PDA

View Full Version : Hondata for me?

03K20A3Si
02-01-2004, 12:51 PM
Ok, i'm looking for your opinion. I have Injen intake with heatshield, Hondata intake spacer, and Greddy Evo cat-back exhaust. Eventually i'll get a header, but for right now, i want to do the Hondata computer upgrade. Is it worth to me to do it now, or should i wait? Thanks for all the input you can give me.

DavidT
02-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Hondata now. The sooner the better :)

cHiNoYbOi14
02-01-2004, 12:57 PM
IMO, I think that you should wait till you get the header, that way when you have the Hondata you'll already have the whole i/h/e package.

ThickMick
02-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Get hondata. You'll really love it. It's a great mod.

Payntech
02-01-2004, 01:20 PM
The Hondata flash should be one of the top 3 mods for the car. It allows the real potential of the A3 engine to come out. Headers gain HP but do not increase the accelleration of the car like the Hondata reflash.

myeverlovinsir
02-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Payntech
The Hondata flash should be one of the top 3 mods for the car. It allows the real potential of the A3 engine to come out. Headers gain HP but do not increase the accelleration of the car like the Hondata reflash.

The DC header in combination with my intake and exhaust helped the overall tq and improved acceleration. Hello! The header showed about 5wtq improvement in the 4.5k rpm range when combined with the intake and exhaust. Hondata did help as well, however on the dyno it showed not an ounce of improvement. Increased rev limit and advanced timing are not something you should expect to see as improvements on the dyno. I did notice my 1/4 mile times improve with hondata. Never broke into the 14's on the A3 setup. Best I ever did was 15.201;)

andy
02-01-2004, 01:38 PM
I just ran a 15.35@91.6 (2.35 60ft) with intake, exhaust and Hondata
flash/gasket. With lighter wheels, better tires and motor mounts (and
better driving), I *think* I can do 14s. A guy at the same track as
me did 15.12 with just an intake.

I will say this - the gains from just intake/exhaust were nice. Noticeable
difference on the butt dyno.
However, the driving experience with Hondata is better. If I could do
it over again, I probably would have done Hondata first. But, if you
are going to get i/h/e at some point anyway, I guess it really doesn't
matter what order you go in, unless it's like 3 years between getting
an exhaust and the reflash. ;)

03K20A3Si
02-01-2004, 01:46 PM
Thanks, but i was talking about getting the Hondata flash now and the header in a few months, it'll be fine right?

myeverlovinsir
02-01-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by 03K20A3Si
Thanks, but i was talking about getting the Hondata flash now and the header in a few months, it'll be fine right?

Get the Hondata flash, you can't go wrong with it. When you need to upgrade it will cost you less. I was entirely impressed with my Hondata and miss it on the A2 head!;)

jdmwagon
02-01-2004, 02:46 PM
I don't mean to thread jack, but Is the redline on the Hondata unsafe(too high)? Thanks.

BlackFL2k2Si
02-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Its safe. Hondata tested it up to what, like 10,000 rpms?

denmah
02-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by jdmwagon
I don't mean to thread jack, but Is the redline on the Hondata unsafe(too high)? Thanks.

umm i would say no. you have more chance of harm during a misshift but you should never really misshift. lol

as far as safe goes. i redline the hell out of my engine for the last 10k on hondata had hondata installed at 20k and i beat it before hondata too.

you can burnout and bang the limiter, peel out in the rain and bang the limiter, ive also banged the limiter on the highway while taking pictures of where the speedo tops out.

so cliff notes. hondata is perfectly safe.

myeverlovinsir
02-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Well, I have gone over 8k rpm many times with the stock block, rods, pistons on the new A2 head. I would say you have nothing to worry about, unless you misshift.;)

irrational
02-02-2004, 04:41 PM
i would get header before the hondata. not only is it cheaper but you will get more out of your hondata mod after you have I/H/E.

Peking
02-02-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by irrational
i would get header before the hondata. not only is it cheaper but you will get more out of your hondata mod after you have I/H/E.

I second this :)

jdmwagon
02-03-2004, 01:07 AM
If get the Hondata it will be during the same week as the header.

Vertigo
02-03-2004, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by jdmwagon
If get the Hondata it will be during the same week as the ECU.
???

I bummed that the programable flash is pushed back till March 1st.:'(

kenis138
02-03-2004, 06:45 AM
get the flash asap, you wont be disappointed, biggest enhancement to overall driving experience that you can do to the car

03K20A3Si
02-03-2004, 05:26 PM
But i don't NEED the header with the re-flash right? i plan on doing the header in a few months but there isn't a different flash without the header, so i don't have to send the PCM back after the header?

Payntech
02-03-2004, 05:37 PM
You do not need to have the header for the reflash... and there isn't a header specific reflash.

Hatch02SI
02-03-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
Get the Hondata flash, you can't go wrong with it. When you need to upgrade it will cost you less. I was entirely impressed with my Hondata and miss it on the A2 head!;)

So why did u take it off with the a2 head??? If the hondata a3 chip works with the the new head y would u take it off??? did the a2 chip give u more power... I woulda thought with better timing/fuel/etc. that the hondata a3 chip would be perfect for putting more power out of the a2 head.

Care to respond please! :confused:

03K20A3Si
02-05-2004, 05:21 PM
thanks Payntech, i'll get the flash now and get a header this summer, thanks guys with all the input.

03K20A3Si
02-12-2004, 05:42 PM
One more hondat question. If i got hondata now, and say next year i pick up a rev hard or greddy turbo kit, what would i have to do? Get my computer reflashed or does the rev hard piggy back wire harness take care of that? let me know, this will make my final decision on hondata. Thanks again everyone.

03K20A3Si
02-13-2004, 06:08 PM
any ideas?

andy
02-13-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by 03K20A3Si
One more hondat question. If i got hondata now, and say next year i pick up a rev hard or greddy turbo kit, what would i have to do? Get my computer reflashed or does the rev hard piggy back wire harness take care of that? let me know, this will make my final decision on hondata. Thanks again everyone.

It depends on what kit you go with. I think RevHard has their "own"
Hondata reflash that is specific to their kit. I'm not sure if GReddy
offers something like that or not.

The *best* thing to do (performance and maybe price wise) is to get
the flash now. When you get a turbo kit, upgrade (4 or 500) to the
K-series programmable Hondata reflash. That will allow you to adjust
the a/f, timing, etc to your liking and to try to make it fit with
your kit and accessories (i.e. bigger injectors).

Hondata released a dyno sheet and article on their site where they
put a supercharger on a K20A2, added a 40-shot of n2o and tuned it
all with their programmable ECU (the ECU dumped fuel and pulled
timing when the shot hit). Pretty cool - they got 300+ whp out of
it, too.

03K20A3Si
02-13-2004, 06:59 PM
that's what i needed to hear, thanks for all the help guys.

JRSC_EP3
02-14-2004, 04:08 PM
I would do the Hondata as the last possible thing. You would want to make all of your mods first and then have Hondata send you the new ECU with the correct setup for everything you have.

SinisterCivicSi
02-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by denmah
hondata is perfectly safe.

ok guys dont flame me too hard on this but i have heard good & bad things about hondata and i dont know a tremendous amount of info on it but for those that have it (or had it for a while)...have you experienced "valve flotation" like i have heard about...and how can this be "safe" if this is what happens? i have read a few things about hondata but i would rather hear from someone that has had it for a while, what your experiences have been.

I wanted to get it a while back, but then i heard of the potential problems with the valve lift and all this other stuff... so now i am kinda scared of it and what it could do to the engine in the long run.

myeverlovinsir
02-16-2004, 06:20 PM
I have been running hondata since day one and went through 2 iterations of it. Valve float can happen with high rpm. I have reved the A3 block and head for over a year and stayed just below the fuel cut (7700rpm) as there was no power gains in going further, only a better grab on the next gear. Don't think anyone has posted a valve float here with hondata. It usually happens when you misshift and rev @ near 10k or more rpm. Hondata is a nice touch to liven up your car. After running the A2 head with the stock A2 ecu, I still miss the responsiveness and tuning that goes with hondata, even though I am making more power and have real vtec. I know I will be grateful when I have the programmable unit in my hands.