PDA

View Full Version : Here's A Decent Icebox Style Intake from Germany....

JSIR
09-26-2002, 03:54 PM
Since the Comptech Icebox isnt out yet I thought I would post this one made by Idol, its carbon fibre which is a step above the usual Comptech box materials. This is a simple design that should do the trick. I haven't heard the price of it though, it comes from Germany. It would fit the US Si fine.

check it out.... no flaming the clubsi guys okay, NA forum is my board !, and they guys there are cool.

http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB16&Number=1277567&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

2sloSi
09-26-2002, 04:04 PM
That intake looks sweet! The CTR in black is just so badass!

Hey JSIR, the na forum on csi is great, lots of people know their stuff. I've learned alot from csi! I've been a member for like 2 years now!

smokincivic
09-26-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
[B]Since the Comptech Icebox isnt out yet I thought I would post this one made by Idol

Check this out http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dspparts&vL1ID=0&makeid=140&modelid=020&catyear=2002&catid=0015&pcid=948&vTitle=2002%20HONDA%20Civic%20Intake%20Components% 20Air%20Intake%20System comptech ice box is out for the Si

JSIR
09-26-2002, 06:06 PM
actually Nopi is full of crap, they are just advertising the icebox , it isn't available yet and probably wont be until November at the earliest. I don't even know how they can price it yet.

smokincivic
09-26-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
actually Nopi is full of crap, they are just advertising the icebox , it isn't available yet and probably wont be until November at the earliest. I don't even know how they can price it yet.

I called Comptech and they verified the part # I guess I should have verified that it was actually out my bad SORRY

JSIR
09-26-2002, 06:11 PM
well its not your fault, lots of people get fooled into thinking that is is available because of Nopi. At least they got the right part number, I think they are jus trying to get pre-orders or something to stir interest. I am looking forward to seeing the Comptech box though, if its as nice as their other intakes I hope to get my hands on one.

02blksi
09-27-2002, 02:34 PM
EVERYONE STAY TUNED! I HAVE COME up with a plan to modify the existing OEM air box to look like this. Ill post some pics when im done making it, and some general impressions of it. --joe :) STAY TUNED!http://www.type-r-club.de/termine2002/nuerburgring_treffen_2002/nuerburgring_treffen_2002_023.JPG

JSIR
09-27-2002, 04:20 PM
that might be possible, let us know what you come up with. I do like the carbon fibre though.

02blksi
09-27-2002, 05:46 PM
im already set! i have a clear head, game plan on paper, parts in hand, beer in the fridge, and a whole day with my EP tomorrow !! :)Hopefully this will work as good as i think its gonna.! --joe

TEKBRAIN
09-29-2002, 09:54 AM
And?

JSIR
09-29-2002, 10:21 AM
yeah come on slow poke, spit it out, lets see what you're up to !, you got it done yet ?:rolleyes:

02blksi
09-29-2002, 11:57 AM
worked on it all day saturday, tested it out and BLegghhh! IT SUCKED !! my thoughts on why it is necessary to have an aftermarket airbox when trying to make a icebox knockoff.
1. the lid design is shitty all that plastic for nothing.
2.the box itself, well it is one huge baffle, the air inlet where the air is routed into the box has a cutout in it for the (resonator-goose neck looking thing) this redirects air flow into what i call the deep black abyss. Basically instead of having a straight shot into the air filter, air is routed via the "goose neck" into a chamber where it NEVER reaches the air filter.! It conesquently is trapped in their due to the design of the oem lid. TOTALLY USELESS DESING IMO!
3. the entire assmebly is bulky/heavy all for nothing, and its soooooooooo quite!!!

---what i did----
took the stock air box cut out the baffle inside and replaced the rubber boot that sucks in air for the oem box, with 3inch brake ducting (bought at pep boys) routed the ducting all the way down the fenderwell and into the foglight housing.

--Driving impressions--

BLehhh, Boring, predictable, lame .
the car falls on its face in the upper rpms, throttle response is no where near as crisp as even with my homemade cai. The glorious sound of i-Vtec is no longer there!!

Notes:
1. while uninstalling my imprompto attempt at making the "icebox" i found my main throttle cable had a shit load of slack (see link on bottom)!!! i have never seen the amount of slack that i found on my car! i quickly adjusted it and reinstalled my shortram, and was pleased with the outcome. IMO - ill buy the ICEBOX when it comes out for my car. :) for now my shortram works just fine! -- cheers.

http://boostedhx.20megsfree.com/images/throttle_slack.jpg

JSIR
09-29-2002, 04:43 PM
well it was worth a try, thanks for the info , you can always learn something even if it fails. ;)

TEKBRAIN
10-13-2002, 01:19 AM
Any news on this box?

Mr.02BlackSIguY
10-13-2002, 12:40 PM
ao the comptech icebox will be similiar to this IDOL one right? looks pretty tite. i havent bought a intake yet, im waiting for the comtech to see how it does.

JSIR
10-13-2002, 01:54 PM
I expect the Comptech to have a molded intake tube with a radiused air-horn type of end to it. Not the dryer vent type of hose this Idol system uses, I'm also waiting to see what they come up with, I've always liked the Comptech intakes the best for the money they charge.

seks727
10-16-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by 02blksi
worked on it all day saturday, tested it out and BLegghhh! IT SUCKED !! my thoughts on why it is necessary to have an aftermarket airbox when trying to make a icebox knockoff.
1. the lid design is shitty all that plastic for nothing.
2.the box itself, well it is one huge baffle, the air inlet where the air is routed into the box has a cutout in it for the (resonator-goose neck looking thing) this redirects air flow into what i call the deep black abyss. Basically instead of having a straight shot into the air filter, air is routed via the "goose neck" into a chamber where it NEVER reaches the air filter.! It conesquently is trapped in their due to the design of the oem lid. TOTALLY USELESS DESING IMO!
3. the entire assmebly is bulky/heavy all for nothing, and its soooooooooo quite!!!

---what i did----
took the stock air box cut out the baffle inside and replaced the rubber boot that sucks in air for the oem box, with 3inch brake ducting (bought at pep boys) routed the ducting all the way down the fenderwell and into the foglight housing.

--Driving impressions--

BLehhh, Boring, predictable, lame .
the car falls on its face in the upper rpms, throttle response is no where near as crisp as even with my homemade cai. The glorious sound of i-Vtec is no longer there!!

Notes:
1. while uninstalling my imprompto attempt at making the "icebox" i found my main throttle cable had a shit load of slack (see link on bottom)!!! i have never seen the amount of slack that i found on my car! i quickly adjusted it and reinstalled my shortram, and was pleased with the outcome. IMO - ill buy the ICEBOX when it comes out for my car. :) for now my shortram works just fine! -- cheers.

HONDATA did this as well...check it out.

http://www.hondata.com/kseriesairboxmod.html

myeverlovinsir
10-16-2002, 05:34 PM
Have never really seen true gains from an ice box on a dyno compared to CAI or not, the best way is CAI, so long your not running deep puddles.

Another note: 02blksi gonna use your photo bud.

Looked up the specs while at honda and found that specs are 13 mm deflection/slack in the throtle cable. So I can understand why some of you might think it requires tightening!!!

02blksi
10-16-2002, 05:38 PM
13mm WHYYYYYYY god WHYYYYYYYY .. ok im not really that dramatic but seriously why that much slack, right now i have mine tightend all the way maybe at most 4-6mm deflection, and the car runs fine and its a little snappier...

BTW: i use a crappy ass server/web board to upload my images sometimes they drop the link to my pics, just copy and paste the image url into your explorer bar in case the pics arent their later. -joe

myeverlovinsir
10-16-2002, 09:15 PM
13 mm deflection/slack in the throtle cable. Again, I can understand why some of you might think it requires tightening!!!

I have taken up my slack to bout 6mm deflection, and have noticed quite a bit better response. This is all good stuff to know. Tks