PDA

View Full Version : to header or not to header...

frankdogg
01-31-2004, 02:32 PM
man i'm stuck in a bind right now...can't decide on whether to buy the DC header. I was goign to wait for skunk2 but it looks like they are only doing a race header and i'm not sure if want to eliminate my cat. SO YOU GUYS TELL ME...HEADER or NO?

k20whiteboi269
01-31-2004, 02:35 PM
depends??? are u looking to go turbo in the future? than id say no. do u have to pass emissions? than race header may not be a good idea.

Peking
01-31-2004, 02:36 PM
From the list in your profile, I would say get it. Then get the flash from hondata.

4g63dsm
01-31-2004, 02:37 PM
i didn't feel a huge difference, personaly i would spend it on something else. Even people with I/H/E/Hondata cant break 15's "unless your in new jersey"If you wanna go fast with this motoryou need FI or an A2 swap.

irrational
01-31-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Peking
From the list in your profile, I would say get it. Then get the flash from hondata. so then with intake, header, exhaust, and hondata what should our cars(k20A3) put down to the wheels?

Peking
01-31-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by irrational
so then with intake, header, exhaust, and hondata what should our cars(k20A3) put down to the wheels?

I don't know, only a few dyno's have been done. I like the idea of the set-up. Also more than 95% of hondata owners love it. Doesn't hondata give you a higher redline when you have headers?

Originally posted by joshua
well guys it looked ok to me i got 165whp he said that is like 195 hp overall and i got 130lbs of torque. Looks good to me and in about 2-3 months i am going to go back because i will be getting my supercharger from jackson racing which i should put down like 230hp to the wheels which would put me in the mid 13 second bracket at least thats what shawn said. By the way his comment to me was that there has been alot of rummor going around about the k series engines that all these b series guys saying that the k series cant hang. Well he told me that k series engines are starting to make b series engines look like d series and he doesnt even have a k series. He showed me a dyno of an all motor type s engine making 268hp to the wheeels. Another thing he said about my car is that i make way more torque then the type s does he said like around 20lbs of torque all the way up to 5500 then the type s torque gets higher but he said if i would to race a type s i would launch on him hard and it would be hard for him to catch up.:D :D :D :D :D

SiR_d1
01-31-2004, 02:53 PM
I personally dont feel much a difference with a header installed.

thats just me though

k20whiteboi269
01-31-2004, 02:54 PM
i think our cars with i/h/e put down 140-145 whp. (think i saw a dyno sheet on here with those numbers) i dont think hondata will really raise this number just give more usefull rpms to play with.

Peking
01-31-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by k20whiteboi269
i think our cars with i/h/e put down 140-145 whp. (think i saw a dyno sheet on here with those numbers) i dont think hondata will really raise this number just give more usefull rpms to play with.

Hondata would really help, cause it will help allow for more accurate timing and fuel. Not meant to produce power numbers.

irrational
01-31-2004, 03:01 PM
so this "joshua" guy got 165 whp with I/H/E/Hondata? i can believe this since i got 148.6whp with only injen cai, magnaflow exhaust, and a few other mods(spoon earth code and top fuel power neo) that may have added to the total. these number were attained from the "dyno dynamics dynomometer" at autowave on dyno day last week. these number from "joshua" are believable to be because there was another guy there with only I/H/E and he got 158 whp.

BlackFL2k2Si
01-31-2004, 03:08 PM
I was under the impression that the shorty headers don't really give us that much power, only the race headers will.

Peking
01-31-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by BlackFL2k2Si
I was under the impression that the shorty headers don't really give us that much power, only the race headers will.

Sorta like a SRI is to a CAI, it will help make some numbers. Just not as great compared to a race header or test pipe.

dtexan
01-31-2004, 03:30 PM
I posted a 149hp w/magnaflow and K&N typhoon intake. I know that another guy had Skunk2 catback, DC header, and Injen cold air and his numbers were 152hp. I dont know if headers are really worth the money and trouble to install.

SmoothOperator
01-31-2004, 04:13 PM
I don't think you fully utilize an I/H/E, unless you have ALL 3 working in unison.
So even if you have an intake, and exhaust. Without a header you're not using them to their full potential.

Peking
01-31-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by SmoothOperator
I don't think you fully utilize an I/H/E, unless you have ALL 3 working in unison.
So even if you have an intake, and exhaust. Without a header you're not using them to their full potential.

Agreed, and I feel that Hondata would be the icing on the cake :D

Lucid Moments
01-31-2004, 05:11 PM
Another thing that would be nice is a true high flow cat. I do worry about the environment so I don't want to go with a test pipe, but high flow cats are available, just would have to have them welded in.
That way you would get low restriction exhaust, and still meet most emission standards.

frankdogg
02-01-2004, 01:51 AM
thanx for the heads up everyone...i actually went ahead and bought the header BEFORE reading all of these posts. I actually forgot that i posted this earlier. I'm such a NOOB but yea..i just sporadically got up and went to buy the header and had it installed. I honestly can't tell the difference, but then again, its wet out here in tacoma/seattle and plus i just had my t1r b-pipe installed yesterday. I guess i'll just have to leave the results up to the dyno. I'll eventually buy the high flow and what not, and i'm still waiting on SKUNK2 to hurry up and make their a3 cams available. BUT YEAH! ......:cool:

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
02-01-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by 4g63dsm
Even people with I/H/E/Hondata cant break 15's "unless your in new jersey"

haha

RedVRy81
02-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
haha

take a look at guys traps with i/h/e...around 90mph...that would suggest around 150whp +/- with your guys weight.

myeverlovinsir
02-01-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by SmoothOperator

Ditto.:D

VividDreams
02-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by 4g63dsm
If you wanna go fast with this motoryou need FI or an A2 swap.

umm, an A2 swap using our motor?

4g63dsm
02-02-2004, 12:31 AM
no you dumb ass. You need FI OR an A2 swap.