PDA

View Full Version : EP can't tow???

Loudpedal
02-02-2004, 06:11 PM
I thought that pretty much all cars could tow at least 1000lbs. I'm so pissed to learn that the EP is not rated to tow shit all. Checking the Honda U.K. site indicates that their EP's are rated to tow 1500lbs!?!

What gives?

Think a dealer would know if every time I took the car in for service I took off the hitch?

Btw, I'm only looking to tow a 700lb Sea-Doo.

SiR_d1
02-02-2004, 06:47 PM
this is new to me, than again I have nothing to tow

Dunrick
02-02-2004, 06:48 PM
5 people in the car is that much weight........

if they all weigh 150 lb

i've had that many in my car.....ran fine.

MrCivic03
02-02-2004, 07:21 PM
how u goin to tow a sea doo??? wow that would be funny to see...

Loudpedal
02-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by MrCivic03
how u goin to tow a sea doo???

On a trailer.

SiR_d1
02-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by MrCivic03
how u goin to tow a sea doo??? wow that would be funny to see...

Originally posted by Loudpedal
On a trailer.

the obvious answer is often the correct one

oldschoolimport
02-02-2004, 10:50 PM
I used to pull a jet ski with an 88 integra that had the 1.6 in it. I don't see how it would hurt the ep.

andy
02-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Buddy of mine tows a 3-seater jet ski with his 4-banger Accord.
Runs/works fine.
Someone else here had a question about this and the general consensus
was "no", mainly because there's no subframe (no good place to mount
a hitch). Just an FYI.

downhil
02-02-2004, 11:06 PM
yes you can tow with your si.

downhil
02-02-2004, 11:06 PM
yes you can tow with your si.

oldschoolimport
02-02-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by andy
mainly because there's no subframe (no good place to mount
a hitch). Just an FYI. on my 88 integra there was no sub frame either. there was a plate that bolted to the bumper beam, and a v shaped bracket thet bolted thru the spare floor. the v actually straddled the tow hook. a piece of 1/2" flat steel connected to the v and back to the bumper beam plate and out to the hitch ball.

BSEVEER
02-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Sure you can tow, but the manual says not to. The worst that can happen is you fuc* up your car and have to pay to have it fixed.;)

oldschoolimport
02-03-2004, 12:07 AM
I am not saying to go and pull a ski boat. its a sea-doo. I don't see how it is any different than any other uni-body 4 cylinder that is "approved for towing".

styllinep3
02-03-2004, 09:01 AM
it would just be like having 5 heads in the car, and some sutff in the hatch

SiR Medic
02-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Since the owner's manual says not to tow anything, the safest bet would be to not tow anything!

However, the owner's manual also says not to lower or modify the suspension in anyway... And we all know how many people here ignore THAT little tidbit.

Basically, if you want to risk towing something, it's up to you, but Honda Inc. has its legal bases covered if something comes loose and causes havoc on the freeway.

Personally, I'd buy an old pick-up truck (like Tacoma or an S-10) or better yet a "real" SUV, like an old 4Runner, or better still, an old Jeep Wrangler. Since you'll probably have to traverse some rough areas to use your Sea-Doo anyway, you might as well get a real "truck" to do it with.

Dunrick
02-03-2004, 11:24 AM
i would suggest shifting at high rpms

4k for sure, if your towing

so you get up into the torque...

dont lug the engine w/ that much weight.

JapanExpress
02-03-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with SiR Medic on this one.

SiR_d1
02-03-2004, 11:39 AM
agreed,

better to be safe than sorry

STP03BlueSI
02-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by SiR Medic
However, the owner's manual also says not to lower or modify the suspension in anyway... And we all know how many people here ignore THAT little tidbit.

It says that in the manual.:eek: :D ...ah i didnt read 1/2 the manual, you really think a book will teach you something...well somethings.;)

2QK4U ALLWAYS
02-03-2004, 11:53 AM
I have a hitch on my ep and pull 2 dirt bikes and a jetski no problems whats so ever hide a hitch is the company that makes hitches for our car( by the way its a full frame hitch)

VividDreams
02-03-2004, 06:00 PM
once again, ill say it. ITS NOT ABOUT HAVING ENOUGH POWER TO TOW!!! the reason honda says no to towing is because the rear structure of the car was not intended to be used to tow anything. i personally dont think people should even tow with CRV's, RAV4's, escapes, etc. why? theres no actual rear frame. its a unibody, if you knew you were gonna do some towing you shoulda A> got an SUV/truck, or B. go buy yourself an old beater pickup, i.e. ranger, S-10, Jeep wrangler, dakota, etc. theyre pretty cheap(with the exception to the jeep, they hold theyre value like hondas), theyre all easy to come by, have cheap parts and arent too expensive to insure.

please, do not tow with your EP!

Loudpedal
02-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Guys, I hear what you're all saying. If I were towing something like an inboard bow rider boat, I'd be getting a truck. A Sea-Doo on a trailer could be pulled by a sick baby.

Our EP in U.K. can tow 500 kilos without trailer brakes and 1200 kilos (!!!) with trailer brakes. That's roughly 1000 lbs and 2400 lbs, respectively. What gives that the North American bretheren are stuck with jack shit???

If the EP was such a tin can I would have thought that all EP's worldwide would have been saddled with a 0 tow rating.

2QK4U ALLWAYS, any problems with having the hitch on when taking it in for service/warranty work?

MrCivic03
02-03-2004, 07:08 PM
ssorry i didnt mean u how u goin to tow a sea doo w/o trailer or on trailer i ment with a car. bc i am around trucks and shit and never seen a car tow a trailer. also in manual it says 800 pounds is all u should tow so idk...

SSMep3
02-03-2004, 09:07 PM
my 2001 EM2 coupe said the same thing in the manual. couldnt tow shit.

2QK4U ALLWAYS
02-04-2004, 06:49 AM
Guys, I hear what you're all saying. If I were towing something like an inboard bow rider boat, I'd be getting a truck. A Sea-Doo on a trailer could be pulled by a sick baby.

Our EP in U.K. can tow 500 kilos without trailer brakes and 1200 kilos (!!!) with trailer brakes. That's roughly 1000 lbs and 2400 lbs, respectively. What gives that the North American bretheren are stuck with jack shit???

If the EP was such a tin can I would have thought that all EP's worldwide would have been saddled with a 0 tow rating.

2QK4U ALLWAYS, any problems with having the hitch on when taking it in for service/warranty work?

NO PROBLEMS WITH WARRANTY WHATS SO EVER.
The hitch becomes part of the car it is a FRAME hitch which ties in to the unidody it spans the whole width of the car I pull 2000LBS with it all summer long.
No flexing at all should cost you around $100 installed I paid $140 canadian.

The only problems I could see with warranty is if your clutch goes they may say it's cause you tow. But that would be the only thing I could think of unless you overload the car and trailer.

Most people have small cars in Europe and they tow all the time they dont have the luxury like North Americans to have 2 or cars andtrucks at that,not enough room for them.All cars have towing capabilyties if the hitch is designed and tested correctly.

Dont worry about what people say on here it is COMPLETALY SAFE

BSEVEER
02-04-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by 2QK4U ALLWAYS
NO PROBLEMS WITH WARRANTY WHATS SO EVER.
The hitch becomes part of the car it is a FRAME hitch which ties in to the unidody it spans the whole width of the car I pull 2000LBS with it all summer long.
No flexing at all should cost you around $100 installed I paid $140 canadian.

The only problems I could see with warranty is if your clutch goes they may say it's cause you tow. But that would be the only thing I could think of unless you overload the car and trailer.

Most people have small cars in Europe and they tow all the time they dont have the luxury like North Americans to have 2 or cars andtrucks at that,not enough room for them.All cars have towing capabilyties if the hitch is designed and tested correctly.

Dont worry about what people say on here it is COMPLETALY SAFE

Except for the fact that the manual says not to do it.;)

VividDreams
02-05-2004, 08:34 PM
just dont come crying on this site when your car has crinkles in the unibody in various places. and that "FRAME" hitch is only as strong as the "Frame" its mounted to. yeah, you can slap a class I or II hitch on the underside of your trunk and tow shit, but that doesnt mean there wont be adverse affects on the CAR:rolleyes: whatever. besides, whats so hard about getting a little beater pickup for like $500?

towing a trailer causes excessive wear and puts added stress on many things, for example: engine, trans, clutch, brakes, cooling system, oiling system, frame/unibody, wheels/tires, rear suspension, etc.

plus, since the car was not intended to tow, depending on how much tongue weight you have, you will have a rear weight bias so bad that you may not be able to stop/ steer as well as without it. meaning, the weight will take weight off the front wheels making it harder to turn.

2QK4U ALLWAYS
02-06-2004, 06:29 AM
The car is designed to tow up to 2000lbS.
This is why in Honda Europe sell OEM hitches .
Second to that, the reason in our manuals it specifys not to tow is cause majority of NORTH AMERICANS are morroons and they dont pay attention to how they load and DRIVE their cars. This is a way HONDA North America is covering its ass.
I'm not disputting that it's the ultimate vehicle for towing and yes it has its limits but it does the job and yes it's more wear and tear, but its a car You drive the shit out of it I tow the shit out of it.
Maybe you should take a trip to europe and learn about the world.

Ps: My old car a Hyundai Accent lowered on 16" 40 series tires 1.5 L
pulled the same stuff everyone said you can pull anything with that! Well guess what it did 200K KM about 125K miles on it now original clutch, motor, tranny, shocks (OEM ones at that)on Eihbach springs and still going strong. Ohh sorry I replaced the muffler and the front brakes(rotors and pads once in that time)

What I'm trying to say if you drive knowing how, you will not harm your vehicle

Loudpedal
02-07-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by VividDreams
just dont come crying on this site when your car has crinkles in the unibody in various places. whats so hard about getting a little beater pickup for like $500?

towing a trailer causes excessive wear and puts added stress on many things, for example: engine, trans, clutch, brakes, cooling system, oiling system, frame/unibody, wheels/tires, rear suspension, etc.

plus, since the car was not intended to tow

I won't come crying.

$500 beater trucks (that are certifiable and pass smog) don't exist

Driving hard causes excessive wear. I think that I'll actually be easier on my car when I have something attached to the hitch.

The car was intended to tow, and that's the basis for my point. The EP was available to our U.K. cousins well before it was avail. to us and they get the 2400 lb tow rating.

VividDreams
02-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by 2QK4U ALLWAYS
the reason in our manuals it specifys not to tow is cause majority of NORTH AMERICANS are morroons and they dont pay attention to how they load and DRIVE their cars....... What I'm trying to say if you drive knowing how, you will not harm your vehicle

i can agree with that.

VividDreams
02-07-2004, 11:09 AM
$500 beater trucks (that are certifiable and pass smog) don't exist

Driving hard causes excessive wear. I think that I'll actually be easier on my car when I have something attached to the hitch.

The car was intended to tow, and that's the basis for my point. The EP was available to our U.K. cousins well before it was avail. to us and they get the 2400 lb tow rating.

im sure i can find a few beater trucks for about that much that will pass safety and emmissions inspections.

i dont think the car was INTENDED to tow, thats a little extreme. and it may well be that the UK versions are listed as being able to tow around 1US ton, but the US ones, for whatever reason, arent, so if you tow, and something goes wrong, Honda America will claim that you voided the warrantee by towing.

btw, im not TRYING to be an ass, i realize that i may have come off like that and im sorry

motomoron
02-10-2004, 10:52 AM
First mod to my Si was installing a Hidden Hitch so I could drag my sprint karts to the track. And heaps of crap to the dump, loads of flagstone home from the quarry, etc. etc.

Just don't be an idiot. Load your trailer so your tongue weight doesn't exceed 100 lbs, I usually go for 50 lbs or so. Accelerate gently, leave more following distance, and watch your ass backing up.

I towed a road race motorcycle and all the attandant crap thousands of miles with my old 89' and 90' Si, with no problems at all.