PDA

View Full Version : JRSC install complete!!!

tpao
02-03-2004, 03:25 PM
Ladies and gentalmen...the JRSC is now complete. I have finished the install today. Time now to take it out for a spin. I will say though, the install was a pain in the ass! It wasn't hard or anything, just time consuming. Everything went in perfectly except for the by-pass valve hose. It was a little short, but a slight modification to the hose was all it took. I'll have pics up as soon as I get the change. Unfortunatly, I did not take pics while the install was taking place. I'll have a pic of the finished product.

k20hatch
02-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Woo hoo pics pics pics!!

tpao
02-09-2004, 12:58 PM
Hey there everyone. I just got my EP dynoed today. It dynoed at 192.5hp/150tq at the wheels. If you want to think of it as crank hp, then it would be about 221hp - 231hp, figuring about 15%-20% loss through transfer. The dotted line was from my first dyno with h/i/e, Nology wires, and Denso IR plugs. That reading was about 157hp at the wheels. Overall, a 35.5hp increase. I'll have the pics as soon as I get the film developed.

Click here for dyno results (http://www.hometown.aol.com/tpao9/myhomepage/myep3dyno.html)

Sorry about the quality of the scan. It's still readable though.

K-Series
02-09-2004, 01:25 PM
How much was the kit?

Steve

trk
02-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by tpao
Hey there everyone. I just got my EP dynoed today. It dynoed at 192.5hp/150tq at the wheels. If you want to think of it as crank hp, then it would be about 221hp - 231hp, figuring about 15%-20% loss through transfer. The dotted line was from my first dyno with h/i/e, Nology wires, and Denso IR plugs. That reading was about 157hp at the wheels. Overall, a 35.5hp increase. I'll have the pics as soon as I get the film developed.

Click here for dyno results (http://www.hometown.aol.com/tpao9/myhomepage/myep3dyno.html)

Sorry about the quality of the scan. It's still readable though.

Great numbers... basically similar to an rsx type s + I/H/E numbers.

I bet the power and torque are way more usable than an a2 swap...

tpao
02-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by US_Si
How much was the kit?

Steve

The kit was from www.mmrusa.com (http://www.mmrusa.com). It was $3100 shipped to my door. If you are interested, call them up (1-888-542-3626) and talk to Justin or Brian and let them know that I told you to call. I can do the install for a pretty fair price too.

oogy-boogy
02-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Nice buy...

Quick Q for you: How long did it take for the install and what would you rate it in regards to difficulty on a scale of 1-10?

Thank you!:D

tpao
02-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by oogy-boogy
Nice buy...

Quick Q for you: How long did it take for the install and what would you rate it in regards to difficulty on a scale of 1-10?

Thank you!:D

It took me about 8 hours to install. I took my time and made sure that I wasn't skipping anything or rushing anything. On a scale of 1-10 in difficulty I would have to say that it's a 3 for me. If you know what you are doing when it comes to a car and your're not scared, then it's a piece of cake. If you are not too sure about what you are doing under the hood then I would say to let some that is more experienced do it for you. As Keith at Jackson put it, if you know how to turn a wrench and do most of the work yourself (i.e. installing your intake, header, exhaust, and etc. yourself) then the install is a no brainer. I've made this offer on a earlier post, if your're interested in getting it done, I'll be more than happy to do the install for a fair price (a couple hundred).

Btrthnezr3
02-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Glad you got it hooked up...can't wait for the pics!!
Very nice numbers you're putting down, btw.

oogy-boogy
02-11-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by tpao
It took me about 8 hours to install. I took my time and made sure that I wasn't skipping anything or rushing anything. On a scale of 1-10 in difficulty I would have to say that it's a 3 for me. If you know what you are doing when it comes to a car and your're not scared, then it's a piece of cake. If you are not too sure about what you are doing under the hood then I would say to let some that is more experienced do it for you. As Keith at Jackson put it, if you know how to turn a wrench and do most of the work yourself (i.e. installing your intake, header, exhaust, and etc. yourself) then the install is a no brainer. I've made this offer on a earlier post, if your're interested in getting it done, I'll be more than happy to do the install for a fair price (a couple hundred).

Thanks for all of the info....really. It seems easy but a little time consuming. I just wanted someone to assure me of the ease of install. Hmmm.....How plans change quickly (for the better :) ).

Great post and thanks again!

ViViDPeArL
02-11-2004, 06:31 PM
geez....31 hp for 3100 bucks? man...i can't see that at all...hell you can get 40hp from a nitrious kit for 500-700 bucks and it wont harm your engine at all cuz it's not like your using it constantly. besides...a 40 shot is totally safe.

2fastcivic
02-11-2004, 06:39 PM
nice install man. good numbers too. 192whp is pretty good for an si since some rsx dynoed out close but above 192whp w/ the street version. why didnt you post this in the boost forum. alot of guys in there are waiting for the dyno chart for the jrsc.

02SilverSiHB
02-11-2004, 07:14 PM
nice numbers. I take it you're using the power card still? I think with a jackson race header, 440cc injectors, and a hondata flash you would see some really good numbers. The power curve looks good to.

And if you can, please post this in either the boost forum or dyno forum, that way when people are searching about the jrsc they will have a good idea what to expect.

And for those that say that is too much for what you got, don't let it bother you. you basically paid 100 for every horsepower you gained. not too bad imo. it's a sc, so it's not going to put out huge number like a turbo, but that is to be expected. Plus the install is a snap.

2fastcivic
02-11-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
nice numbers. I take it you're using the power card still? I think with a jackson race header, 440cc injectors, and a hondata flash you would see some really good numbers. The power curve looks good to.

And if you can, please post this in either the boost forum or dyno forum, that way when people are searching about the jrsc they will have a good idea what to expect.

And for those that say that is too much for what you got, don't let it bother you. you basically paid 100 for every horsepower you gained. not too bad imo. it's a sc, so it's not going to put out huge number like a turbo, but that is to be expected. Plus the install is a snap.

the main thing is INSTANT HORESPOWER AND TORQUE. no turbo lag or nothing.

evilep3
02-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by k20hatch
Woo hoo pics pics pics!! ditto cant wait!!! congrats on getting the sc

1 fstr si
02-11-2004, 08:55 PM
congratulations. i live in ohio and have the JRSC. havent gotten around to gettin mine dyno'd yet, mainly because of winter and snow. but, out of curiosity, where did u get it dyno'd and how much was the dyno service?

oldskool
02-12-2004, 08:35 PM
i like that torque curve, 150ft/lbs all the way!

JRSC_EP3
02-13-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by 1 fstr si
congratulations. i live in ohio and have the JRSC. havent gotten around to gettin mine dyno'd yet, mainly because of winter and snow. but, out of curiosity, where did u get it dyno'd and how much was the dyno service?

I got my dyno done at a place call Autothoriy here in Va. They charged $75 for three pulls.

JRSC_EP3
02-13-2004, 08:36 AM
Thanks to everyone for your responces. It's been a week or so now and I've had nothing but fun with it. The power is right there when I want it and the sound is just thrilling. I will have the pics up as soon as I get them or if someone around the local area has a digital camera and wants to take the pics, then the pics will come sooner.

BarracksSi
02-15-2004, 10:19 PM
Neat stuff, I'm eager to see what it's like in person sometime this year.

I take it Autothority is a good shop? I remember finding their site through Hondata's dealer page.

I also will most likely have more free weekends this summer than I expected earlier, so hopefully I can get in some track time at SCCA races or something like that.

boostedsi0813
02-23-2004, 04:44 AM
Track numbers should be pretty good. I'm sure you could get good enough traction on azenis, or something around that calliber of tire.

I'm also interested in how much the SC will help on the road when a GT or GTI makes an attempt at putting an ep in its place.

Congrats on the awesome mod. If I get enough positive feedback on the JRSC, I will more than likely go with that rather than motor swap.

02SilverSiHB
02-23-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by boostedsi0813

Congrats on the awesome mod. If I get enough positive feedback on the JRSC, I will more than likely go with that rather than motor swap.
but I thought you said swap was the only way to go :D

boostedsi0813
02-23-2004, 12:03 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the JRSC isn't rendering 1st and 2nd completely useless without the aid of slicks. The traction problems were the main reason I was leaning towards a swap. Plus, superchargers sound nice:D .

SilverEpInDc
02-23-2004, 12:24 PM
I took a ride in Tony's car (JRSC_EP3) and it is nice very nice! Fast as hell and awesome to look at... and tony is the nicest guy!

weltall
02-25-2004, 10:29 PM
whoot whoot man how you like the full time boost

(i got the greddy kit not much lag but adjustable):D

TravTrav
02-26-2004, 11:47 AM
i could drop a type s cylinder head in and flash my chip and prolly get the same horse if u think about it, intake and exhaust, our car really doesnt need headers, so yeah and after u do that, save up for turd-bo

02SilverSiHB
02-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by TravTrav
i could drop a type s cylinder head in and flash my chip and prolly get the same horse if u think about it, intake and exhaust, our car really doesnt need headers, so yeah and after u do that, save up for turd-bo

type s head isn't exactly a striaght swap, and still doesn't put out the same power as the actual type s engine. If you want to do that, then go ahead...not easily reversable for someone that may not plan on keeping the car forever. IMO, the JRSC at stock boost level with a hondata flash/injectors/relocted map sensor is the perfect mod for me. The power when I need it, easy to install versus a type s head...and not having to worry about what might have happened to the type s head. And when I feel like getting rid of the car, take it off just as easy as putting it on...and sell it.
Oh, and have more torque than a type s

TravTrav
02-26-2004, 06:22 PM
whateva y0

you know how bout u spend 3.2k on a damn supercharger.... yeah ok.... what kind of numbers would that put down at 1/4 mile? b/c correct me if im wrong i guess but a straight rsx swap would be just as fast. :yellm: think about it, if u could go on ebay grab one for 700 bucks and flash ur chip for 600 bucks, thats 1.2.k and u wouldnt have to spend money on dyno time and ur at just about 40 more hp. yeah and low 14's with bolt on's. yeah i think that StupidCharger was a waste of 3k. why cause u could get that turbo kit... cybernation for 600 dollars more and its 280 hp to the wheels and 220 torque... thats madd hot y0. yeah there is no way in hell i spend that much money, im glad u like it but not for me. :p

<3
ep4lyfe

trk
02-26-2004, 06:28 PM
whateva y0

... u could go on ebay grab one for 700 bucks ...

in your own words, "whateva y0"

02SilverSiHB
02-26-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by trk
in your own words, "whateva y0"
LOL, no kidding...finding a type s head for 700 on ebay...good luck..not too mention good luck receiving it and good luck it's in good condition. I know it can happen, but that's a once in a while thing.

Then by the way this guy talks...I highly doubt he could install it.

TravTrav
02-26-2004, 08:37 PM
i also work at acura guys, i cant get it done for 2k 2.5k was the estimate =] if need be =]

i dont know u can call me a shit talker, but i just dont see the worth in that super charger.

but if your happy, im happy, im glad u have an ep3 y0, and i hope to see ur work at the meet.

02SilverSiHB
02-26-2004, 08:41 PM
i also work at acura guys, i cant get it done for 2k =] if need be =]

i dont know u can call me a shit talker, but i just dont see the worth in that super charger.
you can't or can get it done for 2k? even if you get it done for 2k, you still have to buy the parts and you still won't have the power of this jrsc car we are talking about....remember the type s has better internals than ours. You'll be seeing about 160-165whp imo with the type s swap. no one saying don't do it, but your arguement is weak. Do NA if you want, it's not forever one.

TravTrav
02-26-2004, 08:51 PM
why not get a turbo for that money tho?

02SilverSiHB
02-26-2004, 08:57 PM
why not get a turbo for that money tho?
Because to some people all the power in the world isn't what they want....again, with a sc, you can just bolt it on very easily and have less maintenance...it's more involved with a turbo. No one is saying that the jrsc is the best power ever...it's just what some people need...power as soon as they hit the throttle..it's there when they need/want it. They don't have to worry about oil lines like a turbo. They don't have to worry about blow off valves, etc...with the jrsc, just slap it on, put the power card on, you're done.

esmith13
02-26-2004, 08:59 PM
becuase a SC is more versitile and lower maintenance....

i speak from experience.

Eric

TravTrav
02-26-2004, 09:04 PM
ok i see, but my dad runs a garage so, i can see the difference, maintanence can be a pain to some people, but i have a garage i can work at so yeah, sry for being such a pain guys but yeah i guess i speak with a different view. hope i didnt seem like an ass, but yeah im more enlightened now. thx. =]

esmith13
02-26-2004, 09:11 PM
hey, don't get me wrong -- I agree with you - I have a turbo afterall...

But not everyone thinks that way, that's all...

Eric

boostedsi0813
02-27-2004, 12:18 AM
If you have any sense, listen to what 02SilverHB and esmith13 have to say. They are both older, and know a lot on the subject. If they say something is going to be a pain in the ass, I'd take their word on it and consider other options if thought needed.

As for a highly modded type-s swap, you might get better peek hp, but the sc i think has a much more useful powerband. The type s is pretty mild till 5800rpm compared to the SC having 150lb/ft of torque from a little over idle.

Mike, please tell me you are boosting the ep soon. Mmm... an ep with good looks and power. Alex and I would gladly give you a hand, then maybe jack it in your sleep.:D Give us a holler if you're ever in SA.

JRSC_EP3
02-27-2004, 07:30 AM
SilverEP (Chris) - Thanks for the post! Thanks for the comments!

A type-s head does work on the stock EP block but the problem you run into is that the exhaust and intake ports are about 0.3mm larger than the stock head. If you do the swap you will need to also swap to the type-s intake manifold and exhaust manifold (duh!) but you will need to get custome piping down because the exhaust manifold is longer than the EP manifold. That is all according to Skunk2.

I went with the sc because of the fact that my car is still my daily driver and the maint involved with turbos is just something that I didn't want to deal with. It's good power from start to finish and the best thing of all, there's no lag. According to Jackson, 440cc injectors would not really increase the power all that much because of the power card. The power card is setup to work with the stock injectors, so it won't be able to compensate for larger injectors.

As far as the Hondata, the agressive cam timing would not be a good idea for a sc setup and would problably cause some detonation. With a supercharged setup you want pretty much want to limit the amount of timing. According to Hondata, they say to use their ECU upgrade "at your own risk" with forced induction. Their setup is mainly for all motor apps. However, I was told that Jaskson is working on something with Hondata for their system. Still investigating that.

fsugatorbait
02-27-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by JRSC_EP3
SilverEP (Chris) - Thanks for the post! Thanks for the comments!

A type-s head does work on the stock EP block but the problem you run into is that the exhaust and intake ports are about 0.3mm larger than the stock head. If you do the swap you will need to also swap to the type-s intake manifold and exhaust manifold (duh!) but you will need to get custome piping down because the exhaust manifold is longer than the EP manifold. That is all according to Skunk2.

I went with the sc because of the fact that my car is still my daily driver and the maint involved with turbos is just something that I didn't want to deal with. It's good power from start to finish and the best thing of all, there's no lag. According to Jackson, 440cc injectors would not really increase the power all that much because of the power card. The power card is setup to work with the stock injectors, so it won't be able to compensate for larger injectors.

As far as the Hondata, the agressive cam timing would not be a good idea for a sc setup and would problably cause some detonation. With a supercharged setup you want pretty much want to limit the amount of timing. According to Hondata, they say to use their ECU upgrade "at your own risk" with forced induction. Their setup is mainly for all motor apps. However, I was told that Jaskson is working on something with Hondata for their system. Still investigating that.

Any idea on when Jackson Racing will be releasing the race version with hondata flash?

02SilverSiHB
02-27-2004, 10:46 AM

????? a type s head swap...not block...you don't need the intake manifold from the type s...especially since we have the same one. As for the exhaust manifold..why? Like I just said, it's the head, not the block. Besides...the ep exhaust manifold/header, will bolt to any type s engine...it's the part that bolts to the down pipe that is different...not too mention, yeah, it may be slightly longer.

According to Jackson, 440cc injectors would not really increase the power all that much because of the power card. The power card is setup to work with the stock injectors, so it won't be able to compensate for larger injectors.
that's why you need hondata ecu reflash..just look at what happened to the type s when they did that...440cc injectors, hondata flash, relocated map sensor

Like I said above...a hondata flash...meaning one made for the sc'd ep...not the NA flash :rolleyes:

You didn't actually think I was talking about the NA ecu reflash were you? hahahaaa...man o man...anyway, here's what hondata does for a sc'd type s...once they come out with a flash, I'm getting that with the sc and the 440cc injectors
http://www.hondata.com/k20a2_jrsc_release.html

JRSC reflash, RC 440cc injectors, and MAP relocator, $795
Look how much more solid and better the power curve is...
This is the jrsc type s, versus the jrsc type s with hondata tuning
http://www.hondata.com/images/rsx_jrsc_dyno.jpg

Here's a comparison of stock to hondata tuned sc'd type s
http://www.hondata.com/images/race_vs_stock_dyno.jpg

Do you understand now?

02SilverSiHB
02-27-2004, 10:48 AM
If you have any sense, listen to what 02SilverHB and esmith13 have to say. They are both older, and know a lot on the subject. If they say something is going to be a pain in the ass, I'd take their word on it and consider other options if thought needed.

As for a highly modded type-s swap, you might get better peek hp, but the sc i think has a much more useful powerband. The type s is pretty mild till 5800rpm compared to the SC having 150lb/ft of torque from a little over idle.

Mike, please tell me you are boosting the ep soon. Mmm... an ep with good looks and power. Alex and I would gladly give you a hand, then maybe jack it in your sleep.:D Give us a holler if you're ever in SA.
I still plan to getting the jrsc :D

boostedsi0813
02-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Is there any word on them fixing the factory defect?

fsugatorbait
02-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Is there any word on them fixing the factory defect?

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=31333

JRSC_EP3
03-07-2004, 04:19 AM
Pic has been posted in the following thread...

TPao's JRSC Movie (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32038)

Thanks to SilveEpInDC. Take a look and lemme know what you think.

EPHatchgirl
03-07-2004, 09:37 AM
YEAH, definitely, more pics and video!!

**Moved to Boost/Performance forum**