PDA

View Full Version : EP oil consumption AFTER break-in?

bigace
02-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Whats up guys -- does anybody's EP still consume oil? Mine has 20,000 miles...I did a full oil change 2500 miles ago, I noticed it was running a bit rough, and yesterday I poured in and it ate 1/2 a quart no problem.. .thoughts?

Ace

Dunrick
02-04-2004, 12:05 PM
how low was it before you added oil?

where between the two dots?

. <- 1qrt -> .

chet
02-04-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Dunrick

. <- 1qrt -> .

I'm to the point where I check mine about every 800 to 1,000 miles (especially since the turbo). It definitely uses oil, just keep an eye on it and check it regularly. WOuld be a good idea I think:)

NemesisITR
02-04-2004, 12:27 PM
I have a little less than 18k now and Ive noticed mine eating oil, 1qrt per oil change, too. Dealer wants to look keep track off it right now. I think it was eating oil before Hondata too. Im sure with the inc redline its eating even more. Probably normal since my R would eat oil when I consistantly ran up to redline.

bigace
02-05-2004, 01:40 AM
It was about a quart low...Anyone else experiencing this? More importantly, anyone NOT experiencing oil consumtion after the break in period? I need to know if my seals are fucked, etc. Thanks!

Ace

. <- 1qrt -> .

2.0L Monster
02-05-2004, 05:52 AM
I don't know if I don't burn any, but it doesn't go below to bottom dot.

Dunrick
02-05-2004, 06:43 AM
Yeah it seems like the car eats up oil pretty good. Mine did more so at breakin. I'm at 14k miles now. I would check it once a week. It gets really thirsty under 10k miles. It will still eat it up a little bit after 10K aswell, depends on how you drive it. If you redline it 4-5 times a week, it will slowly go down. I probably redline about 8-10 times a week.

Surprise
02-05-2004, 09:54 AM
1 quart every 3000 miles is not considered to be excessive oil consumption. Most dealers wont do any thing till you reach 1 quart every 1000 miles. If you want bad oil consumption look at the H22's.

bigace
02-05-2004, 10:58 AM
Hm I see, sounds somewhat reassuring.. .I guess its normal, especially since while I'm not very hard on the car as in drag racing, I do run thru the canyons on a daily basis, and it tends to include some high RPM driving.. ..I guess its normal...guys, if u can, keep chiming in on with your own experiences... my car may not eat more than 1 quart, but it seems to go low enough to effect performance...

ace

Yeah it seems like the car eats up oil pretty good. Mine did more so at breakin. I'm at 14k miles now. I would check it once a week. It gets really thirsty under 10k miles. It will still eat it up a little bit after 10K aswell, depends on how you drive it. If you redline it 4-5 times a week, it will slowly go down. I probably redline about 8-10 times a week.

Dunrick
02-05-2004, 11:18 AM
If you are hitting the canyons daily, then that is why. That is rough on the car. Drive safe man.

bigace
02-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Hm yeah I guess you're right. I live in the Valley of LA and everyone else I know like my girl lives on the Los Angeles side, across Mulholland Drive...there's just too many badass roads on the way there, and i like to make the most of em :) I guess upper RPM driving will always burn oil, then? How do most of you drive, sedate, Civic DX style most of the time unless you get into some stoplight shit or are at a track event?

Ace

If you are hitting the canyons daily, then that is why. That is rough on the car. Drive safe man.

Gearhead Geek
02-05-2004, 01:17 PM
Well, when I first got my car, it was eatin oil like a sonofabitch. I'm up to 9400-orso miles, and it still eats some, about a quart + 1/2 every oil change, (so aproximately a quart every 2000 miles, and yes, the needle on my tach spends most of it's time towards the right side of the dial ;) ). At first I was worried and the dealership wanted me to watch it, however, come to find out when I started my engine's class this semester, that the SAE states that a quart every 800 miles is acceptable for a motor, so, so long as you're not putting in a quart in less than 800 miles, you really have nothing to worry about (I also went and talked to a different tech at the dealership after finding this out, and he confirmed it, especially for the K-Series motors).
Side note: Was looking through my engine's book, and found a formula to calculate acceptable oil consumption, just thought I'd add it in:

(1.82 * Quarts Used) / (Operating horsepower * Total hours of operation) = lb/hp/hr
The acceptable range is usually 0.002 to 0.004

(I realize this may be somewhat useless to most of you but I'm sure there will be a few who it can help out)

todaCspec
02-06-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Gearhead Geek
that the SAE states that a quart every 800 miles is acceptable for a motor, so, so long as you're not putting in a quart in less than 800 miles, you really have nothing to worry about (I also went and talked to a different tech at the dealership after finding this out, and he confirmed it, especially for the K-Series motors).

Would a thick grade of oil be better, say 5W30 or running Synthetic?

STP03BlueSI
02-06-2004, 07:24 AM
i know my car will burn oil at the track. Mostly because i am running it hard, and running a engine hard will burn something.:)

Gearhead Geek
02-06-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by todaCspec
Would a thick grade of oil be better, say 5W30 or running Synthetic?

Well, I really couldn't tell ya. I personally stick with the Honda (Exxon/Mobil) 5w20, and, after talking to a few techs at the dealership near me, I've come to believe what the weight ratings tell us, that a 5W30 would be a bit too thin once up to operating temperature. However, depending on which synthetic it is, it may be ok. I've seen a few posts on here of people saying they run synthetic 5W30 with no problems, and it very well may be that it's ok, but, as I said, I really can't say for sure.

GODZILLA
02-06-2004, 02:32 PM
MY EP USED OIL LIKE SOMEBODY WITH A BAD CASE OF THE RUNS USES TP UNTIL ABOUT 7500 MILES(WE'RE TALKIN AROUND A QUART EVERY 2K MILES.) I WAS SERIOUSLY PISSED AND WEN'T AND SPOKE WITH THE DEALERSHIP. THEY SAID THEY WANTED ME TO COME IN EVERY 200 MILES FOR THE NEXT 1000 MILES SO THEY COULD MONITOR THE OIL CONSUMPTION. YEA, I TOTALLY TRUST THEM, SO I DECIDED TO CHECK IT MYSELF EVERY 200 MILES FOR THE NEXT 2K. THE OIL CONSUMPTION SLOWLY GOT BETTER AND WITH 16500 ON THE CLOCK NOW IT IS BASICALLY NILL. BTW, I SWITCHED TO 5W-30 SYNTHETIC AT 3500 MILES. I USED TO WORK ON SPORTBIKES AND THEY USE A LOT OF OIL DURING BREAK-IN COMPARED TO OUR CARS. A NEW OR FRESHLY REBUILT ENGINE IS GONNA CONSUME OIL UNTIL THE RINGS SEAT. THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS. IF YOU HAVE 20K ON YOUR WHIP AND IT'S STILL USING MORE THAN 2 QUARTS BETWEEN 3000 MILE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS, I'D GET IT CHECKED OUT. THAT'S TOO MUCH IN MY OPINION, EVEN IF YOUR REVING THE PISS OUT OF IT A LOT. son of a, i just realized i typed that in all caps. :mad: i use all caps at the office and i'm stuck in a groove. i'll do better. keep me in the good graces of the ep family, sorry. :eek: :D

Loudpedal
02-07-2004, 08:12 AM
My EP used about 3/4 of a litre (quart) of oil during the first 500 miles, however, now at 12K and the oil reading is always at the top mark on the dipstick. And I do redline the car on a daily basis. No buring oil here, now leaking it is another story.

SinisterCivicSi
02-08-2004, 09:33 AM
this is an ongoing debate with the ep since i have been on here. i think alot of it has to do with the driver and conditions at which you drive. i had a serious problem with oil consumption also when i first got my car. here is my origional thread...

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=10527&highlight=consumption

hope this helps you...there are alot of people on here that have had this problem or might be able to give advice, hope it helps.

DavidT
02-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Gearhead Geek
Well, I really couldn't tell ya. I personally stick with the Honda (Exxon/Mobil) 5w20, and, after talking to a few techs at the dealership near me, I've come to believe what the weight ratings tell us, that a 5W30 would be a bit too thin once up to operating temperature.

If 5W30 is thin at operating temps then 5W20 is even thinner! 20 weight is thinner than 30 weight. I've always used Castrol 5W-20 since day one and my car doesn't burn any oil. Even when it was new... :angel: I always monitor my oil cause I've been reading these oil threads here on EP but mine has always been at the upper dot and never below. I don't drive really hard, but some days I do take it to 7700 RPMs two or three times a day to scare people :D

Ok, just checked the oil. 2k into the oil change and it's still at the upper dot so I'm good :D Oh BTW, I always change my oil at 3000-3500 miles.