PDA

View Full Version : Those of you in hot states....

ssvr6
09-26-2002, 11:16 AM
Does the AC just utterly kill performance? It's so bad for me that I'd rather be soaked in sweat than deal with the HORRIBLE loss of power.

Anyone else?

Steve

Burgh
09-26-2002, 11:20 AM
Well, here in L.A. if you're driving it means 95% of the time you're sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic. A/C - good, power - not used except for 5% of the time.

SBC31
09-26-2002, 12:22 PM
Up herem where I live, it's been extemely hot all summer so I use the A/C all the time. I have never really noticed much difference with the A/C on, which is another great thing about the 02 SiR.

esmith13
09-26-2002, 12:35 PM
The NA Si *SUCKS* with the A/C on!!!

I would rather sweat to death than be put-putting around with the A/C!!!

... This is the biggest downside to most 4-cyl. engines...

Makes me long for my '78 Grand Marquis and her 351 modified engine.....
...Ah, the good 'ol days.....:)

CleanBlackSi02
09-26-2002, 01:00 PM
I feel ya Steve. I notice a huge difference with the AC on....and that combined with daytime heat. Sloooow. Now on cool dry nights with the AC off.... :D

sniperSI
09-26-2002, 01:45 PM
I use my ac as a turbo boost lol. If i'm using it and racing i click the ac off and leave them in the dust...

hahahaha

so yes it does effect the 'formance greatly.

sonic imperial
09-26-2002, 01:59 PM
I turn my A/C off everytime I come to a stoplight so I can take off a little quicker. Once up to speed I hit the button to turn it back on. The V6 Accord I owned lost ALOT of power too when the A/C was on. Something about honda's I guess. You also hear a loud click when the compresser cuts on and that's when you feel the surge in power.

IceD out N CALI
09-26-2002, 04:35 PM
it is still a 4 banger, and the A/C does make a noticable difference in performance.

ArcticBlueRsx
09-26-2002, 04:43 PM
my car is slow as faulk w/ the AC on....i always get beat off the line at stoplights n stuff...

natesi
09-26-2002, 05:13 PM
You'll notice it with any car. I don't think my 02 Si is especially bad.

My 02 ZX3 (which i no longer have) was horrible! I mean, I had to floor the thing just to keep up with traffic--like I was racing it! But my Si drives almost the same, around town that is.

ArcticBlueRsx
09-26-2002, 05:46 PM
well in my moms S500 it seems fine w/ the AC on...i think our cars are slower w/ the ac on cuz we practically have only like 10lbs of torque...

VegasEP
09-26-2002, 05:59 PM
I am so glad that this thread was started. For the past couple of weeks, I really thought there was something wrong with my car. When I had my 4 Door EX, I did'nt care beacause the car wasn't that fast anyway. But on the Si, It's like night and day. And I live in Vegas with 100 Degree summer/autumns. So I guess I'll feel more confident on those spirited nighttime drives. My dad's V6 Altima doesn't skip a beat when the AC is blasting. Is it just a four-cylinder thing? Talk to you guys later.

Chris

JSIR
09-26-2002, 06:19 PM
you know I have been really pleased with the power of this car with the AC on, compared to other cars I have had. I can still launch really well and keep up with most other vehicles pretty easily. The loss of power doesn't seem too bad IMO, I know it exists, but doesn't feel to bad to me. My 99 SiR was much worse.

MikeR1
09-26-2002, 07:10 PM
My SVT does quite well with the AC on here in florida. The torque is pretty good down low and if I need more the full throttle switch kills the AC.