PDA

View Full Version : K20a3 Durability With Hondata Redline

GODZILLA
02-03-2004, 04:14 PM
HOW MANY REVS CAN THE K20A3 TAKE WITHOUT GRENADING? ALSO, HAVING 7700 REVS TO PLAY WITH(DAMN THAT SOUNDS GOOD), DO YOU THINK ENGINE DAMAGE WILL OCCUR IN THE LONG HAUL? I WAN'T HONDATA SOMETHING BAD, BUT I DON'T WANT THE ENGINE BLOWIN UP LIKE ANNA NICOLE SMITH. I'M ALSO CONCERNED ABOUT VOIDING MY WARRANTY. ANY BODY HAVE SOME INFO ON THE SUBJECT(AND YES I'VE READ ALL THE ITEMS AT HONDATA.COM). I WONDER IF ANYONE HAS DONE ANY LONG-TERM TESTING ON THE K20A3 AT ELEVATED REVS? THANKS ALL EP HATCH BRETHREN FOR ANY INFO ON THE SUBJECT. ONE LAST THING, SOME PEOPLE ON HERE SAY THE REDLINE IS 8100 WHILE OTHERS SAY 7700(ALONG WITH HONDATA). WHICH IS IT? THANKS, HOPE TO SEE YA ON THE OTHER SIDE OF 7600 REVS SOOOOOOON!:eek: :D

Mighty_Mouse
02-03-2004, 04:18 PM
1. Search for "hondata"
2. Search for "caps lock"
3. Enjoy newfound knowledge

BlairSpeed
02-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Hondata voids the warranty, soooweeeeee!

k20hatch
02-03-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
2. Search for "caps lock"

I enjoyed that...lol!

Civicvtec1ps
02-03-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by BlairSpeed
Hondata voids the warranty, soooweeeeee!
No. Hondata doesnt void warranty.
Use Search button everyone.

Siman
02-03-2004, 05:16 PM
the bottem end is capable of about 9500+ rpms....the head on the other hand is not so. The valves and the springs and retainers cannot keep up with those engine speeds...just get a type-s head to be safe...or just a type-s motor;)

DavidT
02-03-2004, 08:16 PM
Check out my Hondata vids...the speak for themselves. Right click and save target as:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid99/pee0836b302ea574abcd3eb26b1324f14/f9efd9f7.mpg

And this here:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid99/pbbf807b6c08fd29614036e83aa576d1e/f9efd60e.mpg

Also, check out my post about Hondata. http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28050&highlight=Hondata That post will speak for itself too :D I love my Hondata reflash and sware by it. As far as the bottom end being able to handle the revs, you should be more worried about the valvetrain. ;) There has been people here with Hondata on their vehicles for close to or over 10k of abuse and they're running great (Denmah is one) and there is a guy on here who has done an a2 headswap onto his a3 block and does 8k all day long with no probs.

KingGreg86
02-03-2004, 08:33 PM
How expensive would it be to get the head and have someone install it?

DyNastySi
02-03-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by KingGreg86
How expensive would it be to get the head and have someone install it?

yeah

GODZILLA
02-03-2004, 08:47 PM
THANKS BROS.:D

02NJHondaep3
02-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Search or no search you all didnt answer the question. How much will it wear out the bottom end (well 9K limit) and/or the head? Will it wear out anything else?. Everyones so quick to buy this hondata but dont realize that it make your engine work harder with no re- enforcement and we still dont know the reliability of the K-Series. Granted Honda's are reliable but its a new world here.

Zero Three Si
02-03-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by 02NJHondaep3
Search or no search you all didnt answer the question. How much will it wear out the bottom end (well 9K limit) and/or the head? Will it wear out anything else?. Everyones so quick to buy this hondata but dont realize that it make your engine work harder with no re- enforcement and we still dont know the reliability of the K-Series. Granted Honda's are reliable but its a new world here.

First off....you want LONG TERM testing...but you forget the K series engine has only been out 2 years so far...

Somebody has to test it....if you don't have balls...grow some...

If you have a wife...take your balls out of her purse...hehehehehe

:D

Peking
02-03-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Zero Three Si
First off....you want LONG TERM testing...but you forget the K series engine has only been out 2 years so far...

Somebody has to test it....if you don't have balls...grow some...

If you have a wife...take your balls out of her purse...hehehehehe

:D

:banana:

LMAO :D

I SELL HONDAS
02-03-2004, 09:51 PM
Just cuz your motor will withstand 9-9500 rpm doesent me you should do it.
without modding the is no addional power up there, in that range.
also rpm = Ruins Peoples Motors

Zero Three Si
02-03-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by I SELL HONDAS

Man seriously...STFU

Go yank somebody elses 3rd leg...

You damn car sales men are all the same. The EP was made to be driven like a pimp...not like a Buick LeSebre.

redronin22
02-03-2004, 10:05 PM
18k miles w/hondata. no probs still dynoing strong as well.

drdre1443
02-03-2004, 10:16 PM
dude, thats so wrong!

what does his profession as a car salesman have to do with his INTELLIGENT response? I also resent that b/c I used to sell VW's and I saw quite a few turbo'ed cars and hopped up rides while I was there; sometimes i was scratching my head as to how the cars held together with some of the crazy things people do to them.

His response makes a very good point. Honda decided to give the S2000 a 9K redline and no other honda that high. The RSX get up there too. But if essentially the Si motor is the base RSX motor, and Honda wouldn't put over 9K RPM's on the UPGRADED engine in the RSX, what makes you think its safe long-term to do that to the Si?

Sometimes common sense can go a long ways.....Think about it. Stock Si+an extra 2K RPM's=DEATH.....either spend the money needed to beef up the engine to run those high RPM's or just settle for a lower RPM limit.

you gotta pay to play

denmah
02-03-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by drdre1443

you gotta pay to play

we all did, we all paid 600 dollars to be able to beat the redline relentlessly past the stock tach.

ive had hondata on for 10k, and if something if something was going to happen, it sure as hell would have happened by now. im not exactly light on engines.

Mighty_Mouse
02-03-2004, 11:17 PM
But if essentially the Si motor is the base RSX motor, and Honda wouldn't put over 9K RPM's on the UPGRADED engine in the RSX, what makes you think its safe long-term to do that to the Si?

No offense, but buy yourself a clue. We're talking about the Hondata reflash here? Guess what rpm the fuel-cut is at?

enecks
02-03-2004, 11:38 PM
*raises hand eagerly*
I know, I know! 7700rpm!!
/hearkening back to 5th grade. except we never had any classes about cars....

Mighty_Mouse
02-03-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by enecks
*raises hand eagerly*
I know, I know! 7700rpm!!
/hearkening back to 5th grade. except we never had any classes about cars....

Someone gets a gold star.

The car salesmen aren't doing much to dispell the rumors surrouding their profession.

ep3hatchattack
02-03-2004, 11:56 PM
dude, thats so wrong!

what does his profession as a car salesman have to do with his INTELLIGENT response?

You know whats really wrong, saying stupid shit to established members on your 2nd post.............

Zero-Three: Just disregard it, he doesnt know better....... but you will learn right Drdre, or take your ass back to Compton with NWA... ;)

Mighty Mouse: Fuck you for your pm, but i dont take it to harsh, you made some half ass worthy comments here so your not a bad guy in my book..............

Zero----------- Im still waiting on Dobbs man.........

ep_nezay
02-04-2004, 12:21 AM
At those revs(7700) your engine will be fine. Its only 600 extra rpms. Everyone acts like its 2k higher or something. It can handle 200 more rpms, but for what? It wouldnt make any power so it would be useless. Doug @ hondata knows what he is doing when it comes to safety and durability on motors, which includes lots of dyno time for testing his products.

To answer your question about the rpms, its 7700rpm, but our tachs show 8100rpm because they are not accurate.

rs_1101
02-04-2004, 01:06 AM
dude, thats so wrong!

Originally posted by I SELL HONDAS

no offense man but

http://thispageintentionallyleftblank.net/images/misl/shut_the_fuck_up.jpg

to each their own man. hondata has shown that all valve damage has been caused through misshifts. theres nothing wrong with hondata and nothing wrong with revving. hondas are meant to do it. also i disagree. theres alot to be gained by revving higher. more power for one. even if you hold the SAME power, you still have a much larger rev band to work with.
however, whoever started this thread. im sure youll research this ALOT before you actually go through with this, hondata is not a mod for the faint of heart or the technologically and mechanically disabled. you CAN hurt your car and hondata tells you this.

sells hondas: alot of people here are hondata'd and i dont think any of them have had problems, before coming to that opinion id suggest you do some reading. im sure as a honda seller, you know that hondas have been historically high revving cars.

thread starter: please lay off the caps, its the same as yelling in someones ear and im sure you dont do that on a daily basis man. its aite tho we can all change. :D

Az02Si
02-04-2004, 01:30 AM
Ill make this short and sweet...Ive had it for over 30k miles and i run in HPDE's(do the math,the fucking thing sits at 7500 most of the time) and its FINE.Even daily driving i beat the shit out of the car.Compression is fine,and the car runs great.If you havent experienced it or dont HAVE IT,then SHUT UP about it!!!! You have NO ROOM or expierence to talk from!.BTW,my fuel cut was 7950 on the dyno here ;),and my cars fine like i said.Keep up on maintence and the car will be reliable as hell.Moral of the story..If you havent been in a car with it or OWN one,shut the hell up about reliability and have fun with your 6800 fuel cut while myself and others rev to 7700+,and have fun on a daily basis.:eek:

Az02Si
02-04-2004, 01:32 AM
and why the hell is 9k even being discussed? none of us with the a3 are going that high,so i could give 2 bloody SHITS if the a3 will hold up to those RPM,as long as mine takes 7950 im happy.

STP03BlueSI
02-04-2004, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by GODZILLA
THANKS BROS.:D

Caps lock is still on...:D

drdre1443
02-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Az02Si
and why the hell is 9k even being discussed? none of us with the a3 are going that high,so i could give 2 bloody SHITS if the a3 will hold up to those RPM,as long as mine takes 7950 im happy.

that's what I was commenting on, someone who posted above me was asking about 9,000-9,500 RPM's.....I guess I need to start using this quote option more often before I feel even less welcome here.

And to those of you who are about to post to tell me to not speak out of turn before knowing as much as you do about Honda engines, i beat you. I don't know everything about them. What I DO know is engines aren't designed to rev that high(9K-9.5K) without major modifications.

To those of you who like to take your anger out on strangers on an internet website: So be it, you can be smarter, you can be bigger, you can be stronger, you can have a bigger dick, too. Congrats!

drdre1443
02-04-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
Someone gets a gold star.

The car salesmen aren't doing much to dispell the rumors surrouding their profession.

So I guess b/c I don't know everything about a Honda engine....it means I like to rip people off, right?

ooooo yeeeahhh ....THAT rumor....

andy
02-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Some of yous need to summer, donna. (say it slowly ;) )

One *key* thing that no one pointed out about Hondata is that - it's
in your hands. You don't *have* to rev to 7700 every time you shift.
One of the greatest things about the reflash is partial throttle
driving (i.e. daily, in traffic driving) and how much more improved
it is.

The only thing that scares me about having the reflash is a misshift
when I'm up at 7.7K, but I could just as easly misshift at 6.8K and
cause the same problems.

Az02Si
02-04-2004, 11:58 AM
that's what I was commenting on, someone who posted above me was asking about 9,000-9,500 RPM's.....I guess I need to start using this quote option more often before I feel even less welcome here.

And to those of you who are about to post to tell me to not speak out of turn before knowing as much as you do about Honda engines, i beat you. I don't know everything about them. What I DO know is engines aren't designed to rev that high(9K-9.5K) without major modifications.

To those of you who like to take your anger out on strangers on an internet website: So be it, you can be smarter, you can be bigger, you can be stronger, you can have a bigger dick, too. Congrats! If your taking what i said personally fine thats on you,it wasnt meant to be that way...I just see to many half assed comments that have no truth to back them up on this site.Thats like me telling one of the boosted guys his motors done for when i know nothing qbout his setup or the tuning done to make it reliable(as reliable as it can get) All im saying is that someone wihtout the Hondata has NO PLACE to tell any of us that our cars wont take the extra revs....Mine sure has and ive driven that thing EVERYWHERE,and logged 43K so far.We just need more people to speak from expierence around here,and not make irrelevant comments like"it wont take 9-9500"We all know this,and i doubt any of us were planning on trying it.:)

NemesisITR
02-04-2004, 12:36 PM
I misshifted three times on the track on the same day before Hondata.

I hit 8500 rpm, dealer saw it on the ecu, and not a damn thing went wrong. Thats why I got Hondata. If my car can handle 8500 three times in a row on the same day and not blow up then it can handle 7700 all day long.

Now for long term, I think it will be a fact that a Hondata motor will not last as long, but one stock motor may not last as long as the next. I think the motor will last up to at least 100,000 miles but up to 200,000 ????? who knows, by then I will, hopefully, have my Type R motor:D

Peking
02-04-2004, 03:20 PM

To those of you who like to take your anger out on strangers on an internet website: So be it, you can be smarter, you can be bigger, you can be stronger, you can have a bigger dick, too. Congrats!

Hey don't sweat it to much. I have been here for a while now, and still seem to getting sh*t from time to time. All of us have. Just don't take anything to personal. We are all here to learn and share. You were sharing your thoughts, nothing wrong with that. It is hard to see how people are going to react to you. As you can see, from the little you posted. Grew into so much more. Your right on some folks taking out anger on others. Just happens sometimes, just got to brush it off. Most of us are just messing around.

So I guess b/c I don't know everything about a Honda engine....it means I like to rip people off, right?
ooooo yeeeahhh ....THAT rumor....

We all know that it is a job, and you are just trying to make money. We all are, so again don't take that to heart.

His response makes a very good point. Honda decided to give the S2000 a 9K redline and no other honda that high. The RSX get up there too. But if essentially the Si motor is the base RSX motor, and Honda wouldn't put over 9K RPM's on the UPGRADED engine in the RSX, what makes you think its safe long-term to do that to the Si?
Sometimes common sense can go a long ways.....Think about it. Stock Si+an extra 2K RPM's=DEATH.....either spend the money needed to beef up the engine to run those high RPM's or just settle for a lower RPM limit.you gotta pay to play

Yes use common sense, then again you should keep in mind that tuning is/has been a way of life. The true test to seeing what can last. What performs. Hondata has been making flash programs for quite some time, there are lots of folks who use it. Just about everyone will agree any problem comes from driver error. Also just cause you can, doesn't mean you should. So if you take her to redline every chance you get, more power to you :D

Nothing lasts forever, parts will ware down and need to be replaced. Even if I can't get a A2. I will be more than happy to get another A3.

GODZILLA
02-04-2004, 03:21 PM
I'M GOIN WITH THE MAJORITY. LOTS OF GOOD INFORMATION. MY EP HAS GOT A CASE OF THE SERIOUS BLANDS AND HONDATA SOUNDS LIKE THE RIGHT MEDICINE TO SPICE IT UP. FROM THE REPLIES, I KNOW IT DOES'NT MAKE THE EP A MISSILE. BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE IT MAKES THE WINDSHIELD WITH WHEELS A KICK IN THE DICK TO DRIVE. THATS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT! oh, shit theres them damn cap locks. it won't happen again i don't think.:D ;)

Peking
02-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by GODZILLA
I'M GOIN WITH THE MAJORITY. LOTS OF GOOD INFORMATION. MY EP HAS GOT A CASE OF THE SERIOUS BLANDS AND HONDATA SOUNDS LIKE THE RIGHT MEDICINE TO SPICE IT UP. FROM THE REPLIES, I KNOW IT DOES'NT MAKE THE EP A MISSILE. BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE IT MAKES THE WINDSHIELD WITH WHEELS A KICK IN THE DICK TO DRIVE. THATS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT! oh, shit theres them damn cap locks. it won't happen again i don't think.:D ;)

Good for you :) From all the positive feedback that I have read here and on other forums. The flash seems to be a good mod.

02NJHondaep3
02-04-2004, 09:09 PM
well not dumb but you're so quick to jump on everyones throats.

First off I meant to say the bottom end was tested and is built to last up to 9K. I'll admit my fault. I GOT THAT FROM THE LINKED POST I READ FROM USING SEARCH.

I dunno where u people got 9K redline.

I have balls but I'm young and working hard for my shit so fuck you.

I'm not going to blow $500-600 on this shit to try it and come here and say yea its reliable or not. I want to know before i use that money.

Yeah the K-series is 2 years old. Hondata may have experience with Bs and Hs. I know that now. Shit I'm new to the tuning scene, which is why i research and ask before I buy.

Thank you for some people who give honest answers. What does salesman have to do with this?! Who cares you're all off topic now. And YOUR FUCKING CAPS JOKE WASNT FUNNY.
sorry needed to vent.

rs_1101
02-04-2004, 09:17 PM
hahahahahahaha... well id imagine its safe to say that hondata is okay AS long as you know how to drive.

TriniTurismo
02-05-2004, 12:00 PM
First of all, everyone stop your lil dum battles. And Tell him what he wants to know, Gees. I am also going for the Hondata ECU, If u keep pver reving any car, of course after a while something is goin to go wrong, If you know how to drive and not drive like an ass, then go ahead and get it, and use it when u have to or here and there, I perfer a Type-S swap cause it goes to 8100-8200rpm, That is sweet, but money comes into play. How was the hondata ecu, what-$595.00 or something like that, If something ever was to go wrong with ur car just swap out the ECU and put ur stock one back in. My friend has a Type-S RSX and he bought a Type-R RSX "Integra" ECU from Japan, and it started his car up for 15 sec then turns it off, It did the same thing with my car i got all happy then it turned off, All u need for that ECU was some KEY setup, i am not sure he knows it better than me, Anyways i got some TYPE-S pistons if anyone wants them, Just make me and offer, Also come with Rings, hooks right up to stock Rods. Just email me for Details, at TriniTurismo@aol.com ,,,IT has 3800 miles on them. INstalled type-R pistons 11.5compression.

4g63dsm
02-05-2004, 04:12 PM
you can't just swap your old ecu back in if somehting goes wrong. Hondata flashes your stock ecu and then sends it back to you.