PDA

View Full Version : Best grease for a spring job?

Ty's Si
02-03-2004, 10:09 PM
Looks like me and DJ Addicted will be installing some Teins on my EP this weekend and so I wanted to know if anyone had a recommendation as to which type and brand of grease to use when lubing. I'm having some creaking and slight popping right now and so when I do the Teins, I want to do it correctly from the beginning and make sure I don't have too much of that anymore.

Anyone used a certain brand or type of grease that has proven to be really good at preventing creaks and popping?

Also, will a Pep Boys/Autozone/Advance Auto Parts store sell it and where should it be applied? To the bump stops, the strut housing, the strut itself, etc.?

Peking
02-03-2004, 10:21 PM
lithium greese :) You should be able to find it at those stores, or Wal-Mart.

Ty's Si
02-03-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Peking
lithium greese :) You should be able to find it at those stores, or Wal-Mart.

The spray on kind or the kind that comes in a can or is loaded in a grease gun? I figure I need something really thick and nasty.

Peking
02-03-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Ty's Si
The spray on kind or the kind that comes in a can or is loaded in a grease gun? I figure I need something really thick and nasty.

The one you load in a greese gun, even though I just dip my figures in it :D

This is very thick and nasty :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/pacf34d535eb4615f30511191b3b8827f/faa7b0de.jpg

This pic will come up, imagestation is acting funny today.

Ty's Si
02-03-2004, 11:03 PM
Hmm...permission forbidden. I'll check back tomorrow. Thanks Peking.

Where on the assembly should I put it? Top, bottom or both? Between the bump stops and the spring, between the bump stop and the strut housing (metal) or both?

I'm assuming those black things at the top of the spring assembly is the bump stop, correct?

Peking
02-04-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Ty's Si
Hmm...permission forbidden. I'll check back tomorrow. Thanks Peking.

Where on the assembly should I put it? Top, bottom or both? Between the bump stops and the spring, between the bump stop and the strut housing (metal) or both?

I'm assuming those black things at the top of the spring assembly is the bump stop, correct?

Originally posted by Peking
LOL, have fun and be safe. Also someone might disagree with me here. But also when putting the springs back on, compress the springs as much as you can. And tighten the bolt that keeps it together, so when the springs settle back to normal it will fit snug with no room to move under light load. Which could also cause a sound.

Also I found this a few pages back...

All that on the left is what I was talking about. You can find the oem greese all in where 2,7,9,14.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13S5S01_B28.gif

dchu
02-04-2004, 02:29 PM
I used Mystik Multi-Purpose grease that I bought from Pep-Boys. It's a real thick light brown colored grease. According to the company website it is designed for high-load and slow-medium speed bearings. Sounds a lot like the strut bearings. Here's the product info http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/591095.pdf .

Ty's Si
02-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Awesome guys, this should help a lot.