PDA

View Full Version : K-series engine info good!

03silverEP
01-30-2004, 05:40 PM
I e-mailed Prototype Racing today and got this response, about k-series heads and the s2000 f20 head swap on a k-motor.

"The K and F-series engines use roller cams already"

"The headbolt pattern for the F20C is the same as the K20A, BUT the cam drives are very different. On the F20/22C there's one chain that drives a single gear that in turn drives both cams, where because of i-VTEC the K20/24A uses one chain driving both cams."

"In flow testing both heads we've found the K20A [PRB] head, which is the same on either JDM K20A or the K20A2 the rest of the world gets to be pretty close in flow capacity to the F20C, so there's no real reason to go through the headache of switching heads and cam drive/ front cover stuff."

"The K20A makes equal or better HP, and far better torque than the F20C, and American Honda gave us a new S2000 to test a couple months back and it made almost what my K20A does in terms of peak HP, but not as broad a torque curve."

The K20A3 isn't a good cornerstone for building a high HP engine. The rods are far weaker than the K20A and K20A2, and you'll need to change the pistons as well, so plan on a complete rebuild along with the head swap and ECU work. Hondata is the place to go for that, we've been working together on the K20A since the beginning."

Take care

myeverlovinsir
01-30-2004, 06:03 PM
"In flow testing both heads we've found the K20A [PRB] head, which is the same on either JDM K20A or the K20A2 the rest of the world gets to be pretty close in flow capacity to the F20C, so there's no real reason to go through the headache of switching heads and cam drive/ front cover stuff."

Yep, covered this during my head swap, the K20A2 head is a cornerstone in the K-series. P&P the pup and you have a better flowing head than the F20C.
http://alaniztechnologies.com/images/rsxvsf20c1.jpg

"The K20A makes equal or better HP, and far better torque than the F20C, and American Honda gave us a new S2000 to test a couple months back and it made almost what my K20A does in terms of peak HP, but not as broad a torque curve."

Some more reasuring info.;)

The K20A3 isn't a good cornerstone for building a high HP engine. The rods are far weaker than the K20A and K20A2, and you'll need to change the pistons as well, so plan on a complete rebuild along with the head swap and ECU work. Hondata is the place to go for that, we've been working together on the K20A since the beginning."

I am on that path, will see how far the rods can go on the stock block but know for sure they can handle 8k rpm all day long!:D

Good post and great feedback!

Tenacious G
01-30-2004, 10:30 PM
so where does the extra torque come from? the VTC?

Tenacious G
01-30-2004, 10:32 PM
great info. so where does the K20 get it's extra torque? the VTC? boreXstroke dimensions?

Payntech
02-01-2004, 07:08 AM
The VTC, cam, increased stroke, and intake manifold change make the K20 engine torquey. The bore and stroke of an S2000 (F20) is 87mm x 84mm and the (F22) is 87mm x 90.7mm. The K20 engines are 86mm x 86mm.