PDA

View Full Version : thinking of full setup what to get though

siver-SI
01-31-2004, 02:42 PM
Well I got some springs that I have not installed yet but since the shocks seem like they are going to be a pain in the ass to intall and get I am thinking of doing a full setup and just sell my springs. I just have no idea what to get. When looking it just gets more confusing. I know the Mugens are more then I want to spend.

What I am looking for is a good daily driver that I am looking to take on the track a few times at least. I want the car to handle better and be reliable. I just have no idea what to get though. I do not want to go cheap.

Neal

Peking
01-31-2004, 02:55 PM
Did you see the install directions? Just need the tools, and time.

siver-SI
01-31-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Peking
Did you see the install directions? Just need the tools, and time.

It just seems like so many people are having problems with doing a spring and seperate shock set up. I am starting to second guess my spring install. I have the tools since i work for snap-on tools. I just need to get a grindering so I can take off the top of the tower so I remove the bolt.

Peking
01-31-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
It just seems like so many people are having problems with doing a spring and seperate shock set up. I am starting to second guess my spring install. I have the tools since i work for snap-on tools. I just need to get a grindering so I can take off the top of the tower so I remove the bolt.

Oh sorry, didn't see that you were going for an aftermarket shock too. Did you get the Koni's, also why are you going to cut of the top of the tower for??? Why can't you remove the bolt???

andy
01-31-2004, 03:32 PM
Tein Basic's are in the $850 range, is that still too pricey?
Someone posted about the Hayame (sp?) Coilovers - only like $650
and include the upper mounts, but I'm not sure on their quality.

You can always look used - I got my Tein SS's for $650, someone else
just bought a similar set and a camber kit for $600 on eBay.

siver-SI
01-31-2004, 03:33 PM
Oh sorry, didn't see that you were going for an aftermarket shock too. Did you get the Koni's, also why are you going to cut of the top of the tower for??? Why can't you remove the bolt???

I have seen installs I have seen to change the shocks you have to do take a grinder to the shcok tower. I am not sure why though. I have not gotten the shocks yet but that is what I am trying to figure out is if I should get the shocks are just get a full setup deal now.

siver-SI
01-31-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by andy
Tein Basic's are in the $850 range, is that still too pricey?
Someone posted about the Hayame (sp?) Coilovers - only like $650
and include the upper mounts, but I'm not sure on their quality.

You can always look used - I got my Tein SS's for $650, someone else
just bought a similar set and a camber kit for $600 on eBay.

I would say the 850 is around my max. I want adjustable ones so that I can go for looks and racing all in one.

dofu
01-31-2004, 03:55 PM
posted in another thread b4... cheap tein basics (link) (http://www.apexr1.com/teinbasichonda.html)

Peking
01-31-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
I have seen installs I have seen to change the shocks you have to do take a grinder to the shcok tower. I am not sure why though. I have not gotten the shocks yet but that is what I am trying to figure out is if I should get the shocks are just get a full setup deal now.

How about you just use the stock shocks for awhile, then upgrade to a better set-up that is what I have planned. As you know many of us are using stock shocks.

Civicvtec1ps
01-31-2004, 04:19 PM
How about you just use the stock springs for awhile, then upgrade to a better set-up that is what I have planned. As you know many of us are using stock shocks.
Thats what I am doing right now.
You can't get Tein SS with $850.
Tein basic is almost identical as SS. Just don't have dampening adjustable.
Hayame fullcoilover is 650 shipped. NON adjustble dampening though.
I had Tein ss on my old car(02 civic EX). Worth every penny.
I paid around $1100.and I shoulve kept it for ep...
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/350000-350999/350129_3_full.jpg

97 TYPE-R 312
01-31-2004, 07:25 PM
well the Mugens were worth every penny! I daily drive and will track the EP when I don't have my TYPE-R around.

I have them in stock too.

Thanks,
Victor