PDA

View Full Version : @sshole Bumped My EP - Should I Have To Pay?!!

Nick G
02-03-2004, 01:57 AM
CLIFF NOTES AT END OF POST-

Here's the situation-

2 weeks ago my father-in-law passed away, and I was in a hurry to get to my wifes house to visit my mother-in-law. As I pulled up to her house I notice that there is little or no parking in front her home, so I parked in front of some guys house next door, and went in to talk to her. About 6 hours later, I come out to move my EP and find a Dodge Ram diesel truck parked uncomfortably close to the front bumper of my car. I then went to have a closer look, and noticed that the trailer hitch of the @sshats truck is touching my bumper :mad: I was so pissed, and ran inside and grabbed a camera to take photo's to show my insurance company (USAA) I went back to my car and snapped a photo's of the hitch's contact with my bumper, and the man's liscence plate, and the position of the vehicles.

Anyway- So, I'm taking the photo's and this old, grubby, santa claus redneck comes running out of his house yelling at me "What's going out here?!" I told him "Sir, I believe your truck hit my car" His response was - "Becuase you don't know how to F-ing park! There's a whole street open, and you parked in front of my house!" I reminded him that this was a public street and that I can park anywhere available- even in fron of his house. He then said that I was blocking his drive way, and that he couldn't pull his car in without pushing my car back with his truck. When he said this, I was flaming pissed, but I still kept my bearing, and said "What?!" He claimed to have gotten out of his truck, and pushed it into my EP- BS. He didn't give me any of his information, so I wrote down his plate number, and address, and called USAA the next day.

Here's the dealie- I talked to my agent the next day, and she said that they can file the claim, but if the guy denies hitting my car, then I am the one left footing the bill. Does anyone think this is BS besides me? So, i decided not to file the claim that day, and take some time to think about it. I would like to screw the asshole and make him pay for it, but I'm not sure if it's worth the risk of having the claim on MY record if he denies hitting my EP. Well 2 weeks later, and (USAA) called me again today. This other agaent seemed cool, and said that they can send the guy a letter askign him to respond with his insurance info so that he pays for the damage, but if he denies it then I have to pay. I think I might have to file the claim. but I don't want to be the one paying 500 bucks to fix my car, when it was the other guys fault. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I may be able to have the other guy foot the bill?

CLIFF NOTES: I parked my car in front of some guys house on a public street, and he backed his truck's hitch into bumper. After a brief arguement, I take pics and call my insurance co. (USAA) to file a claim but they said that if he denies being at fault I have to foot the bill to fix my car. Is it worth th risk to fix the bumper?

Thanx for the help.

Nick G
02-03-2004, 02:26 AM
Oh yeah-

The damage on the fron bumper is small. It's like a hlaf inch dent (noticeable from 2 feet away). Nevertheless, damage is damage, and he should have to pay for it right?

Vertigo
02-03-2004, 02:34 AM
It might be better for you to foot the bill. Only if the cost to replace the bumper is under $500 or your deductible. Also it might be a good idea so your insurance doesn't go up or they drop you for filing a claim. What can i say stuff happens. I'm sorry though. Bummer.

Nick G
02-03-2004, 04:04 AM
Anyone have a Taffetta white front bumper for sale in the Nor-Cal area? I might just go with buying a new bumper, or not filing the claim.

SiR Medic
02-03-2004, 05:34 AM
Hey, you got evidence...

Call the cops or take him to small claims court!

Good thing that wasn't me... I probably would have calmly got my nail-bat, and start to work on his truck, saying that it was "blocking my driveway".

Nick G
02-03-2004, 07:03 AM
I was thinking about the small claims court route. Is it possible to file the claim for my insurance, and If i get stuck paying for the claim, take him to small claims court for the total bill? I have a witness that heard him admit to hitting my Ep too.

SilverEpInDc
02-03-2004, 08:53 AM
MAKE HIM PAY!

k20hatch
02-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Go see how much its going to cost to fix....then decied what to do!

the JigGa mAn
02-03-2004, 09:37 AM
you should have called the cops?

fishboy
02-03-2004, 09:49 AM
were you blocking his driveway at all? if so i have no sympathy for you, but if you absolutely weren't in the least you should have gotten his info. actually you pretty much conceeded anyway since you didnt get his information and didnt call the cops.

danoonez
02-03-2004, 09:54 AM
JDM front bumper.

SiR_d1
02-03-2004, 10:01 AM
you shouldn't have to pay for shit

Graywolf
02-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Dude, post those pics, we need to see to make a decision.

STP03BlueSI
02-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by danoonez
JDM front bumper.

+1:)

ceevic
02-03-2004, 10:56 AM
After you took pictures, When he refused to give you his information, You should have told him you were calling the cops and then when they get down there, Everything will be justified. it is to late now, You waited to long.

Nick G
02-03-2004, 11:36 AM
Damn, now im kinda regretting not callin the cops. I'm not too concerned about fixing my car. I just want to make his @ss pay. I wasn't in anyway blocking his driveway. Thanks for the reply guys.

EricP3
02-03-2004, 04:37 PM
If you parked your car, and it wasnt blocking the driveway. Then how did the guy back out and hit your car?

Lucid Moments
02-03-2004, 05:34 PM
You should have called the cops then and there, if for no other reason than to have a police report on file. I think you can still file in small claims court, it should cost you about $50 - $75 to file depending on your state, but you can include the court costs in your claim, so if you win he is stuck paying everything. Of course if you loose then your are out the additional money, but that is a risk you take.

If you do decide to go the small claims court route get several PROFESSIONAL ESTIMATES IN WRITING of the cost to justify your claim amount. I had a buddy get hit in a parking lot, and the person refused to pay. The judge found in his favor, but since he couldn't back up the amount he sued for with anything more that his and his fathers personal experience the judge only awarded him $1.

speedking604
02-03-2004, 05:53 PM
i agree......you should have call the cop at that time. no matter where you park theres no good reason for someone to hit your car. either his paying for the parking spot you park still no good reason to hit your car.the only thing he can do is to phone a towing truck in order to move your car (not hitting it). you can still do something about it since you have pictures and you know the guy who hit your car.

1.first of all, call the cop and tell them that someone hit your car.then they will come to you and see the damage. after that show them the photo and tell them where the guy live or they can just run the plate number and call the owner of the truck. (you said you took a photo when the car still touching your bumper and the plate number of the truck)
2. once the owner doesnt wanna pay. the police will call it (hit and coz when your asking him his info he didn't give it to you. (that's call hit and run)

it doesn't matter if it's been 2 or 3 days since he hit your car. i have lots of experience like this and to tell you the truth,,,i always win.

just call the cop now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Si4U2NV
02-03-2004, 07:41 PM
ok herez my deal, i was driving one day making a casual right turn into a dealership and a moped smacked my back bumper, noticeble damage from 500 feet away...RAPED my fuckin bumper, we called the copz, a state trooper listens to both sides (which by the way were identical and the guy on the moped even said "I wasnt paying attention and when i saw him it was too late and i hit him" i got a ticket for improper lane change. (FUCKIN FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL BITCH)

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS JUSTICE. YOU KNOW IT, I KNOW IT. LIFES A FUCKIN WHORE.

THIS WAS A LONG TIME AGO THO, STILL GOT THE DAMAGE, HAVE NO IDEA WHA HAPPENED WIT THE INSURANCE SIDE OF THIS STORY...i should prolly call and find out...

-Mike

PS- I suck at life.

dofu
02-03-2004, 08:04 PM
thats why you should carry some kind of recorder around with you... im always prepared to catch some dumb fuk slippin if they talkin too much lol