PDA

View Full Version : Turbo

dobiejoe
01-30-2004, 04:40 PM
I want to do this turbo mod within the next couple of weeks and want your alls expert opinion what you like better and why.

Peking
01-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Hey bud, we have a Boost section. Should answer most of your questions there. Also the doing a search would help to. My honest thought is that for the money and what you would be getting. Revhard or Cybernation. Pretty much complete kits, while the Greddy is lacking. Hence in the long run you will pay more for the Greddy, and have a greater chance of screwing something up. While Revhard and Cybernation sorta figure that stuff for you already.

Also it is easier to get more power (upgrade) out of a turbo set-up. If you just wanted alittle something, that you can live with than you cannot go wrong with the JRSC.

Low Rider
01-30-2004, 05:10 PM
I have had JR stuff on my Integra (before it was totalled) and I have to say that I have always been impressed with their workmanship and R&D!!! :D

DavidT
01-30-2004, 05:40 PM
Just to let you know, you can't just do a "12.5" boost upgrade. Your stock block will give way in less than 3000 miles. I wouldn't go boost, too much crap to go wrong. If you have enough money to get the JRSC, then you have enough money to do an all motor K20A2 swap. Then get your ECU reflashed by Hondata to your immobilizer with their #4 K20A2 program. Think about it...8600 RPMs of all motor fun.

Peking
01-30-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by DavidT
Just to let you know, you can't just do a "12.5" boost upgrade. Your stock block will give way in less than 3000 miles. I wouldn't go boost, too much crap to go wrong. If you have enough money to get the JRSC, then you have enough money to do an all motor K20A2 swap. Then get your ECU reflashed by Hondata to your immobilizer with their #4 K20A2 program. Think about it...8600 RPMs of all motor fun.

With the proper parts and tuned correctly, the block will last. Also keep in mind nothing lasts forever, just like a N/A set-up. Parts will have to be changed and well maintained. David has a great suggestion there, but also keep this in mind...

Originally posted by Peking
Depends, same could happen with N/A, N/X. So what does this mean, it all depends. Depends on what you buy, how you install, how you tune, etc. If you have reasonable knowledge and are willing to continue to learn, then you pretty much will be fine. Just keep the fuel coming and the spark agoing It is objective, it is easy to make big numbers with boost and spray. N/A is a tad bit harder, so you will get more props.

I just quoted myself from clubrsx.com :D

dobiejoe
01-30-2004, 09:51 PM
I would not just add boost with out doing anything to the engine first. That would be stupid and would not last long. I would do piston, rods, and type S crank at the same time. Then 12.5 PSI would not be a problum at all.

dobiejoe
01-30-2004, 09:52 PM
I would not just add boost with out doing anything to the engine first. That would be stupid and would not last long. I would do piston, rods, and type S crank at the same time. Then 12.5 PSI would not be a problum at all.

dobiejoe
01-30-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by DavidT

Peking
01-31-2004, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by dobiejoe

Um... good point. If you use the any of those kits at the suggest boost level, you will be fine. Greddy gives you the fuel chip thing. Revhard gives you a flash along with injectors, etc. Cybernation gives you the ELF, along with fuel injectors, etc. So if you keep the boost at those tested levels then you will be fine. If you want to increase the boost to get more power than upgrading internals is needed. Same would be if you want N/A, more power made. The harder it is on the parts. Also the more expensive all those parts and maintance would be.

dobiejoe
01-31-2004, 06:39 AM
Why the hell is it when I hit the submit button once it goes on here two or three times?????

swampdonkey
01-31-2004, 07:49 AM
Boost is less stressful on engine internals than high compression combustion. For some reason boost does not exert as much tensil stress on the internals as hgih compression.

dobiejoe
02-01-2004, 10:22 PM
That is a great point. I do beleve that the A3 would handle boost a whole lot better then a A2. But to have a A2 head and a built stonger lower compression A3 block would allow for lots of boost and less futer problums..

sniperSI
02-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Also there is no reason to run high boost right now heh, people can barly control what 9 psi gives them in their civics.

Fastest Ep is all motor though eh?

03EP3SiHB
02-03-2004, 02:38 PM
I would never put a turbo or supercharger on a motor that was not intended or came with it stock. I believe in good wholesome all motor!!!!! Anyways good luck with whatever you do.

k20hatch
02-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Greddy with Intercooler! :D

Vertigo
02-04-2004, 04:02 AM
If you ran the JRSC on a stock internal block at 12.5 psi your effective compression would be 17.76 to 1.:eek:
(9.6 x:1 times 12.5psi=17.76 x:1)

Hatch02SI
02-04-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Vertigo
If you ran the JRSC on a stock internal block at 12.5 psi your effective compression would be 17.76 to 1.:eek:
(9.6 x:1 times 12.5psi=17.76 x:1)

kaboom

oldskool
02-04-2004, 07:36 PM
boost is actually less stressful (at a conservative boost setting) than increasing engine rpm. inertia loads (compressive and tensile) increase proportional the the rpm SQUARED. so if you double the rpm you increase the inertia loads FOUR TIMES. boost is good because it increases cylinder pressure over the entire power stroke.
Power= effective pressure x length of the stroke x area of the bore x ( #of cylinders x rpm/2) if you double the effective pressure the peak pressure will only be increased by approx. 20% because it is over the entire power stroke and peak pressure is reach after about 18-20% of the mixture has burned so if you double the mixture 18-20% will also have burned when you reach peak pressure. as the crank reaches 90 degrees pressure will be much greater under boost but LESS than peak pressure. :D

STP03BlueSI
02-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Joe what ever you get let me know. and i will take the pics for u:D