if my wot sensor were to stick....... i wouldn't kill my engine ;)

RSX_Factor
02-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Hahahaha, just messing with you.
Got my window switch in Friday.
I'm hoping to find someone who can sell me just two pills out of their set.

***Anyone wanting to sell single pills pm me. I'm looking for 3,500-3,700(maybe lower) and a 7,700 - 8,000 pill.