PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Injector cleaner

Ocelot
01-30-2004, 02:15 PM
does anyone use this? I have used Prolong with other cars.

There is Penzoil's "Gumout" (or something like that), STP, and others. Some are Fuel Injector cleaners, and some are Fuel System cleaners. STP's is like $2.99 for the injector cleaner, and $7.99 for the fuel system cleaner. Then on the other hand, the "Gumout" is $2.99 for the injector cleaner and $3.99 for the fuel system cleaner (why it's so much less than STP's I don't know)

anyways, what do you all use, if any.

chet
01-30-2004, 02:31 PM
My mechanic and friend told me never to use that stuff. ANything that may act like or be called a "detergent" or cleaner is very bad for your car. It gels in the fuel just like you would imagine detergent would do. . .And eventually clogs them. I personally would not recommend it.

Graywolf
01-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Yeah, if you need injectors cleaned, have the dealer do it, or take it to jiffy lube (maybe take it to acura, because V-Honda service sucks)

Ocelot
01-30-2004, 03:01 PM
yeah, I got a weird vibe from that Honda. the people at our Acura seem more personable.

thanks for the heads up, guys.

dtexan
01-30-2004, 03:12 PM
I've had really good luck in the past with Synergyn fuel injector cleaner. I put it in my girlfriends old rodeo and the gas mileage went up like crazy and the car ran a lot better. I highly recommend it you shouldnt need to clean them for a while though. How many miles are on the car?

styllinep3
01-30-2004, 03:24 PM
i like the lucas . it also lubes the cylinder heads as well as cleans your injectors, plus its only like 3 bucks

Ocelot
01-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by dtexan
I've had really good luck in the past with Synergyn fuel injector cleaner. I put it in my girlfriends old rodeo and the gas mileage went up like crazy and the car ran a lot better. I highly recommend it you shouldnt need to clean them for a while though. How many miles are on the car?

11K, but the above posts have put me off using these ever again. (I haven't in this car) I'll just get them cleaned at 30 or 60 or whenever.

DyNastySi
01-30-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by styllinep3
i like the lucas . it also lubes the cylinder heads as well as cleans your injectors, plus its only like 3 bucks

So you like the lucas stuff also...good deal. Have you tried the trans fluid yet? Im thinking about putting some in to see if it helps with the grinding.

styllinep3
01-31-2004, 08:51 PM
yea all of lucas products rock. i run there oil treatment too. i used the tranny lube on my other car. a 94 cavalier auto with a 160,000 on it and it works wonders for the tranny in that. i havent tried it on the ep yet. i think im gonna try royal purple for the eps tranny.:D

Lynx
02-01-2004, 02:13 AM
When you take it to a dealer for a quicky, they pretty much use the same thing. It doesnt just clean the injectors, it also cleans off carbon deposits on the valves, valve seats and pistons. When carbon builds up, it creates a hot spot causing pre detonation.

styllinep3
02-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Lynx
When you take it to a dealer for a quicky, they pretty much use the same thing. It doesnt just clean the injectors, it also cleans off carbon deposits on the valves, valve seats and pistons. When carbon builds up, it creates a hot spot causing pre detonation.

right the lucas's does that to. it also lubes all the cylinder heads. i see your point but, but 3$ compared to 50$ for all most the same thing is a big deal to me u know.

besides if you run 92 octane there shouldnt be alot of build up right? the lower grade gas doesnt burn as clean right? im asking thanks

Lynx
02-01-2004, 03:26 PM
i see your point but, but 3$ compared to 50$ for all most the same thing is a big deal to me u know

No, dont get me wrong. I was agreeing with you. I made that statement for the guys that first posted saying that its bad idea to use that kinda of thing. I use the STP crap once a year.

31102si
02-01-2004, 06:39 PM
I thought somewhere in the manuel it says not to use any oil or fuel cleaners :confused: I have used the redline fuel cleaner in past cars. That stuff seems to work good. I have also heard the lucas stuff is really good.

styllinep3
02-01-2004, 07:28 PM
No, dont get me wrong. I was agreeing with you. I made that statement for the guys that first posted saying that its bad idea to use that kinda of thing. I use the STP crap once a year.

no i agree with u not arguing. lol:D

chet
02-02-2004, 04:53 AM

I understand its not always economical to go pay the $50 to get this done. Basically, what happens in the cleaner ends up "gelling" in the fuel pump and will eventually clog it. It also depends on the quality I'm sure. But I definitely trust my friend who told me not to use the stuff. He's swapped out more than a few fuel pumps and plenty of injectors that were nearly completely clogged due to the owner using cleaners w/in the fuel line.

styllinep3
02-02-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by chet
I understand its not always economical to go pay the $50 to get this done. Basically, what happens in the cleaner ends up "gelling" in the fuel pump and will eventually clog it. It also depends on the quality I'm sure. But I definitely trust my friend who told me not to use the stuff. He's swapped out more than a few fuel pumps and plenty of injectors that were nearly completely clogged due to the owner using cleaners w/in the fuel line. .

lets think about this. if the cleaners did this. how the hell could they be sold as a fuel injection cleaner. that just doesnt make sense to me. if they did this. there wouldnt be 40 types of cleaner to choose from. this might happen if you put one in on a 1/4 tank of gas, but not if you mix it right. i just cant see it. sorry

rgGolf4
02-02-2004, 08:56 AM
I've been using Lucas products on all my cars. Never had a problem using their products. Their stuff works wonders on older cars.

chet
02-02-2004, 10:21 AM

lets think about this. if the cleaners did this. how the hell could they be sold as a fuel injection cleaner. that just doesnt make sense to me. if they did this. there wouldnt be 40 types of cleaner to choose from. this might happen if you put one in on a 1/4 tank of gas, but not if you mix it right. i just cant see it. sorry

Do you really think everyone sells you a product because theycare about your car? Or do you think its possible that someone could sell a cheaply made cleaner that has some qualities that are just like detergents? I would trust a guy who has been working on domestic and foreign cars for the better part of 20 years. I'm sure there are some products out there that work great--example Lucas. So I'm not saying, at all, that you're wrong. But I've seen some of the shit he's pulled from a car that had 2 or 3 bottles a year for a couple years. .. . It didn't look like any lubricants I would want in my fuel line. Personally, I'm glad this thread was started. I wanted a different option myself (as far as going to have the injectors professionally cleaned or to put some cheap shit in my car).

Lynx
02-03-2004, 12:21 AM
Well if the manual says not to use it then I wouldnt. But as far as gelling up in the fuel pump, I think that water in the gas tank would cause this problem more than the injector cleaner. Too many people leave there gas tanks near empty when it gets cold. And as far as detergents go... You already put detergents in your gas tank every time you fill up. Yes, gas has detergent in it too.

styllinep3
02-03-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by chet
Do you really think everyone sells you a product because theycare about your car? Or do you think its possible that someone could sell a cheaply made cleaner that has some qualities that are just like detergents? I would trust a guy who has been working on domestic and foreign cars for the better part of 20 years. I'm sure there are some products out there that work great--example Lucas. So I'm not saying, at all, that you're wrong. But I've seen some of the shit he's pulled from a car that had 2 or 3 bottles a year for a couple years. .. . It didn't look like any lubricants I would want in my fuel line. Personally, I'm glad this thread was started. I wanted a different option myself (as far as going to have the injectors professionally cleaned or to put some cheap shit in my car).

lucas is promoted by racing teams. do u think they would use it, if it messed up your car? ive used these on my cars last 3 cars and never had a problem. so i guess its a matter of opinion.

oh and manual says that so u bring it back to honda for service. it also says not to put any after market parts, or modify anything on you car. how many of us listen to that?

styllinep3
02-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by rgGolf4
I've been using Lucas products on all my cars. Never had a problem using their products. Their stuff works wonders on older cars.

and yes it does.

chet
02-03-2004, 03:18 PM
and yes it does.

If you reread my last post there, I was agreeing w/you about the LUcas products. I did a little research. I will still holdfast and not put any of the cheaper products in my car.

The reason I said what I did about people selling you a cheap product is because the majority of the time, its true. I'm a little tired of arguing about this. I was merely passing on good info I had gotten from a friend. If people want to put detergents in their car, by all meansTidey up boy , otherwise, I pay the extra $$ and make sure things are done properly.

Also to comment on the post about gasoline and detergents, there are some gas companies that use fewer and fewer detergents, and are generally making the fuel itself cleaner instead of adding detergents to it. The less crap in the fuel to start w/, the less there's going to be burning and floating into our atmosphere.

Eee Pee
02-03-2004, 04:23 PM
Think Lucas does what it claims?

Think again.

Let me show a link that will prove it...

Click me!!! (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm)

Surprised?
I cannot say all Lucas products don't do what they claim. I simply don't know.
But obviously, the Oil Stabilizer is not what it's cracked up to be.

For injector cleaners, if they don't have a lubricant in them, don't use them.
You can pour an amount into a glass test tube, or glass, and swirl it around.
If some of the product sticks to the glass, it has a lube in it.

chet
02-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Eee Pee
Think Lucas does what it claims?

Think again.

Let me show a link that will prove it...

Click me!!! (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm)

Surprised?
I cannot say all Lucas products don't do what they claim. I simply don't know.
But obviously, the Oil Stabilizer is not what it's cracked up to be.

For injector cleaners, if they don't have a lubricant in them, don't use them.
You can pour an amount into a glass test tube, or glass, and swirl it around.
If some of the product sticks to the glass, it has a lube in it.

Thanks for the info. You know, the whole false advertisement thing has been going on since the quack doctors of the 1800's traveling around and selling the "cure all" pill. Which was usually a sugar/aspirin mixture. It's all the same. . .Cure all pills, cigarettes, Lucas oil stablizer. People sell you shit because they know someone will buy it.

BTW, Bobtheoilguy is da shit!

87gn
02-03-2004, 08:15 PM
how in the world did a miss this thread before.

When you take it to a dealer for a quicky, they pretty much use the same thing.

actually, the dealers use one of two systems made by B.W. one has a pressurized bottle of cleaner. what we do is we disable the fuel pump(s) and set the regulator at 5 psi less then what your fuel pressure regulator is set at so that it dont dump the cleaner back in to the fuel tank. then we start the car and actually run it off of the fuel injector cleaner. after a few mins the car will die and you let it sit for a while before you enable the fuel pump and start the car.

theres two problems with this setup, the first one we encountered was that alot of the new cars and trucks have a higher fuel pressure then the 55 lb psi thats in the can. in other words a bottle of this stuff wont even start the car. the other problem is the "geling" that you all are talking about the fuel injector cleaner that we were useing was getting mixed with alittle of the remaining fuel in the fuel lines and causing this green "slime/goo" inside the regulator after it sets for a while. this happined 2 or 3 times but they gave us a new regulator each time on the last time the B.W. rep came down and told us about the gas they use nowadays is "oxynated" (sp) for emissions and its that oxygen thats causeing the reaction with the cleaner and making the green goo in our regulator.

we finally cut a deal with them and we baught the other system from them, it works in the same way but this one instead of useing compressed bottles of the cleaner we pour our own cleaner in to a tank and we use our shop air to force it in to the engine this gives us a 125 psi max instead of 55 psi opening us up to new vehicals that we can work on plus theres no risk of any of this goo buildup. in a quick sumup its like going from a spray can to a paint gun.

as for the bottle fuel injector cleaner, they do NOT work but they wont "clog" any thing up. the only additive that ive ever had "clog" was when i was running ethanol as a fuel additive (yes ive ran small amounts of moon shine in my car before trying to find a good octane booster) that stuff will cause a gel to form in your fuel filter. after a few experiments im now useing xylene or toulene with alittle M.M.O to "soften" the mixture so i wont ruin my fuel pumps. (in other words i make my own race gas by pouring paint thinner in my gas tank) plus the stuff will clean your injectors, my old ones were 17-18 years old and after all those years of buildup they looked practically new when i pulled them for the 009s ive got now.

Lynx
02-04-2004, 01:44 AM
actually, the dealers use one of two systems made by B.W. one has a pressurized bottle of cleaner. what we do is we disable the fuel pump(s) and set the regulator at 5 psi less then what your fuel pressure regulator is set at so that it dont dump the cleaner back in to the fuel tank. then we start the car and actually run it off of the fuel injector cleaner. after a few mins the car will die and you let it sit for a while before you enable the fuel pump and start the car.

Cool beans man, I knew they used something like that. Back in the day, shops used to use a kit that you would pull off a vacuum line off the intake manifold and stick in the bottle and it would suck it into the manifold. The other bottle you would dump in the tank.

dofu
02-04-2004, 01:51 AM
i've been using prolong for all my cars since i found out about it... works really nice... when i have to buy the entire package, i'll use the entire package for the hell of it... doesnt seem to be doin any bad...
i've heard that 76 gas is suppose to have some chemicals in it that helps clean your fuel system... is that true?