PDA

View Full Version : will i need camber kit?

IIx 03 EP xII
01-31-2004, 10:51 PM
im getting H&R springs and Koni Yellows... actually i already have them, just not installed yet (waitin on the rear konis)... and i was wondering if i would need a camber kit desperately... i plan on getting one... but how long can i wait without messing up my tire wear? the thing is that i dont have the money RIGHT NOW... but i might in a few days/weeks. will i be alright for a few weeks?

Civicvtec1ps
02-01-2004, 12:14 AM
You will be fine without camber kit.
Get them whenever you can buy it,

Peking
02-01-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by IIx 03 EP xII
im getting H&R springs and Koni Yellows... actually i already have them, just not installed yet (waitin on the rear konis)... and i was wondering if i would need a camber kit desperately... i plan on getting one... but how long can i wait without messing up my tire wear? the thing is that i dont have the money RIGHT NOW... but i might in a few days/weeks. will i be alright for a few weeks?

Yes you should get them. You can get them for $129, front and rear. You can go a few weeks without it, any longer than that. Then you should balance and rotate your tires. I know a member who is dropped on Neuspeed Race springs, no camber. You can tell after a few months.

styllinep3
02-01-2004, 08:41 AM
how low is the hr springs drop? if its 1.5 or less of a drop you dont need a camber kit. ive been dropped on teins (1.5 drop) for about a 10 months and no sign of wear on any tire. the honda tech told me when i went for my alingment that i was only out like 2 degrees in the rear and i shouldnt notice any wear which i havent. good luck on the koni install.

Peking
02-01-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by styllinep3
how low is the hr springs drop? if its 1.5 or less of a drop you dont need a camber kit. ive been dropped on teins (1.5 drop) for about a 10 months and no sign of wear on any tire. the honda tech told me when i went for my alingment that i was only out like 2 degrees in the rear and i shouldnt notice any wear which i havent. good luck on the koni install.

2" all around :)

styllinep3
02-01-2004, 09:01 AM
the i would suggest a camber kit then lol.

thanks jon;)

abstrack
02-01-2004, 02:35 PM
is it true u only camber the back and not the front?

IIx 03 EP xII
02-01-2004, 02:39 PM
yeah... could i only get it for the rear? cuz arent the fronts just a bolt or something? and why does the camber get all messed up when lowering the car? i never understood that. i just gotta wait til somebody buy's my cd player from me.

Peking
02-01-2004, 09:41 PM
yeah... could i only get it for the rear? cuz arent the fronts just a bolt or something? and why does the camber get all messed up when lowering the car? i never understood that. i just gotta wait til somebody buy's my cd player from me.

Yes you can, but the front are less than 20 dollars. So you can get the front and rear for 129, much better than the 189 I paid. The fronts are bolts, with a piece on it that adjusts the angle of the tire.

Originally posted by Suk02Si
Looking at the front of the car...

|| || zero degrees of camber

// \\ negative camber (caused by lowering)

\\ // posotive camber (reminds me of a cadillac)

It's kinda hard to explain how camber affects handling through typing, but basically, your car will handle better with a little bit of negative camber. Too much negative camber and you actually start to lose traction.

When driving straight with zero degrees of camber, you are have full contact of the tire surface on the ground, when turning, you will be riding on the outer half of the outside tire(20% less tire surface on the ground) therefore losing a bit of traction while turning.

When driving straight with slight negative camber, you will be riding on in the inner part of the tires (about 20% less contact area). When turning you will be riding on the full contact surface of the tire; more traction giving you better handling.

hope it makes sense :confused:

Negative camber is a result of lowering because the suspension was designed at a certain height. So when lowering it, it does not capable of adjusting itself. Hence the wheels looks like this // \\. So getting parts that can will help you stay pretty much zero camber.

Hope this helps some in explaining :)

IIx 03 EP xII
02-02-2004, 08:19 AM
so what exactly is perfect camber? if a slight negative camber helps with handling... so what should it be set at? im gonna get a camber kit as soon as i sell my cd player... so when i do, what should i get it adjusted to? -1 degree? or what i dont know?

IIx 03 EP xII
02-02-2004, 08:25 AM
so what exactly is perfect camber? if a slight negative camber helps with handling... so what should it be set at? im gonna get a camber kit as soon as i sell my cd player... so when i do, what should i get it adjusted to? -1 degree? or what i dont know?

where can i purchase it for 129 or whatever? cuz showstoppers is like 159 or more i think?!

2k2ep
02-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Groupbuy for $129 in groupbuy section. Get them its worth your while. It will pay for itself in one set of tires.

SiR_d1
02-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by 2k2ep
Groupbuy for $129 in groupbuy section. Get them its worth your while. It will pay for itself in one set of tires.

I agree, just get it to be safe. I mean were not talking dollars here:rolleyes:

styllinep3
02-03-2004, 08:14 AM

where can i purchase it for 129 or whatever? cuz showstoppers is like 159 or more i think?!

well its not that camber is bad. really the more camber you have the better handling you have. look at race cars there camber is crazy. the only problem is a lot of cmaber on a daily driver will cause uneven tire wear. so its pretty much your call.

Peking
02-03-2004, 08:29 AM
well its not that camber is bad. really the more camber you have the better handling you have. look at race cars there camber is crazy. the only problem is a lot of cmaber on a daily driver will cause uneven tire wear. so its pretty much your call.

Yep, just like Gabe said. If you watch any road racing there negative camber is very extreme. They also have plenty of tires so they can do that.

styllinep3
02-03-2004, 08:52 AM
thanks jon. i feel smart now:D ;) :cool:

K20A3Si
02-03-2004, 08:59 AM
i have the H&R with the Koni's and i had camber from the start....i just felt safer with th ecamber...plus my camber is adjj up to -4 degrees...which will be fun when i get on the lift and can start to experiment some thing si have always wanted to....good set up though;)

03silverEP
02-04-2004, 05:47 PM
1 deg. neg. camber is good for handling and won't affect your tires

Peking
02-04-2004, 09:11 PM
thanks jon. i feel smart now:D ;) :cool:

Gabe you were smart before :D